Radar detectors...

What's some good radar detectors? And what makes one model more expensive then the other? Will a $100 detector be sufficient or should I go all out and buy those $300 ones?

Originally posted by Zuerst:
What's some good radar detectors? And what makes one model more expensive then the other? Will a $100 detector be sufficient or should I go all out and buy those $300 ones?

when it comes to radar detectors, always get the best and dont settle for less.
go with the Valentine ONE!

i would tend to agree. valentine one seems to be the best. i have a bel that is close to their top of the line (250plus$$) that also performs pretty well---but again not cheap.

i think the models that are less than 200$$ tend to be much less effective.

After reading this:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/february/200202_feature_detectors.xml?keywords=radar%20detector

I bought a Bel 980. I personally love it but have never owned a V1. I mounted it in the center of the harness bar on my video mount and wired it into switched 12v power when I installed my smart shift ala Zublin Engineering / Dali Racing (very cool too).

YMMV and this gets pretty emotional for some...

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

OK. You can see the difference between the "top 3" is not very much if you load up the actual numbers.

1) It did very well against much more expensive units (I got mine for $150)

2) I didn't have to buy and mount another unit in the cigarette on by the seat to "hide" the lights

3) It "talks" to me so I know exactly what type of stalker I have

4) The range was more then adaquate for my driving on public roads

5) Packaging was the best of them all IMO

6) Came VERY complete with all the mounting, cords, etc.

Again - money no object go with V1 or whatever else you want.

I have the Passport 8500 and it has been great. No complaints at all except I wish it had arrows like the V1. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably go with the V1 because of the arrows.

Definately get a V1.

I've had mine for about 6 months so far. No complaints. Besides the nice features that all the reviews rave about (direction indicators, intuative control layout, etc.), I really like the nice touches that show the thought that went into it: use of standard "telephone" wire for power / accessories, high-quality cig lighter adapter and (included) hard-wire install hardware, the logic/adavance logic settings (which work absolutely great!), and so on.

You can find some used on ebay for less than $300 (possibly around $200), but why bother when you can buy one brand new (slimmer case and latest features) for $400 with minimal S/H.

I was also very pleased by the quick delivery: mine arrived 2-days after I placed my order online.

------------------
ojaspatel.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by Ojas (edited 19 August 2002).]

Back