Road And Track says only 410HP :(

It really has to be 500HP to be taken seriously as a super car these days.

The NSX was never taken seriously with 290HP when everything had 400+ and that was in 2002. Surely they wont make that mistake again.

Is KERS viable in a full weight street car? It would definitely be cool to have as a gimmick, but I can foresee it adding a decent amount of weight. The flywheel would need to weight at least 3-4 times the amount used in F1 today.

Is the Porsche 911 or Cayman S considered a "Super Car"? Heck, I don't think even the R8 is considered a "Super Car".

I hope Honda doesn't go the "Super Car" marketing route on this one. No matter what they do it's not going to be perceived as competition to the Ferrari or Lambo. It should come in less than the R8 - because it's going to have less performance than the R8 of 2015.

They need to price this less than $100K and compete with higher-end sports cars not super cars. Compete with the Cayman, Evora, 911 and the Z06/ZR-1 Vette.

Sales have to be more than a few hundred a year - but rather a few thousand a year and they only way they can do this is to come in less than $100K.

The only thing Honda could do is to make a limited edition NSX 2 with a turbo or supercharged v6 that has 500hp. Then they could charge $150K and offer 100 or 200 copies. At least that way they would have the ecomonies of scale of the base level car to make this work.

-Jim

If THey kept to the ORIGINAL IDEA of less is more. Less wieght means less HP to get to a cetain MPH at a certain time.

Read the last line 0-60 in 3sec...So I dont care if it has les than 500hp or 600(now...shut up Dave...) If it can't use it's useless. IE Mustang. Show me the total performance numbers.

0-60 (3s)
0-100(around 6s or more)
190mph top end

if it can do something along those lines who cares about the 410hp..

Is the Porsche 911 or Cayman S considered a "Super Car"? Heck, I don't think even the R8 is considered a "Super Car".

I hope Honda doesn't go the "Super Car" marketing route on this one. No matter what they do it's not going to be perceived as competition to the Ferrari or Lambo. It should come in less than the R8 - because it's going to have less performance than the R8 of 2015.

They need to price this less than $100K and compete with higher-end sports cars not super cars. Compete with the Cayman, Evora, 911 and the Z06/ZR-1 Vette.

Sales have to be more than a few hundred a year - but rather a few thousand a year and they only way they can do this is to come in less than $100K.

The only thing Honda could do is to make a limited edition NSX 2 with a turbo or supercharged v6 that has 500hp. Then they could charge $150K and offer 100 or 200 copies. At least that way they would have the ecomonies of scale of the base level car to make this work.

-Jim

Personally I would like to see them go the Porsche 911 route. Base, 4S,GT3, turbo, GT2

Then they could do:
1. V6-400HP no electric $75K
2. V6 Hybrid, 475HP $100K
3. V6 Turbo, 550HP $120K
4. V6 Turbo GT 575HP -300lbs. $150K.

Works for Porsche.

Last edited:
I've never read any of this do you have a link? It's always been 400hp with motors that I've read and again that was for RL. Also the 7spd dsg is also for the RL they haven't said what speed would go in the NSX just that it's DSG. Most specualation is they would use the 8 speed originally for the ASCC.

I read it here on prime. And my mistake it was 400hp with motors. But the rest of my post was just speculation. Where did you hear about the 8speed?

Personally I would like to see them go the Porsche 911 route. Base, 4S,GT3, turbo, GT2

Then they could do:
1. V6-400HP no electric $75K
2. V6 Hybrid, 475HP $100K
3. V6 Turbo, 550HP $120K
4. V6 Turbo GT 575HP -300lbs. $150K.

Works for Porsche.

I like it.

They really need those economies of scale to make it viable.

-Jim

My old friend always said "Horsepower" sells cars but "Torque" wins races. :biggrin:

I feel that the japanese have been digressing while the Koreans and Americans have been improving in their car line up.

GTR is a solid bang for the buck, but it misses the mark on the looks.

