• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

REVIEW: Science of Speed New Sport 275 Clutch

no issues with mine , but I have not stressed it.

I have a 275 Sport Clutch with about 20,000 miles on it. It has shuddered on takeoff for maybe the last 15,000. Sometimes it goes away a brief period, but most of the time it vibrates the car hard on launch.

Looking at the previous post here by SoS they suggested lubrication may be an issue. I'm taking my car in for its 150k mile service in a few months and I'd like them to look at the clutch again. What specific areas should they inspect for adequate lubrication or otherwise?

I have a 275 Sport Clutch with about 20,000 miles on it. It has shuddered on takeoff for maybe the last 15,000. Sometimes it goes away a brief period, but most of the time it vibrates the car hard on launch.

Looking at the previous post here by SoS they suggested lubrication may be an issue. I'm taking my car in for its 150k mile service in a few months and I'd like them to look at the clutch again. What specific areas should they inspect for adequate lubrication or otherwise?
Mine would cause vibration only when I try feathering the clutch pedal/engagement. You know those hills of SF. But if semi sprinted getaway no issues. I first blamed it on worn engine mounts but after replacing them it didn't change much. I don't know what else you can lubricate except the fork.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Solidol,

just wondering why you said next time you would go with the OS giken. Because I'm debating between the SOS and OS giken.

Solidol,

just wondering why you said next time you would go with the OS giken. Because I'm debating between the SOS and OS giken.
I heard the OS Giken is the bomb but I also hear it chatters like crazy. If you have a non boosted or even a low boosted ctsc' d car, just stick with oem. Lots less headaches. I even have an oem on my boosted ride. Sure it is a little spongy but it lasts and doesn't created more issues after solving only 1.

I am all ears. Please let us all know the benifits and pitfalls. But you do waffle a lot.:-) plus you track the car. Tell me why I need to switch to aftermarket. And Roger, dont bring up tacos!!!! :-D

I am all ears. Please let us all know the benifits and pitfalls. But you do waffle a lot.:-) plus you track the car. Tell me why I need to switch to aftermarket. And Roger, dont bring up tacos!!!! :-D
First of all, you don't need to switch to anything just because I say so. And, excuse me? I don't waffle on things i've personally tested and i'm providing feedback on it. If i'm pondering or hypothesizing then, sure i'll take guesses like anyone else. Perhaps that's what you're considering waffling. At least I don't pretend something is true when it's not or say something is false when it's not.

Anyone can drive my car and some can force it to chatter if they want to. Hell, I can force an OEM twin disc to chatter too if I wanted to. However, if you read what you wrote you're making it seem like the OSG clutch wants to chatter in it's natural state or has a tendency to chatter. That is simply not true. Ask the half dozen guys in SoCal who run this clutch. It's one of the best, if not THE best clutch for the NSX in my opinion. If you said, it's noisy.. yes I would agree with you 100% but even then when most hear it in person it's not as noisy as some of the other floating clutches.

Why should you use the OSG? That's on page 8 or 9 on my build thread. Billy Johnson agrees too so don't take my word for it. He only drives #66 these days. He doesn't know what he's talking about either haha :)

518561_orig.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION] whomever you "heard" it from.. I hope they were able to break it in first before providing you feedback. The clutch takes a while longer to break in than most in my experience and when new its more sensitive to chattering. Once it's broken in it's a great clutch. Is it the right clutch for you? Who knows...

First of all, you don't need to switch to anything just because I say so. And, excuse me? I don't waffle on things i've personally tested and i'm providing feedback on it. If i'm pondering or hypothesizing then, sure i'll take guesses like anyone else. Perhaps that's what you're considering waffling. At least I don't pretend something is true when it's not or say something is false when it's

And @Jinks whomever you "heard" it from.. I hope they were able to break it in first before providing you feedback. The clutch takes a while longer to break in than most in my experience and when new its more sensitive to chattering. Once it's broken in it's a great clutch. Is it the right clutch for you? Who knows...
Hahah! My trick worked. I got you to review the clutch I hear this and that about. Thanks! It was just a friendly joke about you waffling. My post sounded a little crass, but it is because I heard good and bad but never seen a review even though everyone claims it to be the best.

[MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION], I hope my post didn't make you angry. It was in a joking manner hence the smiley emo's. Please carry on about your OS clutch. Shad says it is the only one worth buying so it must be good. But I like oem reliability and the void of fiddling. The SOS clutch I was told is just a repackaged rps clutch?

[MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION], no worries amigo! (no mexican food pun intended). If anything, I hope to help.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a 6 speed, which giken unit would you use?
I believe only the 4.4 Final Drive is available in the 6spd OSG LSD Unit. It's a bit too short for me but depends how you drive your car?

Oh I should have said what I was talking about. I looked on their website. All the clutches are duel units. What clutch would a 6 speed user pick if they wanted to use the giken clutch?

I believe only the 4.4 Final Drive is available in the 6spd OSG LSD Unit. It's a bit too short for me but depends how you drive your car?

Oh I should have said what I was talking about. I looked on their website. All the clutches are duel units. What clutch would a 6 speed user pick if they wanted to use the giken clutch?
you can double check with OSG USA but I was 99% sure they only have clutches that work with the twin disc input shaft. This means, on your 6spd you need to open the trans and swap out the input shaft to the 6spd Type R shaft which is designed for the earlier twin disc, not the single disc, dual mass flywheel that comes stock in the 6spds.

Why should you use the OSG? That's on page 8 or 9 on my build thread. Billy Johnson agrees too so don't take my word for it. He only drives [URL=http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=66]#66 [/URL] these days. He doesn't know what he's talking about either haha :)

518561_orig.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
Looks like #66 co driver ate too many taco's http://www.motorsport.com/wec/tv/wo...ford-gt-crashes-massively-at-eau-rouge-54670/

- - - Updated - - -

Why should you use the OSG? That's on page 8 or 9 on my build thread. Billy Johnson agrees too so don't take my word for it. He only drives #66 these days. He doesn't know what he's talking about either haha :)

518561_orig.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
Looks like #66 co driver ate too many taco's http://www.motorsport.com/wec/tv/world-endurance-championship/66-ford-gt-crashes-massively-at-eau-rouge-54670/

you can double check with OSG USA but I was 99% sure they only have clutches that work with the twin disc input shaft. This means, on your 6spd you need to open the trans and swap out the input shaft to the 6spd Type R shaft which is designed for the earlier twin disc, not the single disc, dual mass flywheel that comes stock in the 6spds.
Thanks that helps a bunch. I thought I remembered something like that

Mine is new.....only put about 100 miles since installed......a little chatter on the drive home from dealer,but that has gone away.....very easy clutch pedal ,,,since I was coming from the powergrip......engages like oem.
What exactly is chatter? Is it vibration on the clutch pedal as you depress it?

What exactly is chatter? Is it vibration on the clutch pedal as you depress it?
sometimes you can feel a vibration, but more often in my experience it's a medium-pitch not-quite-grinding sound. like someone playing a cello but rougher.

the pressure plate and disc seem to make a clattering sound when releasing or engaging..

Does that ever happen when installing the SOS 275 clutch? If so, what does a technician/mechanic need to know/do to eliminate that? I mean, the last thing that one would want is clattering or chatter after spending close to $5000 to get a new clutch installed, including labour

Some performances clutches just do that ...but any SOS related hardware issues reach out to Chris and the team, they are helpful with their stuff..

Some performances clutches just do that ...but any SOS related hardware issues reach out to Chris and the team, they are helpful with their stuff..
Wouldn’t that be too late if the clutch was already installed? What would Chris and the SOS team say to a mechanic (or me) that would eliminate any such possibility of developing annoying noises before the install is completed?

Back