• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

running out of places to look for NSX's

but the problem is not the price for me..
Based on the fact that you are quoting Edmunds and KBB, I think it is.

although i think 40k is VERY fair for a 97 with about 50k miles.. (both edmunds and kbb price out a PERFECT/EXCELLENT condition 97 for about 37k-39k and thats DEALER RETAIL)..
Both Edmunds and KBB are ridiculously inaccurate for low-production cars like the NSX.

Edmunds says that an outstanding condition '91 NSX with 50K miles sells for $14,910 from a private party and $18,484 at dealer retail. You can look for this deal for the next ten years and not find one. Heck, I'll even give you a $5K finder's fee for any outstanding condition NSX you can find me at these prices, and that still leaves me enough to re-sell each car with a profit of $7-10K. What does that tell you about the values published by Edmunds?

You're not going to find a decent condition '97+ NSX for $40K. THAT'S why you're not finding any. If you're lucky, you might find a nice one for $47-50K. But for $40K, NFW.

Last edited:
I just changed insurance coverage on my '91, from a standard company, to a collector's insurance company. The standard insurance company quoted mid $20's for replacement if the car were totaled, because they use Edmunds, NADA, and Kelly as a value guide.

The collector's company, valued my car at $41K as replacement value. Yes, $41K on my 1991 with 28,000 miles! That means, if my car is totalled tomorrow, I receive a $41K check to cover my loss.

This should tell you something about the '97 you are shopping for, in the $40K range.

You'll have more luck if you change your search criterior to 95-96, and include other colors.

The standard insurance company quoted mid $20's for replacement if the car were totaled, because they use Edmunds, NADA, and Kelly as a value guide.
Most of the top insurance companies do not use Edmunds or Kelly to compute the payoff in the event that the car is totalled. They may tell you that just to give you a rough idea, but that doesn't mean that that is how much you will get.

Every NSX owner I know who has totalled his car - and unfortunately, there have been quite a few - has received reimbursement from his insurance company that was within a grand or two of what he considered its fair market value, and about half of them have received more. NOT the Edmunds or Kelly fantasy numbers.

The only thing I can tell you is that if you are only willing to pay up to $40k for one of the FEW white 97+ NSXs, you will will be looking for a LONG time. The reason I say this is because I will outbid you for any white/black manual, and I am sure I am not the only one.

Haha. Lets play Price Is Right. "Bob, that 97 white NSX is worth $40,001"

(mind if I take your coworkers for a spin in it?) :biggrin:

Every NSX owner I know who has totalled his car - and unfortunately, there have been quite a few - has received reimbursement from his insurance company that was within a grand or two of what he considered its fair market value, and about half of them have received more. NOT the Edmunds or Kelly fantasy numbers.

I used to own a Type-R, and the same held true for them as well.
They were stolen left and right, and Edminds and Kelly were WAY off on price.

The insurance co always paid fair market though after a bit of a fight sometimes.

Most of the top insurance companies do not use Edmunds or Kelly to compute the payoff in the event that the car is totalled. They may tell you that just to give you a rough idea, but that doesn't mean that that is how much you will get.

Interesting.

I just sold my 98 Yellow NSX with 76k miles for $40k after 6 months on the market. I turned down $41.5k 6 months ago, go figure. What I fould out is that there are a lot of low-ballers out there wanting a 97-up NSX for the price of a 91-94 NSX.

Eek! I turned down 35k for my '91 with the busted engine 6 months ago.

I thanked him for his offer and interest but that I wasn't "selling anything at this moment."

You should listen to the advice you have been given. It is sound.

By way of example, my 1993 with 99,000 miles was totalled at $29,400 in late 2005.

There are deals to be had, but the car you describe would likely be snapped up quickly at $45k by 10 people on this site alone.

You should remember that you posted this thread because you can't find that car at $40k. There is a reason for that.

KBB will tell you a pristine 1988 BMW M5 with 60,000 miles is worth $5k from a dealer. I would by 10 at that price if I could as would 1000 other people. You would be lucky to buy that M5 private party for $15k.