If I didn't know any better I would think that the Japanese have purposely architect their cars to have a design flaw by not having a proper balance of looks, handling/braking, and power.

I believe the final # should be 380-400hp on the gas engine(assume it's 3.5L V6) and ~480-500hp in total combined. I am not expecting 120hp/L F20C level but 400hp is a reasonable # for Honda on the new V6 3.5L.

Though if it's 3.7L I expect at least 410-420hp on the gas engine itself, or Honda is just not trying their best...

Last edited:
I believe the final # should be 380-400hp on the gas engine(assume it's 3.5L V6) and ~480-500hp in total combined. I am not expecting 120hp/L F20C level but 400hp is a reasonable # for Honda on the new V6 3.5L.

Though if it's 3.7L I expect at least 410-420hp on the gas engine itself, or Honda is just not trying their best...

At least 100hp/L on the gas engine alone would be the bare minimum. That would make it 350-370hp depending on displacement, plus another 100 from the electric motors/IMA for around ~450-470hp total. Would you guys be happy with that?

The NSX was never taken seriously with 290HP when everything had 400+ and that was in 2002. Surely they wont make that mistake again.

One can only hope; but you never know with Honda. When you read their official announcement for this possible NSX replacement, they talk about it with great emphasis on it being environmentally friendly and all that. If Honda goes overly green on this car and just ends up with good enough performance for awesome fuel efficiency and super low emmisions etc., it will flop again. They can do the electric motors and the battery and all that jazz, but only if it improves performance and handling and not just because it makes the car more environmentally friendly. They make plenty of environmentally friendly cars already. This is to be their performance showcase...their halo car...the car the enthusiasts want and lust after...

They need to either go all out or not do this thing at all.

It needs to perform like or almost like a GTR but cost no more than a GTR either.
It needs to handle like a Ferrari.
It needs to look way better than a GTR and as good as or better than the R-8. The design has potential, they need to tweek it and improve upon it.
It needs to have a driver focused interior as good in quality as or better than the R-8.
It needs to have an exhaust note that raises the hackles on your back....if it can sound like the LFA, it will be a dream. But not even a Ferrari has the sound track of an LFA.

It needs to be low to the ground...very low. A must for an exotic. I don't care how hard it is to get in to.

At least 100hp/L on the gas engine alone would be the bare minimum. That would make it 350-370hp depending on displacement, plus another 100 from the electric motors/IMA for around ~450-470hp total. Would you guys be happy with that?

I think it depends on how those electric motors work.

Does it mean 0-60 is 3.5 seconds, 0-100 is 7 seconds, 0-150 is 30 seconds cause the batteries are now dead?

We can only speculate until we have more info.

I am pretty happy with my car right now around 400HP. It's fun, its fast and the gas mileage is OK. Would I like to have the same power and get 40mpg.. that would be great.... but I wouldn't pay $100K for it.

I think it depends on how those electric motors work.

Does it mean 0-60 is 3.5 seconds, 0-100 is 7 seconds, 0-150 is 30 seconds cause the batteries are now dead?

We can only speculate until we have more info.

I am pretty happy with my car right now around 400HP. It's fun, its fast and the gas mileage is OK. Would I like to have the same power and get 40mpg.. that would be great.... but I wouldn't pay $100K for it.

good point

I read it here on prime. And my mistake it was 400hp with motors. But the rest of my post was just speculation. Where did you hear about the 8speed?

While the ASCC was still being tested one of the people taking spy shots got a pic of the interior and said they noticed an 8speed DSG. This was back in 08.

