R&T NSX Scanned

The article was fine. Informative and relatively realistic. But, why would R&T put something in an image like that that is their "best guess"?? Hell, anyone can photoshop a freakin' AMC Pacer and stick an Acura symbol on the hood. If that's what they come up with after 15 years then Honda should hope the lawn equipment division keeps kicking a$$, because that would be the biggest automotive disappointment ever. Please don't put NSX on that thing. If R&T doesn't have some definitive and confirmed styling info, then just run the printed article. They should be embarassed for running a stab-in-the-dark pic like that. However, if Honda is really going to build that as the NSX replacement, they will have taken a giant leap backwards. Maybe it's the old Mayberry Andy Taylor reverse psychology trick. They release this piece of crap pic, so know suddenly everyone thinks the HSC is the most beautiful thing they've ever seen. I would buy a used Pontiac Aztek SUV before I'd buy this thing. Is there an Aztek Prime??:smile:

HA! Aztek Prime! LMAO!

If it's front engine, I'll not be interested at any performance level. We already have a C6 Z06 corvette.

If it looks anything like that pile in the pic, I'm out even if mid engined.

Finally, I hear all this talk about the HSC. What is that? I've never seen a pic. Can anyone post one if you think it's a direction Honda should consider?

I am holding out a lot of faith in Honda for one reason: They are NOT the Boring Building Team that Toyota has become. Please, please no more souped up RLs. I really think if they make a replacement for the NSX they know who their target market is, and it's us.

I will say I like the idea of a $70K car as well as a possible Type-R higher end version, making the car affordable to seperate brackets of income. But then, none of us would want the base car then, would we? :)

Spinner said:
But let's not forget that there are great front engine track cars as well....vipers, corvettes, tvr, s2000, miata and etc.

LOL... You were joking weren't you!???

blavenia said:
Finally, I hear all this talk about the HSC. What is that? I've never seen a pic. Can anyone post one if you think it's a direction Honda should consider?
I didn't know if you really hadn't seen the HSC or not. This link has some photos of the HSC concept, but I've seen much better elsewhere here on prime. At least this will give you a rough idea. take care.

http://www.import-heaven.net/specs_honda_hsc_concept.shtml

AU_NSX said:
LOL... You were joking weren't you!???

Uhhmmm...no, I'm not. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the NSX isn't the world's greatest car. Are you saying there's no such thing as a front engined car that performs well at the track? One's that perform "better" than the NSX?

Spinner said:
Uhhmmm...no, I'm not. Sorry to burst your bubble,

That's okay... Your entitled to your opinion, I am intitled to LMAO at it...

Spinner said:
...but the NSX isn't the world's greatest car.

Never said it was... Although it is far superior to ALL those cars you mentioned of which NONE I would consider a great track car...

Spinner said:
Are you saying there's no such thing as a front engined car that performs well at the track? One's that perform "better" than the NSX?
No I didn't say that either... Is english your first language?

Now lets get away from "opinions" and state a fact...

The best PROVEN configuration for a sports car is mid-engine / rear drive. This was proven by Colin Chapman and Sir Jack Brabham back in the sixties with Colin Chapman's Lotus. That Lotus was the first mid-engine / rear drive F1 car ever and then went on to win the championship and all F1 cars winning championships thereafter have had a mid-engine / rear drive configuration.

Any car that is not a mid-engine / rear drive configuration is a compromise. That includes rear-engine / rear drive. An uncompromising sportscar has a mid-engine / rear drive configuration just like a F1 car...

Last edited:
AU_NSX said:
That's okay... Your entitled to your opinion, I am intitled to LMAO at it...

Never said it was... Although it is far superior to ALL those cars you mentioned of which NONE I would consider a great track car...

No I didn't say that either... Is english your first language?

Now lets get away from "opinions" and state a fact...

The best PROVEN configuration for a sports car is mid-engine / rear drive. This was proven by Graham Chapman and Sir Jack Brabham back in the sixties with Colin Chapman's Lotus. That Lotus was the first mid-engine / rear drive F1 car ever and then went on to win the championship and all F1 cars winning championships thereafter have had a mid-engine / rear drive configuration.

