Recieving mail from US postal service

I repeat; "As a regular professional importer, I can confirm that Valuation For Duty (VFD) is never applied to freight. (It can't be applied under international trade conventions). You need to allow for Duty and GST. Duty will vary depending on the classification of the product." There was an error in my previous post which i have corrected. UPS are often very bad at handling shipments like this. (mis-classifying items and charging extra duty as a result is common; also over charging weight/cubic measure is a problem). Get UPS to give you a fully detailed breakdown and take them to task if they are applying a VFD to the freight component. There are often many other hidden charges; quarantine fees; terminal fees; brokerage; fuel levies, etc, etc. Good luck.

Yes, going by the list of charges, everyone turned up to check out the shipment & Stick their hand out.

USPS is by far the best way to bring stuff in from US. I always use USPS if possible, the only time I can't is when max size/weight limits set by USPS are exceeded. Then I'm forced to DHL or UPS or others who are way more expensive and bureaucratic (i.e. they literally seem to invent hidden charges) and no faster.

When talking about freight being in or out of calculations Duty and GST are handled differently. The freight is included for GST but excluded for duty.

Another trap is the exchange rate the customs use is based on the date of shipment, not the date of invoice. With aussie dollar jumping around so much recently I was caught out by a purchase that was under AU$1000 when I paid but over on date it shipped ... !

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think its a Brisbane thing...

I sent a passenger Bride rail to Sydney last Thursday, still hasn't arrived.... Geez.

Seems to be a trend... I bought a set of CCW wheels out of Toronto about 2wks before Christmas... Hoping to get them a few days before Christmas. Shipping company shut its doors, everyone went on holidays until Jan 2 2012. Wheels are being shipped out Jan 10 2012, and my eta is about Jan 16-18 2012.
Its just a shame I already committed to buying them as I've found another set of wheels I've bought instead... Anyone want a set of 18/19" CCW's or a set of 18x8 39 19x9.5 +36 3Pc Work Meisters??

Last edited:
Back