12/10 in C/D when they were asking questions about the next RL and they found this out

We were told that Acura will soon introduce something unconventional sometime around the launch of the new flagship sedan. Will it be sporty? Probably. Will it be called NSX? Who knows. Will it be the front-engine supercar we saw lapping the Nürburgring a couple of years ago? No. Although that car was all but finished, according to Acura insiders, it was cancelled—not even shelved—due to Honda’s concerns that it might be crass to offer a $150K–$175K sports car in the face of worldwide economic hardship. However, much of the technology developed for that car will appear in the new car. Whatever it’s called.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-will-keep-flagship-sedan-conservative-may-add-high-end-sporty-vehicle-to-lineup/

This also shows that Honda isn't trying to sell a $150k car.

supercar and 410 hp and 100k =:mad:
i rather buy a used lambo

supercar and 410 hp and 100k =:mad:
i rather buy a used lambo

Where the hell did you get 100k from? :confused: Honda didn't mention anything about price or any specs other than the V6 Hybrid and electric motors up front. Nothing was mentioned about actual horsepower either.

Where the hell did you get 100k from? :confused: Honda didn't mention anything about price or any specs other than the V6 Hybrid and electric motors up front. Nothing was mentioned about actual horsepower either.

LOL Thank you! They haven't said anything and people here have thrown it under the bus for being underpowered and overpriced without knowing pricing or engine specs.

It's hilarious how many threads have been started about HP that's never been given!

from my experience in high end radio controlled cars, trucks, boats, and helis, brushless motor systems paired with lithium batteries make more power than a gas motor ever could. also, electric motors have instant and consistent torque, meaning that they have the same torque output from 1rpm all they way to their max.

Now i know this is a distant comparison but i do believe that this technology could easily be scaled up to automobil size.

check out this traxxas xo-1 with an 11.1v lithium polymer battery.you can build a car this fast for under 400$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bEZbkTbBcU&feature=related

Last edited:
Mods, can we please close all these redundant threads please? And just keep one open, or consolidate all these threads to just one. It's getting confusing keeping up on all these different ones.

I feel that the japanese have been digressing while the Koreans and Americans have been improving in their car line up.

GTR is a solid bang for the buck, but it misses the mark on the looks.

If I didn't know any better I would think that the Japanese have purposely architect their cars to have a design flaw by not having a proper balance of looks, handling/braking, and power.

I agree with you.

While the ASCC was still being tested one of the people taking spy shots got a pic of the interior and said they noticed an 8speed DSG. This was back in 08.

12/10 in C/D when they were asking questions about the next RL and they found this out

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-will-keep-flagship-sedan-conservative-may-add-high-end-sporty-vehicle-to-lineup/

This also shows that Honda isn't trying to sell a $150k car.

Nice if it will come to be reality. I just wish we had more info on the powertrain from Honda themselves. If they really are going to try and sell a $150k car it better competitive in that price range. Personally I am ready to trade in my '05 RL for the next gen RL if they don't uglify it. As for the NSX I'll have to wait and see. I'm loving the looks of it minus the beak though.

How many times R&T made false predictions !!!

Honda will make a revolution again.

They set a new na power output standard with the S2000 at 120 hp/L.

They just can't go lower than that, especially with the aid of a direct injection system and moreover they will want to beat the Ferrari 458 Italia engine output.

My prediction: 147 hp/L. ( or in the very worst case: 130 hp/L )

Aren't we talking about their future Halo car ?

It does mean more than 514 hp or around 455 hp in the worst case assuming 3,5 L of displacement.

With 3,7 L we are in the 540 hp realm or 480 hp in the most conservative case!!!

Just imagine with 4,0 L or like it happened in 1990 to bring a 3,0 L opposed to the Ferrari 3,2 L of its 328 ( 93,75% of Ferrari engine displacement ):

93,75 % of 4,5 L = 4,2 L

4,2 L x ( 130 hp/L or 147 hp/L ) = 546 hp or 617 hp !!!

No turbo, it is not Honda.

Now we add the contribution of the electric motor inside the transmission as well as the two front electric motors and Honda will have a fantastic supercar that could well establish a new benchmark in the automotive history.

An absolute super performer as well as an efficient ( thus green ) vehicle.

Honda can do it and IMVHO should do it because when they refused to create the Mc Laren F1 powertrain they made a huge mistake ...

Be prepared to witness a new sportscar era with this new Hybrid.

Maybe it will kill the non hybrid sportscar era.

BRAVO Honda.

Back