Reset odometers ????

I have been looking at many NSXs for sale in the past few months and I see some with odometers that don't line up 100%. They have one number that is up by just a very little? a lot of time it is the number just left of a 9. Everything I read says if they dont line up 100% it has been apart! Can anyone add to this? Thanks

I have always been told the same thing---don't know if it true or not.
But I would guess that the Acura ecu be capable would print out the actual mileage when hooked up to the dealers computer.

Nope,, they dont record the miles in the ECU,, it is only recorded in the odometer,, also the new Acuras only record it in the digital Instrument cluster,,,
So if you go to e-bay you can get a instrument cluster with low miles and swap it out,, waaa-laaaa miles taken off,, ILLEGALLY but why honda did this is beyond me,, dumb,, but mine doesnt line up either not 100% I dont think there is a real way of testing the car out ya know,,, since most NSX's are so well taken care of!!

Anyone else know a way let us know! would be good to have that info before going into a fishy sale!!

Do not trust the odometer, check the maint. receipts and communicate with previous owners.

I have not taken apart an NSX odometer, but I did fix a friend's nissan 300zx stuck odometer. In that particular case, you could remove, modify, and replace the odometer with zero evidence of ever having done so. After that revelation, I am much more careful about trusting non digital odometers. I was absolutely shocked how straight forward adjusting the mileage was, almost as if they knew people would be doing it.

Perhaps worth nothing is that removing say 20 or 30k miles would be a major PITA. But I wouldn't put it past an individual to spend 8-24 hours spinning the mechanism to do so.

Last edited:
Yea but the Digital ones are only stored in the Cluster,, The reason I know is my RPM gauge in the 05 TL went out, had to order the new cluster and tell them how many miles was on my TL so when the ordered it from the factory they could plug the miles in the new one,, I asked if they just uploaded it from the ECU and they said that the Ecu DOES NOT record the miles,, so if you had lets say a High mile 80,000 mile acura/honda, with the digital display you could buy a low mile one like 40,000 mile cluster off e-bay and replace your 80,000 mile one,, then Bling Blang your car now has 40,000 miles, can then be sold for more!! ya know,, so like he said look at service records which shows the cars miles going in the shop,, then the miles leaving the shop,,

Also you cant just order the Gauge that is bad,, only the whole cluster,, thats why they are called the Stealerships

Last edited:
Some comments on odometers -

There is much variable between manufacturers but some things that look wrong are actually correct. Regarding the original posters comment about seeing the number just left of the number 9 - This can happen and still be legit.

Some odometers ( not all ) can show a off kilter row of numbers. This is mostly seen when the odometer is about to change from 9 to 0. Some odometers are set up with a cam/gear system that does not click evenly for every tenth click of the number preceding it.

For example -

You can have an odometer that reads 19,999.9 miles/kilos. Some odometers will show this with a off kilter ( very slightly ) scale with the number 1 very high with the number proceeding it in a curve down to level. As the odometer clicks over to 20,000.0 miles the number 1 which has now changed to a 2 will be level but the four zeros plus one tenth may not drop to exactly level until the car has driven about to the 20,010.0-20,100.0 mark or more. This is normal. If the odometer shows problems with one number high and the next one low and the next one high , There is a problem. Odometers can be slightly askew , but in a curve just after a major mileage change. This should correct itself after running the odometer to the ' middle of the pack ' and should now be level and correct.

The most common time to see this is just as the number changes from 9 to 0.

Some manufacturers build little ' traps ' in their odometers. Some of them if you take it apart , the numbers will work correct for a little while , then all of a sudden it will start to click over two numbers at a time or even three numbers at a time to completely mess up your mileage. Some odometers have secret little inkpads that start to blot out numbers or completely clean a odometer roll of all labeling if reassembled incorrectly.

Carfax can be your friend.

Tampering with an odometer is a very serious crime. $10,000 fine and or 10 years in jail. Better to get caught with a pound of crack than screw with an odometer.

Quite frankly , the best way to mess with an odometer is to replace it with another one rather than trying to take one apart to change the mileage.

I did this years back on my MR2. My speedo played out and I bought a used one. I wanted my exact mileage to show. It was my 1st time in a speedo and it's scarey how easy is was with a bit of patience.

Yeah, mine always starts looking all out of whack just before it rolls over a big milestone. Then it evens out again. I've seen 100k, 200k, 300k, and 400k roll over on the Legend. I've had people ask me when they see the car if it's had odometer roll-forward. LOL.

... It was my 1st time in a speedo and it's scarey how easy is was with a bit of patience.

Now that couldn't have been pretty! :tongue:

My old 911 Porsche odometer failed at 150k miles or so. I pulled it out and brought it to an odometer shop here in Arlington. Before I told the owner how many miles he said "about 150k, right ? they all fail about there. Porsche designs it that way. Newer electronic ones too. BMW does the same."

Sure enough when my BMW M6 approached that point it failed.

My old 911 Porsche odometer failed at 150k miles or so. I pulled it out and brought it to an odometer shop here in Arlington. Before I told the owner how many miles he said "about 150k, right ? they all fail about there. Porsche designs it that way. Newer electronic ones too. BMW does the same."

Sure enough when my BMW M6 approached that point it failed.

My 73 911 went at 137, my 635csi went at 97, I think I remember reading not to hit reset when driving, it breaks the plastic gears on the old german stuff?

Few pointers from my end.

Seeing that is normal. It does not mean it was rolled. Thats a honda speedo for you. I have had my shares with hondas as a employee and a owner. Someone hit it on the spot with the gears the way they work and such. Most cars the gears are tight. Higher milage cars get loose a little.

If it was me. First thing i would look for is simple. A lot of people dont think of it but if you look at the pedals or the car it should give you a general idea of the high milage. The wear on the pedals and the rug under the mats. Another thing to look for is dried out hoses. If they crack when you squeeze them.
Also. Check the key. See the wear on tha. Altho all those can be replaced. Yes. Very easy. But not all or the 3 of them do. Maybe one would. Is the hoses. Part of maintenance. The other 2 is really noth something people think of if they roll the miles back.

Or take it to your honda dealer and have them do a used car certified inspection. Then you would have better knowledge of the miles if you think they are off.

When i purchased my nsx from brad. He gave me all the previous owners history along with the contact numbers. That was the only reason why i purchased my car. Well maintained. And i can call previous owners if i had a question on the bill.

Back