The NSX does not follow a standard depreciation curve, and in many cases is holding its value. Good 1997s have been in the Mid 40s for several years. Good early coupes have been hovering around $30k for years.

Last edited:
I looked 8 months and test drove 6 nsxs before flying to FL to pick up my 92 GPW w/ 100k for $34k in need of a $3,500k in normal maintenance service (clutch, timing belt) I WOULD NOT SELL YOU MY CAR FOR 40K. well maybe under the right circumstances if i ever needed the money. KBB is way off. Ebay sells crashed 97's for over 25k. or previous accident /salvage 97's over $35k (run car fax if it on ebay, its probably rebuilt. - I am speaking from lots of wasted time and money). A Rebuilt - salvaged 91 will sell over $23k - go figure? 97-02 GPW 40k?..... not most likely, not unless u want to waste $1-2k traveling / looking at so called good deals. And 100hrs on line and traveling. so lets say your wasted personal time is worth $40hr minimum. (if its less than that don't buy an nsx). Thats another $4k. so add these combined $5-6k in time and money wasters to your budget and get that nsx quick. before every one else in the world realizes that a aluminum alloy chassis and body w/ forged aluminum suspension, forged pistons, first production titanium connecting rods, 8,000 RPM 1991 Historic Ferrari killer, true MR super car that will never rust and pull 12-13's 1/4's with over 150k miles and no need for rebuilding, or never become dull or slow by any means, was a god damm steal for $82k new. Especially when the new model that is only going to be a 1-1.5sec quicker in the 1/4 is 150k! Just wait till your 97 NSX budget goes to 60-70k in 2010.

here is the best advice I can give. Consider my theory.
94 Ferrari w/25k mi. good condition current value= 45k new= $150k
91 NSX w/100k mi good condition value = $30k new= $52k

Reverse mileage and you really see the value in a NSX.
94 Ferrari w/100k mi. good cond. value $20k if anyone will buy it! good luck!
91 NSX w/25k mi. good cond value $40k

Cost you an arm and a leg to go look at a NSX out of state for sale ?

Round trip tickets cost $300, and even at highest, $400, plus lunch, etc, its going to cost maybe $500 a trip.

Just get assurances from the seller on the cars condition, tell them your willing to fly out and look at it.

If your complaining about a $300 - $500 trip to go look at possibly the "right" car, it sounds like your not financially ready to buy an Nsx. Or, your just not serious enough about buying one.

When I was ready to purchase I went in EXPECTING to travel to get my car. I budgeted for a plane ticket, food/gas and tolls. If I happened to find something near by that didn't require traveling then that would be an added bonus and the money saved would go towards the downpayment. I found my car over 900 miles away and couldn't be happier. Before you fly out to look at a car (if you are really serious) have a fellow member in the area look at it in person to give you a non-biased third party opinion. Post in the appropriate regional forum.

On a side note, please don't use KBB or Edmunds for negotiating a price. It would be a slap in the face to the seller. They are absolute trash when it comes to the real market value of the NSX.

i have a 98 white/blk might sell if the price is right! 28k miles and perfect with mods, wheel, teins , nsx-r engine cover from procar, bride seats on the way.
make me a offer north of 55k and its yours.

i have a 98 white/blk might sell if the price is right! 28k miles and perfect with mods, wheel, teins , nsx-r engine cover from procar, bride seats on the way.
make me a offer north of 55k and its yours.

You mean you wouldn't take $40K-45K for it? :wink:

Come on you guys, give this kid a break. He probably had no clue what it would take to buy and NSX, let alone a white one.

I like the travel comments though. I know I flew to see cars after seeing pictures, etc., and that my car came from the east coast and cost me a round trip ticket and a day of time. Well worth it - my car is spotless.