Any car that is not a mid-engine / rear drive configuration is a compromise. That includes rear-engine / rear drive. An uncompromising sportscar has a mid-engine / rear drive configuration just like a F1 car...

Oh, I totally agree that mid-engine config. is the optimum set up for the track. No doubt about that. Did I say that having the engine in front is the best way to go? Did you read my post correctly? Is english your second language as well? (since when was this a debate on grammar? nice try, though...I speak 4 languages. How about you?)

All I'm stating is that there are cars now that will blow the NSX out of the water stock and not having mid-engine setup. So it won't necesarilly be bad thing. It will be BETTER if it was placed behind the seat, but won't necesarrily be bad.

Spinner said:
All I'm stating is that there are cars now that will blow the NSX out of the water stock and not having mid-engine setup.

Well why didn't you list those???

Spinner said:
So it won't necesarilly be bad thing. It will be BETTER if it was placed behind the seat, but won't necesarrily be bad.

YES IT WILL BE BAD!!! VERY BAD!!!It will show a movement away from a being a true sports car to a GT...

Spinner said:
I agree...I don't care how good it performs, if the relocate the motor to the front and claim it as the NSX replacement, I'll spend my money elsewhere....unless it looks better than an Aston Martin. :D :D :D

You seem to contradict yourself with the above statement and then this one...

Spinner said:
But let's not forget that there are great front engine track cars as well....vipers, corvettes, tvr, s2000, miata and etc.

Do YOU think that these cars are better track cars than an NSX?

If so, why didn't you buy one of them???

... Try not to contradict yourself this time otherwise people may think you are joking like I did...

AU_NSX said:
Well why didn't you list those???

YES IT WILL BE BAD!!! VERY BAD!!!It will show a movement away from a being a true sports car to a GT...

I already did. I've seen z06s, viper competition coupes, rx-7s beating NSXs at the track not to mention articles and magazine reports. As a track car, I prefer my '93 Rx-7 to the NSX...I liked the way it handled, felt and accelerated better than my NSX. What I did not like however was the quality and reliability. But that's another topic I won't get into.

And regarding the NSX going more GT (if it does opt for a front engine placement) I totally agree. It will lose some character and sportiness. BUT, if it will outperform it's competition (what ever that my be when the car is released), then I won't be complaining. In other words, if it did what the original NSX did in 1991 (regardless of motor placement IMO) it would be great.

And you're missing the point. I for one, DON'T want the NSX to have a front-engine placement. If you read the thread I started (below this one) a few months back, morale at HONDA was low when they heard rumours of the NSX going FR. The rumours started about a year ago. It's only now that its starting to show up in publications.

For all we know, they might come out with a v10 GT class car first, before going MR.

AU_NSX said:
You seem to contradict yourself with the above statement and then this one...

Do YOU think that these cars are better track cars than an NSX?

If so, why didn't you buy one of them???

... Try not to contradict yourself this time otherwise people may think you are joking like I did...

I'm not contradicting myself. I used to own an Rx-7, a Miata, and an S2000. In fact, I'm in the process of selling my NSX so I can buy a corvette or viper. I like trying different cars and I keep an open mind. Plus I don't buy a car purely for the track. These cars were my daily drivers too. I didn't say that the Miata and S2000 are better than the NSX. I said they were great track cars (IMO atleast...in fact, I had more fun in my Miata and Rx-7 than my NSX)

Design is another important factor to me (I majored in automotive design at Art Center), hence the comment "If it looked better than an Aston" (which I think is probably one of the best looking GT cars currently available)

And if you were just joking than I apologize. Like you said. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. My opinion is that there are cars that perform very well at the track without having a MR setup. Never did I say an FR setup is the best way to go.

I'm sure that a v10 MR setup will outperform a V10 FR if the NSX was to go this route.

No worries Spinner.. :wink:

I am an enthusiast. I love cars! I can appreciate them for what they are designed for. Personally, my motocycling background has me searching for the ultimate in handling both on the track and through mountain twisties. This is why I love driving my NSX's. Being an engineer I appreciate the engineering tour-de-force the NSX was when introduced and I also enjoyed watching Porsche and Ferrari take 10 years to catch up!

