Ran in with Supercharged Viper SRT-10 at Crystal Cove today

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=669067#post669067

A few NSX owners showed up today at Crystal Cove, as we left Crystal Cove, we came across a Viper SRT-10 and F430, John (scorp965)
in his NSX and me in my NSX. Long story short, 3 runs. Viper 2, NSX tie for 1.

I topped 4th gear for the first time ever. Ran in with claimed 800hp Supercharged Viper SRT-10 this morning after we left Crystal Cove. John witnessed the first 2 runs.

First run from dead stop at the light, who can avoid the temptation?, 0~100mph, dead even, I let off due to the high speed. We stopped at next light. The gentlemen with Viper seems very thrilled, I gave him a thumbs up, I was thrilled too, as I felt I did just fine. He then yelled out "800 horsepower, thats why", "Supercharged", "Your car is fast too", we exchanged thumbs up.

My thoughts were, hmm, 800hp, I got to take the picture of his engine bay next time I see his Viper at Crystal Cove. I assume he meant 800hp at the flywheel, even so doesn't seems like it. Should have completely annihilated my humble 400bhp NSX, should not even been anywhere close within 2~3 car length.

2nd run from another traffic light, wasn't really all out due to merging onto freeway, obviously even if I had try my best, he would have won, but by 2 car at most.

During the 3rd run, we did 60mph to top of 4th gear, he won by 2 cars. He gained the 2 car from the start with all that torque, very much stayed the same all the way through top of 4th gear, redline. Might have went all out if traffics were clear. It was 9am in the morning. After the 3rd run, the look on his face tell me that he wasn't very thrilled.

The only time I lost momentum was during the rpm drop after shifting from 1st to 2nd, other than that, every gear is very very close. With short gears it may have been really interesting.

Comptech headers really works:biggrin:

Jason this is a great story, seems like he should have beaten you by a lot more... wow... I don't know whats up there but its nice to hear your car is running so strong.

Good job Jason......maybe he was just not giving all he had......the vipers are mean stock alone let alone a supercharged one. But at least you gave him a good run for the money. :smile:

ediddynsx said:
Good job Jason......maybe he was just not giving all he had......the vipers are mean stock alone let alone a supercharged one. But at least you gave him a good run for the money. :smile:
Thanks Eddie,

Wish you were here this morning.

I am aware of what the bone stock SRT-10 is capable of, even stock one should walk my nsx without a problem. I would have been just as thrilled if it were bone stock. The Viper owner is a Crystal Cove regular, so We will meet him again at Crystal Cove and check out his Viper SRT-10 convertible, and chat.

We did 3 runs total, twice from dig and one roll on, he better be at least giving some effort to match 4.3~4.5sec 0~60mph even with all that power. When you acknowlege each other, you know. The question I have in my mind is what he got under the hood, stock or anywhere close to what he had claimed.

Prior to the runs, Viper was cruising with F430 when John and I caught up, there just happen to be a cop on the left. John drove passed by the Viper on the right lane, Viper driver tried to get cops attention by raising his hand and pointing his fingers at John's NSX. I thought that was uncool. We then came onto a light, John on right lane next to Viper, I am behind Viper, F430 behind me. The Viper probably thought he got a free lunch. Sure enough he launched first, I matched his launch, John didn't launch, so I move on to John's lane and punch it. John saw the rest, I am not sure what went on behind, F430s action?

After the high speed run on 73, the F430 also caught up and they both went on their way onto 55. I went onto 405.

The F430 was trying to keep up behind Jason's NSX and the Viper, as they proceeded to the 73; I kept going straight, to the 405 N, as I needed to go to Long Beach, and after the suprise of the cop I was content with toning it down a bit ;)

The viper certainly appeared to be trying, and the driver was animated in his discussion with Jason after the initial run.

Jason,

Thanks for sharing your story. That must have occurred after I saw you leave the shopping mart at Crystal Cove this morning. Your NSX must really pull with the Comptech supercharger. I would like to get that unit installed on my 97.