The bottom line is if you do not have the money to do this and are not really ready to buy when that car becomes available, then you are going to miss out. It is truly the early bird that gets this worm.

i bought a 93 gpw with 40k, sitting on 2005 rims, and aftermarket exhaust, with original rims and exhaust as back up, i looked for over two years willing to go out west, there was a 92 w/ 7k in snapring, a 96 gpw targa in maryland had check in hand and the guy flaked out atlast minute then came back to me months later and flaked again(actually was going to drive it up when visiting relatives but wouldnt allow me to have it inspected by my mechanic go figure.) i wanted one as close to stock and reasonable mileage i paid 38k for it last year, actually was an hour away from me so saved travel and shipping. borrowed dealer plate from friend and drove her home very carefully. put a whopping 750 miles on her and now sits covered inthe garage till spring. you have to be realistic in your goals and do you homework. i will say white is pretty unique as when my brother is around with 91 black w/ivory there are more comments about the white one mostly ihave never seen one before.....so be patient and good luck. broaden your expectations.
hope this helps

i bought a 93 gpw with 40k, sitting on 2005 rims, and aftermarket exhaust, with original rims and exhaust as back up, i looked for over two years willing to go out west, there was a 92 w/ 7k in snapring, a 96 gpw targa in maryland had check in hand and the guy flaked out atlast minute then came back to me months later and flaked again(actually was going to drive it up when visiting relatives but wouldnt allow me to have it inspected by my mechanic go figure.) i wanted one as close to stock and reasonable mileage i paid 38k for it last year, actually was an hour away from me so saved travel and shipping. borrowed dealer plate from friend and drove her home very carefully. put a whopping 750 miles on her and now sits covered inthe garage till spring. you have to be realistic in your goals and do you homework. i will say white is pretty unique as when my brother is around with 91 black w/ivory there are more comments about the white one mostly ihave never seen one before.....so be patient and good luck. broaden your expectations.
hope this helps

Can you use some punctuation? Hard to read.

Wow, what a thread!

I also started with KBB & Edmonds as reference points, but they don't reflect the true 'MARKET VALUE' of the NSX. Once you get to the ads, the prices are all over the charts. But anyone spending time in researching the ads can get a grasp on the typical $ range depending on year, mileage, mods and condition. Then you'll know what you can expect to find, what you can afford, and how big of an additional stack of cash will be needed to put it in your garage.

My search lasted about 5 months, and I'm still a bit surprised it didn't take longer after reading a lot of real life experiences on 'Prime'.

I was pleased to find a great car that met my desires within a 3 hour drive of home. Most told me it would be hard to find, but things worked out nicely in my case.

Good luck. I hope you can find the right car for you. I must say that I'm thrilled to have an NSX and absolutely love driving it. I'm sure you will feel the same some day (soon?).

Cheers!

LOL!! Although it is a different car, I had an Evolution VIII when they first came out. I mean, I was #2 on the waiting list. Luckily I paid $700 under sticker for the car (not over sticker like everyone else was paying), but after a little over 2 months I put it up for sale. I drove it all over the country in that 2 months, so with 18,526 miles on the odometer I listed it for around $26,000 or best offer. Again, keep in mind that the sticker was over $32,000, AND people were still on waiting lists paying $40,000 and above for these cars around the country. Well, I had idiots calling me saying, 'Your car has high mileage...I will give you $18,000 cash right now for it,' and they must have though by emphasizing the word cash that I would thank my lucky stars, forget that I would be losing $14,000 and sell them the car. I finally told one guy, 'Look...I bet you would give me $18,000. Hell...if you find some for $18,000 sitting around, CALL ME, and I will buy every single one of them,' and that was it. :mad:

It seems even more dumb that someone would do that with an NSX. Unless you get someone who is desperate to sell for some reason, most NSX owners know the value of their car and are not going to be struck dumb just because you say the word cash on your lowball offer. :rolleyes:

Yah....i never understood why people think that when they say they'll pay cash for a car, that you'll all of the sudden jump for joy. What the hell else are they going to pay with? Shells??? :confused:

First timer,

just purchased a '97 spa yallow targa for $50g with 9000 miles, call me a fool, but I found it on line and purchased it from Fla. was in KC for 8 years with 1700 miles usage. I originally was to make a deal in Vegas for a 2001 with 13500 miles and a supercharger, fortunately the owner pulled it from the market. I felt lucky not to follow thru. I feel much better about an unmolested '97. The price is what your willing to pay. For me.. I'm happy and I feel the market price will only rise. Supply and demand.. period.

Love it

Back