Restaurant Recommendations for Christmas Dinner

The NSXCA Bay Area Chapter Officers have began the plannning of our Annual Christmas Dinner and we would
like to ask for recommendations for a restaurant for this years Christmas Dinner. The date for the Christmas Dinner
will be within the first two weeks of December, more than likely the dinner will be on a Tuesday, Wednesday or
Thursday. We will have confirmation as soon as a restaurant has been selected.

The feedback from those who attended last years Christmas Dinner had a great time at Izzy's Steaks and Chops in
San Carlos. The food was great, we had a very successful raffle, there was gift bags that included an NSXCA Bay
Area Chapter Mouse Pad and a 1gb usb card that was handed out to all NSX owners. The high light of the evening
was; we filled two large bags of toys for the Toys for Tots Foundation.

There are a few requirements for the restaurant:

1) Cost between $50.00 and $60.00 with tip per person
2) NSX friendly parking lot
3) A private area for 40 to 50 attendees

Please send all recommendations to [email protected] by October 23, 2009

Thanks,

NSXCA Bay Area Chapter Officers

I did indeed make a suggestion already. I guess I am predictable! I did it via the NSX-CA Bay Area forum on Yahoo groups. Here it is again:

Top Recommendation:
Pampas in Palo Alto

http://www.pampaspaloalto.com/food.htm
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pampas-palo-alto
There is a big parking lot right nearby for us, they have separate rooms, and we shouldn't even need to deal with the usual big-group limited-selection as they have a big salad and cold-food bar, and then come around the tables and slice meat off of big skewers for whoever wants them, until you say stop. So I would expect that no ordering is even needed.

Secondary Recommendation:
Vivace in Belmont

http://www.vivacerestaurant.com/banquets2.htm
http://www.yelp.com/biz/vivace-ristorante-belmont
As they say, Vivace has free, easily accessible public parking only a block south from the restaurant at Barrett Community Center. I have eaten here several times, including once with a group in the back room, and it is a very good Italian restaurant. It has been a while, though. If this restaurant becomes a finalist, I would be happy to go eat there with my wife to confirm it is still good. However, unlike Pampas, we might have to do the big-party limited-menu thing.

Chip

PS. Here is Ben's followup reply:

Re: [NSXCA-BA] Fwd: Holiday Restaurant Recommendations

I second Pampas. If the group is large enough, there's even a
semi-private party room downstairs.

Large parking garage almost right next door, where depending on the date/time,
we may even get the entire top floor to ourself.

-Ben

The Village Pub in Woodside.

Large empty parking lot: yes

Private room: yes

Great food: yes :D

Full bar: yes

The budget is okay for food... but if people drink like fish... all bets are off.

I'd like to reiterate that I have not been to Vivace in a while, and would want to try it again if we get serious about it, before committing to it.

Chip

we have to park a block away from the reataurant at Vivace?? Wont be bringing the NSX if its here then.

Yes. It is a very short block (maybe 100 feet), but the cars will not be visible from the restaurant.

If we're going to be talking about the Village Pub, which is quite pricey, then I'm going to throw out Alexander's Steakhouse in Cupertino too.

Another option is to have Chinese food. Take 'Joy' in Foster City for example:

- Huge lot with plenty of parking
- Nice large round tables, so you see everyone
- For $35 per person (excluding booze) you'll have more than ample food

Just another angle.

Good suggestion, John. I don't really think Christmas party when I think of Joy (or Chinese food in general, maybe except for lavish Dim Sum), but Joy is certainly a great place if you know what to order. Plus, even $35 (without alcohol) is likely on the high side of what we would pay per person based on my experience there.

Chip

Last edited:
Well, plenty of people eat Chinese food all year around ;)

I always think of Chinese food for eating out on Xmas eve and Xmas day because my Jewish friends go there then to the movies...

-John

I have never been to Buck's for dinner, but I think most of the people who like Bucks like it mostly for its weekend breakfast/brunch. Check out the Yelp reviews, for example: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bucks-woodside (Personally, I didn't even like it for brunch much the one time I went -- badly enough to not return -- but maybe I had an unusual experience.)

Chip

So, how much are we looking to spend, per head, w/o drinks?

If we are seriously thinking about a nice place, we should try to look into Alexander's. The food is excellent, there is plenty of parking for everyone, and I'm pretty sure we can get a private room.

I have never been to Buck's for dinner, but I think most of the people who like Bucks like it mostly for its weekend breakfast/brunch. Check out the Yelp reviews, for example: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bucks-woodside (Personally, I didn't even like it for brunch much the one time I went -- badly enough to not return -- but maybe I had an unusual experience.)

Chip

This gal has been there since she lives in that town.

michelle_pfeiffer_6.jpg

This gal has been there since she lives in that town.

michelle_pfeiffer_6.jpg

If she owns an NSX, she's invited to attend our Christmas Dinner, but she will have to pay like everyone else :biggrin:

Update: We now have a short list of restaurants and we are in the process of deciding which restaurant best fits our needs. I'm hoping to make an announcement by next Monday 11-10-09.

Thanks for all the input/suggestions.

Mike, Chuck and Yolanda

If we are seriously thinking about a nice place, we should try to look into Alexander's. The food is excellent, there is plenty of parking for everyone, and I'm pretty sure we can get a private room.

Good choice.....

Ben,

Our budget is $60.00 including tax and tip.

Mike

Birk's would be great - and easier access for ppl coming from far away (right off 101 and Great America Pkwy). Plus better variety, parking.

+1 for Birks is the short story here :biggrin::eek:

Back