Kim

Gotta be BS. I think a supercharged NSX would have its hands full with a bone stock Viper. My guess is a supercharged Viper would have embarrassed you BIGTIME.

I was present, the viper certainly appeared to be trying, and there were multiple 'runs'; after the first launch (viper launched with me along side him, Jason launched from behind the viper) they talked at a red light and the viper owner was quite animated; after that they proceeded onto the 73, where they reached speeds such that 4th gear was topped in a CTSC nsx; if you're not trying why are you driving at that speed with your top down?

Also note, Jason never says he beat the viper, he only says he is suprised to have done as well as he did, especially after the owner claimed to have 800hp. The story ends with him wanting to chat with the viper owner next week at Crystal Cove, to determine what exactly he has done to his car.

FWIW, I had a RMS Stage II Supercharged Z3, and with the top down there is significant drag effect, on the high speed runs this was easily a factor.

dunno.gif

isellpower said:
Gotta call BS. He didn't know you were "racing".

You're going to tell us you beat one of these?
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/viper/3/066501d2-bf56-4f96-b188-8910dff44bb6.htm
I don't BS, what is the point? I don't expect it to be more than a stock Viper SRT-10. Been there done that with highpower cars on roll on situations. Clearly not even close to 800hp. He claimed 800hp, not me.

The Drag Coefficient is 0.43 with top down. He really would have gone 190mph top speed if the road were clear, the gentleman in brown badman shirt and Miami Vice look was dead serious, it was brief but redine 4th gear on NSX is no joke, even went briefly on 5th.

Same copper color as this one, look at the 60' time.
http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Viper/0/78ca9a6e-bb13-4648-8a40-78e747c8a7f4.htm

While I see no point in calling BS, I think there must be something seriously wrong with his car. A stock SRT-10 will trap over 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile, which is faster than ANY comptech supercharged NSX I have ever seen including comptechs own car. With 800 HP, that car should leave a NSX in the dust.

I think he needs to take it back to the to the shop that did the mods and ask for the other half of his motor back. :biggrin:

rjp said:
Gotta be BS. I think a supercharged NSX would have its hands full with a bone stock Viper. My guess is a supercharged Viper would have embarrassed you BIGTIME.
I hope my response wasn't taken the wrong way. When I said BS, I meant that the Viper couldn't be supercharged. That's all. I should've been more clear.

nsxsupra said:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=669067#post669067
My thoughts were, hmm, 800hp, I got to take the picture of his engine bay next time I see his Viper at Crystal Cove. I assume he meant 800hp at the flywheel, even so doesn't seems like it. Should have completely annihilated my humble 400bhp NSX, should not even been anywhere close within 2~3 car length.

Maybe it was one of the "Hennessey Specials":biggrin:

isellpower said:
Gotta call BS. He didn't know you were "racing".

You're going to tell us you beat one of these?
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/viper/3/066501d2-bf56-4f96-b188-8910dff44bb6.htm

Don't just look at the paper specifications of a car; the "paper tiger" does not often win on race day. A driver's ability and just plain "luck of the day" has a tremendous impact on any outcome.

When anyone of my fellow Prime members tells me he beat any car I take him at his word until an eye witness refutes the story. In this case the eye witness corroborated the story. Additionally it was never stated that he beat the Viper, he just expressed surprised that the Viper did not pull on him the way he expected it to. It would be nice to know the read of the F430 driver from his vantage point. I am sure "our 2 boys" will have a great time talking through the event with other 2 drivers involved.

More to come?? If so, keep us informed and thanks for the pictures.

rjp said:
I hope my response wasn't taken the wrong way
I did not take it the wrong way, please don't worry about it:smile: . After all said and done what we done (both Viper gentleman and me) was stupid, I need to learn more self control, sometimes when you are in the car, it change your character.

