Ron Dennis gets his license yanked

McLaren chief Ron Dennis has lost his driver’s license for six months after running a red light in England. The judge was unsympathetic to Dennis’s plea that he needed the license so he could take care of his daughter on weekends. Ironically the traffic violation came almost 12 months after McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton got in trouble with police for burning rubber when leaving the track in Australia.

That sucks seems like a severe punishment, not knowing the circumstances. Anyway it's coincidentily not ironically:wink:

That DOES seem a bit extreme, but I guess I won't be running any red lights in England anytime soon so the effect on me is very minimal.

I am sure Hamilton laughed a little after hearing this. One of those "Do as I say, not as I do" situations when you were growing up.

i·ron·i·cal·ly/īˈränik(ə)lē/Adverb
1. In an ironic manner.
2. Used to denote a paradoxical, unexpected, or coincidental situation.

"Drivers" and the enjoyment of "driving" (not that this includes running the lights) is seen as the devil by many authorities in the UK---where I am.

They are however smiled upon as being a great cash-cow filling up the coffers of the government purse through very large annual charges for road usage tax, fuel duty and tax on top, speeding tickets, annual vehicle inspections etc. Motoring is very pricey over here......

There is a smug grin on the faces of those who can inflict over the top penalties on drivers in my mind. People in authority love to shaft others.....

In the UK you get 12 points to use up before you lose your license. For running a red, it is 3 points. You also get 3 points for speeding, or possibly more depending on how fast you were going. So, Mr Dennis has been a naughty boy on more than one occasion! :wink:

BBC's Australia F1 coverage included a promo spot with Jenson Button driving the McLaren MP4-12C and Eddy Jordan as a passenger on the same track that the F1 race runs on.

The video crew sure got a good work-out, as the camera angles and picture quality were just superb. Eddy Jordan stayed absolutely silent during the ride. Jenson was driving with abandon.

Back