Seafoam!!!

my nsx currently has 104k miles with the ctsc. the car has some hesitation when going full throttle. i changed my supercharger oil which helped some, but for some reason, i still had some sputtering when going full throttle. the car would have a delay when i just mash on the gas when at like 3k rpm. i have always seafoamed all my cars with no problems so i figure seafoaming the nsx would be fine.

i used one of the vacuum lines behind the throttle body on my autorotor (towards the front of the car). i disconnected the line, started up the car and let it warm up. i thought i was a bit weird that the nsx was idling below 1000 constantly even with the vacuum line disconnected, but i didnt mind it much because i thought to myself that the car will fluctuate in idle.

i filled a plastic cup about 2/3 full and used a clear plastic tubing about 18" with a id of 5/16" and started sipping the seafoam. at first, no smoke or anything changed with the way the car idled, it remained at the same rpm and remained constant, no fluctuations. when i got to halfway down the seafoam, i noticed the car changed its idle, the rpm went up to about 1500 and the car would bring it back down to normal. during this change in idle, the car started smoking, which is exactly what i wanted. it was almost like something "opened up" and let more air in, maybe the seafoam did exactly what is was supposed to and got rid of the carbon inside the engine somewhere.

the car continued to smoke while i fed the seafoam. i made sure no CEL appeared and none did. when i let the car "breathe" without feeding it seafoam, it would jump up and down in idle which is what i believe is normal. while i would constantly feed it seafoam, it would idle around 1000.

after the can, i let the car sit for a good hour. i connected the vacuum line back in, restarted the car, and the smoking would continue. as i rev the engine, more smoke would pour out. i drove it around and into the highway with smoke filling the air.

i dont think is just in my head, but my car feels like is breathing easier and more eager to got WOT than before. i no longer feel any hesitation when i smash on the gas like it did before. it idles smoother and gets from a stop more willingly than before.

for those who have used seafoam, share your experience. i have nothing but positive results i think.

heres a little video of how it looks like after the seafoam treatment and letting it sit for an hour. of course, after the video thats when the smoke party started when i let it rip on the highway. im thinking about doing it again, just to see if i will smoke or not. no smoke would mean nomore carbon buildup.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo301/NSXRguy/forsale/07507531.mp4

I ran some seafoam on my car when I first picked it up with 80k miles. I put 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the engine oil, and 1/3 in this vacuum tube.

nsx_vacuum.JPG

From what I remember, mine sputtered while it sucked up the seafoam. I kept the revs up to keep the engine from stalling. But the end result was no smoke :frown:

Do you have cats on? I have test pipes, maybe that helped the smoke come out. I remember when i seafoamed my old civic with a type r motor, it smoked just a bit. When we opened up the engine though, it was very very clean. Probably the reason there was no smoke. My 07 tls was the same, barely any smoke, if any at all, not sure if the stock cats have anything to do with that.

I was very happy when my nsx smoked which is what is to be expected from such high miles. The car definitely idles and runs smoother, i dont think its just my brain playing tricks on me

I did a tune up on my gf's Lexus IS300 (115k miles) and it seemed to have helped. I only sucked up 1/2 a can via vacuum and put the rest in the gas tank to clean the injectors and fuel system. I say "seemed" because I also changed the plugs, plug wires, cleaned the TB (super dirty), and changed the air filter. Dealer wanted $800 to do what I did in 2hrs.. good lord.

I wish you had put the seafoam AFTER the super charger via the hose that feeds the CTSC pressure switch. It is uncertain if such a harsh chemical like seafoam will wear off the protective coating on the supercharger rotors.

With that said, lots of people are putting thru 50/50 meth/water before the TB but I believe pure seafoam is much more potent.

I have used Seafoam for years. 2 Bottles per treatment. 1 in the gas tank and the other divided equally between vaccum hose, crankcase.

No problems!

I have a bottle of seafoam just sitting on my work bench. Can anyone post a pic of which line to feed it into for a CTSC engine.

I have the autorotor

While youre on the driver side on the engine bay, look at te supercharger. There will be a "T" configuration of vacuum lines after the throttle body, on top of the ctsc. i believe theyre all 5/16" id. On the left of that group, there will be a songle vacuum line on the firewall side of the sc. That is what i used. I can take a pic tomorrow if needed

I use seafoam as a last resort, I would be scared to put it in my NSX

but I have never had a problem using it. great stuff.
in any motor.

as for a Super Charger, I would ask the pro's like SOS

I'm skeptical about seafoam, especially since the NSX is so dependent on vacuum for many different functions. I find a can of Techron every oil change + WOT all the time while driving until the tank is empty works great. It's fun too. :)

I reded the seafoam using a different vacuum line. For those with a ctsc, i used the T looking setup on top of the supercharger. Its the one with the 3 vacuum lines formed together and looks like a T. I used the one thatspointing towards the driver side of the car

Immediately i saw smoke come out of both exhaust tips, instead of the one from just the single tip from the other vacuum line i used. Also, everybody stayed behind me when i went onto the highway. Oh what a smoke show.

Ever since i did the seafoam, i no longer have that misfiring startup i had with my ctsc. The car starts right up instead of running with a misfire and throwing CEL codes.

For those who suffer from this Problem i read that many cTSC owners suffer from, its worth a shot.

Just to provide my 2 cents. I can't quite find teh thread.. but I was experiencing stalling and misfire CEL codes some time back. Drove me nuts. Killed my battery. I had KR Motorsports suggest Seafoam and I was very skeptical. I seafoamed the car, and what do you know, it works now! No CEL and no stalling. Very happy. My car is CTSC'd.

As an FYI/BTW/etc...

Make sure to change your engine-oil after a Seafoam treatment!

why? you can add it to your engine oil to, crankcase oil, and even in your coolant? please explain as I use it in everything when I need to use it that is.

why? you can add it to your engine oil to, crankcase oil, and even in your coolant? please explain as I use it in everything when I need to use it that is.

This little thing called combustion;). While all the engine items are being cleaned like TB passages and fuel injectors, the results are a lot of the crap gets past the rings and into the oil. Change it!!

I have used Techron also with really great results. It says it treats 20 gallons. I put it in with about 2 gallons left(so it is really concentrated), run the car to just about empty, change the oil to get the crap out of it, fill it up, all is fine:).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
just wanted to know, LOL the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked :smile:

Back