S2K Cluster in NSX

Well ... we (Chris (apkarian100) and I) have been keeping this project under wraps for a while, but we are so close to getting this project completed that we thought it was time to post a few pictures.

Over the weekend I finally installed an S2000 (AP2) cluster in my NSX and powered it up. I have to say I was not sure how this cluster would look in the NSX, but after power up ... I loved it. It really seemed to give the NSX dash a much newer look. I am more motivated to get the project completed now.

Everything but 2 things worked for the most part. I have not calibrated the speedometer yet, and we have to work on the temp guage. These 2 things are close to being done. I just ran out of time this weekend.

I am making sure everything works 100% before I move to the fit & finish and final install.

I've atatched 2 pictures, check them out. You can see the fuel guage, all dummy lights, RPM, clock working. Yes I had my foot on the gas pedal!

We'll keep you updated as we make more progess.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Hopefully we'll have more progress this week.

It's been great working with Darrin. We researched this a lot and discussed many ideas to make all the necessary components to work in the car. I can't wait to finish this up and start producing a kit for those interested in the conversion.

Last edited:
Great job guys! Erick is in the same process as you. He's been very patient working on my ap1 cluster conversion.
I'm pretty excited to get it back and fire that thing up for the first time. Keep it up!
Bill

Hey Bill,

I have been watching your thread as well. It is actually what got me going on this project. Thanks for the "props" on the progress that we (akarian100) and I have been doing.

There is a lot more to the project then we thought, but we are getting close. The fit and finish is what is tearing my up right now. But I'll figure that out.

Looking forward to seeing your finished installation as well. What year is your car that you are installing it in?

Darrin

Hi darrin! My car is a 1994 with the downforce 02 conversion. I wasn't the original poster of the
Other thread but I kinda hijacked it (sorry) yeah I'm super excited to get it back from erick. Ill make sure to do
A picture post and try to do a youtube vid.
Keep up the good work!
Bill

mokr1 .... thanks for the links. We have been to all of those site and got as much information as we could. But it never hurt to keep on looking.

I have made a trim finish template that I will testing fitting gauge with bezels this this week. This trim fits right in the NSX Cluster bezel and the S2000 cluster will be attached to it.

This is made out of .040 aluminum and it will be finished with Carbon Fiber Vaneer overlay which is .020

I will be using this to position and fit the S2000 cluster in the NSX dash housing. Once I am happy with the install, I'll then create the final trim plate with CF over lay and mounting studs for the S2000 cluster to attach to. Then final installation.

This picture is taken from the backside of NSX Cluster bezel. It replaces the NSX Cluster trim ring bezel.

S2000ClusterTrim001.jpg

More information to come once more test fitting and gauge testing is completed. I am going to try and do some tonight.

Here is a picture of how the S2000 cluster will fit in behind the trim bezel.

Now I just need to test fit in the car to amek sure everythnig fits.

GaugeinBezel.jpg

So I did my first test fit with the cluster, gauge bezel and dash bezel assembled. It was not a easy as I thought it would be but I am getting close.

I have to raise the S2000 cluster up a little so the bottom buttons & Dummy Lights can clear the dash bezel. As you can see they are a little low. I'll have another aluminum trim plate made to raise the cluster about 1/4" upward. Doing this, I am going to have to mod the rear of the NSX cluster bezel. After this adjustment I should be good to go with the final tweeks.

Testfit2.jpg

I'll touch base tomorrow when I get the new trim plate.

Another update.

RPM --- Working perfect
Fuel Gauge --- Working
Temp Guage --- Not working yet
Clock --- Working
Speedometer --- Working to exact speed
Trip Meter --- Working
Turn Signals --- Working
Bright Lights --- Working
Oil Dummy --- Working
Park Brake Light --- Working
Cruise Control Light --- Working
EPS Light --- Working
TCS Light --- Working
Door Ajar --- Kind of working
Have to sort this out yet. "Trunk Open" stays on all the time

I've attached a picture (sorry for the quality iPhone at night) to let you see the cluster in action.

AP2000Speed001.jpg

First test fit whet well as you can see in the previous post. I will be getting my new trim finish tomorrow that will raise the cluster 1/4" so the dummy lights and the buttuns clear the bezel. I'll update again when I make some more progress. Getting closer by the day.

I finished the new trim plate today. This version 2 raises the S2000 cluster up about 1/4" from where I had it located the first time. I had to raise this up due to the dummy lights and buttons on the S2000 cluster being to low and covered by the Dash Trim Bezel.

With raising the cluster, I had to mod my spare NSX Cluster Bezel I have since the S2000 cluster has to be moved out of the NSX cluster bezel edge perameters.

Here is a picture of the new trim with the S2000 cluster raised 1/4" Note that the final finish will be Carbon Fiber.

IMG_0080.jpg

More to come as I get more development.

Nicely done. Looks great.

The trunk light "on" is most likely because that wire is seeing a ground when it's not supposed to. Very easy to check and very easy to make it work. You've already done the hardest parts for sure.

It's not really that easy to fix the trunk light. It seems as if the NSX has some type of complex circuitry beyond the normal "grounded when lit" method. We've tried numerous tests and that trunk light will not go off.
Nicely done. Looks great.

The trunk light "on" is most likely because that wire is seeing a ground when it's not supposed to. Very easy to check and very easy to make it work. You've already done the hardest parts for sure.

Yeah .... I am just going to disconnect the Trunk connection from the harness and this should fix the problem until we figure what the issue is. I think this is going to be a trial and error thing.

Ingenious.Much luck with getting all sensors hooked up and calibrated.Now if you want to attain an even higher level of prime awe and admiration,make the s2000 steering wheel work as well:biggrin:

Ingenious.Much luck with getting all sensors hooked up and calibrated.Now if you want to attain an even higher level of prime awe and admiration,make the s2000 steering wheel work as well:biggrin:

Well we might just have to look into that once this project is done! LOL. You never know!

I managed to get my new trim bezel installed on the NSX cluster bezel so I can do a final test fit. I ran the wire harness around the dash frame etc. and then installed the completed cluster. Everything fit perfectly with a few mods.

I then installed the dash trim bezel that has the light modules and TCS switch to see how it fit and it fit like a glove. My goal with this was to use as many stock parts as I could with minimal mods so a "custom" molded bezel would not be needed. Looks like mission accomplished!

Here's a picture of the final test fit with the cluster powered up and running.

IMG_0103.jpg

Last thing to complete is the temp gauge. After talking things over with Chris (apkarian100) I think we found our answer. I am going to test it tomorrow and see how it works out. We are pretty confident we have it though.

After the Temp gauge is working ... I can then get the aluminum trim bezel vaneered with carbon fiber, have the inside edges painted black and complete the final install. This should happen very soon.

Chris and I can then possibly put together a DYI kit if others are interested.

Great job guys! Erick should be along the same guidelines as you....gosh I'm getting excited to get mine back
I've been staring at an empty hole since april lol. Great job...good job with the r&d glad we have people
Like you guys and erick to make neat projects like this. As far as the cluster for a diy...can you make one for an integra?
Good job again
Bill

they have swapped these clusters in crx's, civics, tegs. so yes it can be done :)

Sure it can be done and it has been done ... but almost all those you metioned are 4 cyl. It's not that easy trying to swap into a 6 cyl. It has taken a lot of research, trial and error and then getting it to even fit in the NSX using stock parts has been a challenge.

The fact the this has not been done in an NSX yet (as far as we all know) has to say something. I am definately not the brains behind this converstion and the credit needs to go to Chriss (apkarian100). All I have done is the final fit and trim peices needed for final installation.

Last edited:
Back