When I left home today, I heard a very sweet warm voice of "please drive slowly" I had a very very chill feeling down my spine.

Last edited:
By the way, what kind of times will a 97+ CTSC NSX run in the 1/4?

Just rode in jasons car today......the powerband is very smooth and has a stronger kick to it. Thats the way the car should have came from factory. :smile: Very clean car jason.

I also had a few runs with a Viper( unknown year and model) last year before a SouthCoast Acura meeting. The guy was definitely wailing on it. I had a Aem CTSC on a 92 making 372RWHP. I definitely stayed up with him over a couple of stops on Harbor Blvd. so much so that he came to the gathering and asked me what I had under the hood. Again I don't know his year and model, but it did impress the hell out of me that I could stay up with such a beast. True Story!!

Rod

ediddynsx said:
Very clean car jason.
Thanks Ed,
Just wish it got short gears or 6spd. 2nd gear is way too tall to have fun on the street. I would love to test ride in any NSX with short gears.

nsxsupra said:
Thanks Ed,
Just wish it got short gears or 6spd. 2nd gear is way too tall to have fun on the street. I would love to test ride in any NSX with short gears.
my nsx says I want a be like HIS
good job sir

If you upgrade your tranny I would suggest going with the short gears in your 5 speed vs the 6 speed. It will save you alot of $$$ and you'll have a stronger tranny to boot. I used to run a six speed with 4.55 R&P with a SC and after returning to NA shattered my tranny. I have since picked up a 5 speed and a set of Japanese short gears from SOS. The car drives very well and the 1-2 shift is crisp...even with NA power.

NetViper said:
A stock SRT-10 will trap over 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile, which is faster than ANY comptech supercharged NSX I have ever seen including comptechs own car. With 800 HP, that car should leave a NSX in the dust.
I do not meant to be disrespectful. I just have one question for you. Have you actually had any kind of experience at the dragstrip?

Talking # on paper is easy, running the actual time is another story. ET is traction, power is trap speed. I have seen some incredibly fast cars fall flat on its face at dragstrip. Some of the better driver here on prime such as AJKS and John McCain Racing are capable of amazing times even on NA.

Take a look at the 2002 10,000hp shoot out for example, all the cars ran far less than what they are truely capable of due to test condition, yet the 800hp Hennessey viper in the shootout was far from twice as fast as Comptech NSX.

In fact:
Hennessey Venom 800 Twin Turbo vs Comptech NSX on same test, same day, shocking isn't it.
Viper .4sec slower in 0~60mph
Viper .6sec faster at 1/4mile for 800hp?
2002 10,000hp shootout

200~400bhp over stock = how much faster?

By the time car is already at 400~500bhp, the performance increase from adding another 200hp is far less than the # suggests.

Owning both (a buit TT NSX [450 rwhp] and a 522 Hennessey stroker + Heffner SC Viper [942 rwhp]), I can tell you there is NO contest, on the street or on a drag strip. Yes, the viper will haze the 345/30's street tires at 100 mph and from a dig it has traction issues, but unless something was wrong with that viper, (or the driver) he should have handed it to you. I don't say this to be disrepectful--I wish my NSX would run how the viper does, but it doesn't. As far as tracking (drag strip), before this last motor build, I was making 395 rwhp on the NSX and I turned an 11.99 @ 119 running Yoko AO32r's. In the viper with slicks an skinnines, a 9.92 @ 148. The NSX is a fun car and more forgiving (especially on a road course), but I just can't see others being able to replicate your outcome.

YMMV,

Ben

nsxsupra said:
I do not meant to be disrespectful. I just have one question for you. Have you actually had any kind of experience at the dragstrip?

No, I haven't. Like I said, I don't doubt your story, but like Ben said, there should be no contest between the two cars.

Maybe the viper was spinning its tires all the way to 100MPH or he just can't put the power down to the ground at low speed like the NSX can.

Back