Recommend me some performance mods?

You've left out some important info. What year? $1500.00 won't do much. If it's an early model, I suggest late model manifold headers and a decent exhaust. Thats pretty much all your budgeted money right there but it's well spent.

You've left out some important info. What year? $1500.00 won't do much. If it's an early model, I suggest late model manifold headers and a decent exhaust. Thats pretty much all your budgeted money right there but it's well spent.

Sorry its a 1995. What is the best sounding/price/performance exhaust?

Na2 manifolds, sports exhaust like Taitec, if any cash left: airfilter

exhaust gtlw 1050 and get the gruppe m intake 800, so save up a little more.

1. NSX-R chassis bars - reduces cowl shake and tightens up the front end

2. Used exhaust, see Parts section

3. '97+ OEM headers (make sure you get one that fits, as there are slight changes over the years)

Last edited:
1. NSX-R chassis bars - reduces cowl shake and tightens up the front end

I'm not sold on this, even though I think I claimed the same thing when I first got it. I have had it on and off now, and a STMPO bar on and off, both on and both off, and I am pretty sure if you do back to back comparisons like I did in a somewhat controlled environment (same road, same speed, same temps, paying close attention to actual shake instead of guessing), that with the Targa off the cowl shake may actually be worse.

I have a strong suspicion now that tightening up the front end places more stress on the mid-section of the car A-pillar back, and with the rear being fairly tight the mid-section winds up taking the brunt of chassis flex, causing the cowl shake to increase, not decrease. With the targa on I think this is a very worthwhile mod, but I wouldn't do it expecting any less cowl shake.

Last edited:
Get a used set of comptech headers and a used exhaust like R/M or B&B.

Weight Reductions by removing items such as
spare tire
engine cover
CD changer if so equipped.

What are the best bolt on for power on the NSX? What brand are best?

$1500 budgit..

Used NA2 manifolds, used exhaust of some sort (plenty in the for sale section), a performance filter of some sort, and 2 days of HPDE.

Here are my recommendations:

1) Taitec GTLW exhaust

2) DF intake scoop with Uni Filter

3) NSX-R Front Sway Bar

If you get these parts used, you may even have some money left over.

+1 for the universal performance modification

$1500 =~3 HPDE. With a decent instructor, this will make every car you own much more capable... :wink:

+++++++

I am betting the NSX is much more car than you can handle already. Time to get your own skills up to snuff to match what it can bring to the table.

I'm not sold on this, even though I think I claimed the same thing when I first got it. I have had it on and off now, and a STMPO bar on and off, both on and both off, and I am pretty sure if you do back to back comparisons like I did in a somewhat controlled environment (same road, same speed, same temps, paying close attention to actual shake instead of guessing), that with the Targa off the cowl shake may actually be worse.

I have a strong suspicion now that tightening up the front end places more stress on the mid-section of the car A-pillar back, and with the rear being fairly tight the mid-section winds up taking the brunt of chassis flex, causing the cowl shake to increase, not decrease. With the targa on I think this is a very worthwhile mod, but I wouldn't do it expecting any less cowl shake.

TURBO2GO,

You may have a point on this.... We made the FCB to stiffen up the front end for targa and coupe models...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109360&highlight=stmpo

however... we never made the claim for cowl shake on this product..

The Rear Strut tower bar is what we made to stregnthen up the targa chassis.... it would also be a great compliment to the front bar (turbo... a little hint to give me a call man...LOL... I have a silver bar in stock)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119414&highlight=stmpo

as for your original question.... you will find that there are many parts for the nsx... but I classify them in two categories

1) You will feel every dollar you spent once installed
2) It will benefit your car... but the cost doesn’t support the increase

Trying to add power to the NSX has very few parts in category 1 under 1500.00... exe - headers are great... but by the time you buy and pay to install...it's hard to quantify the purchase... it just leads to an addiction of add ons... one of the better addictions to have though :)

the power increase parts that are in your price range..

1) used aftermarket exhaust
2) DF intake scoop - http://downforce.biz/cart/product.php?productid=16198&cat=270&page=1
3) used headers or 97+ but understand the example above

although it is pricey... if your car is na... Short gear tranny's are one of the few high dollar products that fall in the category #1 (along with turbo's and SC's)

If I were in your shoes with 1500.00 to spend.. my opinion would be as follows…

Stiffen up the chassis and do simple bolt ons waiting for the headers, exhaust, BBK, and coilovers to come up for sale used…

1) STMPO FCB and RSTB combo – 875.00 – free oversized brake ducts, STMPO shirt and hat included in this package
2) Brake Duct – 0.00 (see above )
3) DF intake Scoop - $210
4) Used after market exhaust – 400.00

With these 4 items… your car will get a slight increase in power… sound better on the intake and exhaust… and handle like a dream

That’s my $.02

You can accuse me of being guilty of ignoring your question, but:

I've had my NSX for 10 years now (happy anniversary to me) and I have made a few modifications such as lowering springs, air intake, headers, exhaust, wheels and tires and a few other things.

For the last few years I've been undoing a lot of them. The car is now back to stock ride height, stock intake, and probably about to go back to stock exhaust since I am on my second Comptech exhaust which apparently has also failed. The headers cracked and had to be repaired - if they fail again it's back to the Honda manifolds for me. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought the wheels and tires (made-to-order Kinesis K20 in 17" and 18") and called it a day. I fully admit the only reason I did the wheels was cosmetic, but I still stand by that decision. They look great :-)

I guess what I'm saying is, why not save your money and enjoy this great car for what it is. That $1500 might best be put into an emergency repair fund for when something breaks.

Again, I know I didn't answer your question but perhaps I've given you something to think about.

Brad

Last edited:
Back