Road And Track says only 410HP :(

Do you think that the engine will use a drysump system?

When you look at the video , the engine seems to be pretty low!

About its design I think it is very nice and will age well. I am astonished how this car seems to be incredibly aerodynamically efficient. I wonder how low will be its Cx coefficient!

from my experience in high end radio controlled cars, trucks, boats, and helis, brushless motor systems paired with lithium batteries make more power than a gas motor ever could. also, electric motors have instant and consistent torque, meaning that they have the same torque output from 1rpm all they way to their max.

Now i know this is a distant comparison but i do believe that this technology could easily be scaled up to automobil size.

check out this traxxas xo-1 with an 11.1v lithium polymer battery.you can build a car this fast for under 400$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bEZbkTbBcU&feature=related

Actually, the way electric motors work is max torque from 0 rpm (stalled) and ZERO torque at MAX rpm (no load). The rotation of the armature/rotor in the magnetic field creates a voltage that works opposite the power supply. When the motor reaches max rpm, that voltage is exactly balanced against the supply voltage so that the motor cannot spin any faster. The power it consumes is strictly to overcome friction at that rpm. When you have a load on the motor, the rpm drops, the back voltage is therefore lower, and the incoming power makes torque.

edit: Rereading your post, I think what you wanted to say is that electric motors have very linear torque (consistent as you said), which they definitely do. It's just that the torque linearly goes lower as RPM climbs.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered that the hybrid system might be balanced toward less power and lighter weight?

For example, if I were designing the powertrain, I would want to test a scenario where the electrics were used primarily for handling and less so for acceleration. This would mean the motors could be smaller, the wiring lighter, the battery pack much smaller…. Everything would be optimally sized to provide the active handling benefits implied by SH-AWD instead of brute force acceleration. Of course, with the motors and battery now sitting there, we can use them for some accelerative power for fuel economy and performance, but we wouldn't make them bigger simply for better 0-60 times. Although the acceleration might not be as good as a more powerful system, the whole car will be lighter, the system will be less expensive, the handling will be much better, and so on.

There is a spectrum of compromise that they will be exploring I think, and one of those is how big a hybrid system is appropriate. I would not assume they will go the brute force way, when a much more lightweight design is also possible.

Last edited:
Com'on guys, I don't even think Honda knows how many HP it will have. They haven't even figure out what size engine to use. If the current J series motor is almost at that figure with SOHC, do you honestly think Honda will give up on at least 100HP/Liter philosophy? After all, they have already done more than that with B, C and F series motors.

Just wait and let Honda tell us what it will have. After all, they have to meet the performance of GTR or it will be DOA.

In 2008 I met mr. Uehara in France and I asked him what he would change in the NSX if he had designed it in 2008 instead of 1990.

His simple answers was: LESS WEIGHT !!

In other words, he still considered the NSX an excellent car (and I agree).
Currently my mildly tuned NSX has about 300-310 HP.
I have a Comptech Supercharger in my living room (for months now) that should up the power to about 400 HP.
I've also removed some weight from the car and currently it is at 1370 kg (3020 Lbs) with a full tank. That will give me an advantage to, for example, a Audi R8 just because of the lighter weight alone.
So, if the new NSX would have a similar output and a similar weight (not unlikely when you add a lot of batteries for the electric motors) the deal would be THAT THERE WOULD BE NO ADVANTAGE AT ALL !!!

So, PLEASE Honda, don't make this new car a 400-420 HP NSX.

Back