If I look at say the Viper, it is not my cup of tea as I find it unrefined and well quite raw and unsofisticated. But lift the bonnet and I challenge anyone not to be impressed with that engine and its power!

We live in a great age where we have choice and what it is you seek you can get and $$$ are the only constraint. If Honda choose to replace the NSX with a front engined GT type car, then like you said... We can shop elsewhere to get what we want...

AU_NSX said:
No worries Spinner.. :wink:

I am an enthusiast. I love cars! I can appreciate them for what they are designed for. Personally, my motocycling background has me searching for the ultimate in handling both on the track and through mountain twisties. This is why I love driving my NSX's. Being an engineer I appreciate the engineering tour-de-force the NSX was when introduced and I also enjoyed watching Porsche and Ferrari take 10 years to catch up!

If I look at say the Viper, it is not my cup of tea as I find it unrefined and well quite raw and unsofisticated. But lift the bonnet and I challenge anyone not to be impressed with that engine and its power!

We live in a great age where we have choice and what it is you seek you can get and $$$ are the only constraint. If Honda choose to replace the NSX with a front engined GT type car, then like you said... We can shop elsewhere to get what we want...

I agree. Alot of folks (including my friends :biggrin: ) all think that going to a viper is downgrading. Maybe theyre right. But I'll have to experience it for myself I guess. The engineering that went into the NSX is just amazing. They broke so many barriers and new grounds that took so many other companies (chevy for instance,) 15 years to catch up.

I don't know whether you saw the thread just posted regarding the R8. In a way, the thread starter has a point. IF the NSX does go FR, the R8 sounds like it could be a very good deal.

rk-nsx said:
i do not want a front engine or awd nsx. my money will also go elsewhere. i want light weight simplicity, a car that is meant to be driven, with computers and unnescessary equipment kept to a minimum.:mad:

This is so true. Give us manual (non-asisted) steering and mechanical cable actuated throttle and manual adjustable seats.

The electronic throttles on the Accord, TSX, TL, and RL really suck. They are full of throttle delay and has non-linear response.

The only exception to the poor throttle response is the E-throttle in the current NSX. For 2006, the S2000 also added E-throttle. In this process, I hope Honda didn't kill one of the most responsive engines.

For all of those that bitched about the looks of the HSC...now look what it go you!!! Ha ha. If Honda builds a car like that, my NSX will be the last Honda I own. Here's to hoping someone gets them to build something that looks similar to hte HSC!!!!

This picture heavily resembles the 'picture' of the S2000 replacement called XGA, which to me shows neither rumor is true :)

I do not understand this argument about the greatest track cars and front engine... do you really think that Honda wants to produce a "track oriented" car again for around 100k$? That would be a crazy failure... again.

And this for who? For most of us that will be able to buy it in 5 years for less than half the price? :confused:

I doubt so. Marketing wise it is better to offer a sporty looking GT, reliable, well performing at 350-380hp, for 70k$. And to achieve this keep the production costs down (fron engine, platform sharing, limited use of aluminium). Business = Reality. :(

Honda will never use anything larger than a V8 (if they use a V8 at all). There are too many taxes and fees to run a car that uses that much fuel. Remember, Japan has zero natural resources.

I really liked the rumored idea of a V8 hybrid- a V6 plant in the rear and 2 electric motors up front. Im not sure how practical that would be.

Lady Six said:
Honda will never use anything larger than a V8 (if they use a V8 at all). There are too many taxes and fees to run a car that uses that much fuel. Remember, Japan has zero natural resources.

I really liked the rumored idea of a V8 hybrid- a V6 plant in the rear and 2 electric motors up front. Im not sure how practical that would be.

1) Honda has already committed to using a V10.

2) A hybrid is worthless on a track.

unlemming said:
This picture heavily resembles the 'picture' of the S2000 replacement called XGA, which to me shows neither rumor is true :)

What is this XGA? Can't find pics of info about it. What do you know? Pictures, engines and when in production?

Perhaps the pictures we are looking at is a new project in addition to the V10 Mid engine NSX replacement.

I am not sure about another model. I just read in Automotive News that Acura doesn't plan on selling any sedans over 50K. I can't see them wanting to sell a bunch of coupes for over that mark. It also says they have no plans for a V8.

Back