Questionnaire for Ted Klaus

I am posting this in the general section because it is more than just expo related and I think guys that are not following the GenII NSX threads should also see it and have a chance at questions:

As many of you know, Ted Klaus, chief of development for the new NSX is going to be at NSXPO.

I got the thinking, many here may have a legit question that may not get answered. I am sure Ted will have limited time to be there as well, and so it may be important to get prepared ahead of time, and make an official list of questions everyone agrees on. This way we don't repeat the same questions, or ask things that we already know the answers to, and waste valuable time he has given us.

So I am making this thread so that we can all come up with a good list. I will start by a few of them myself, and if we get more input then perhaps someone can read off the list. I am sure he would be appreciative of a group that shows up prepared, over a bunch guys randomly raising their hands to ask something then walking out and thinking "dang I forgot to ask XYZ".

Please add to the list, but keep it brief. We can modify and simplify the list if need be.

1) I am possibly a new NSX customer. You have mentioned several times the "man-machine" connection is important. I did not buy a Nissan GTR specifically because after a test drive this connection seemed to be missing. Can you tell us how you plan to make the car more connected? The manual transmission with a clutch pedal is something many of us like. But now it is gone. How do you replace that sort of driver involvement? The Gen I NSX had no electronic aides other than ABS or a basic traction control. How do you keep a car modern yet allow an EXPERIENCED driver to still be deeply involved with the car?

2) You have mentioned that the new NSX will have some sort of silent electric drive capability. Is this still going to happen? Can you tell us if there are plans for the car to have a plug to bring the batteries back up to full capacity outside of the engine?

If you add questions, please number them. The next question should be #3. After that, #4. Please don't make someone have to sift through a long thread to organize.

Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized it is this weekend. Might be too late.. :frown:

#3 can you sing my glovebox?
#4 can I take a picture with you?

- - - Updated - - -

#5 since the new NSX will not be offered in manual transmission and the future lack of sales will reflect this will you offer manual transmisson in the

next following year?

so should we all wait for the 2nd year production car to have our manual transmission

#6 What is the possibility of offering a "Senna Edition" ?

#8 will the production nsx design look better than the one at the auto show? Any modifications before it is in a production line? We love the look of the interior, but the exterior........hmmm.... we think it needs to be refined. That is how our nsx community think.

#9 there is a rumor that Honda will offer 3 different packages, if it is so true can you tell us more about it?

Money is not the problem here, we are filthy rich :biggrin:

Last edited:
#11. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck would chuck wood?!

Great Idea Turbo.

#12 Is Honda willing to commit to their legacy of incorporating a high specific horsepower engine using natural aspiration like the original NSX and like the new GT3?

#13 What is the target for HP/Liter for the new engine?

- - - Updated - - -

#14 Is there a chance that the car's design could move in the direction of lengthening the rear overhang and lowering the front?

Yo.....Turbo...your 2 questions are actually 5. What a question hog................

Shhhhh!!!! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Guy try to be serious please, if you want to post a question as a joke at least don't number it. I have to weed through this stuff and make a nice list of legit stuff.

Even though an R version might not be widely available. Can it be special odered?
Like M-Benz does w their european delivery option.( i know its built here, just using the delivery idea as an example)

One of my favorite elements of the original NSX was that it had so many unique "firsts," especially being the first "quality" supercar. To quote Edmunds:

The Acura NSX was the first production car to feature aluminum construction for its body structure, body panels, suspension and engine. Its engine was the first to feature variable valve timing and a variable-volume intake manifold. It was the first Japanese sports car sold in America to truly go head-to-head with the world's best. And it came from an automotive brand that, at the time, had been in existence for just five years.

So I'd love to hear if Ted can expand more upon any GenII "firsts" and how the NSX isn't just another supercar?

Secondly and along with question #14:

Forget asking question. Start a "kill the beak" picket line.

I support simplife's sentiment and hope Ted and any of his team there get to hear that from any NSXPO'ers who feel similarly. Initially the GenII concept looked to me like just any other supercar design exercise where individual designers who are more Art Students than Car People created the fascia, sides, wheels, rear, etc. separately; too many attempts to stand out at every nook & cranny, creating too much distraction and leaving no room to take in the design as a whole. I created the frankenstein below partially in fun but mostly because it seemed every GenII concept picture looked instantly better the minute I put my fingers in front of the inelegant choppy beak and design-exercise non-round-looking wheels. I could actually "see" an NSX in the cartoon below once the nose & wheel are allowed to support and not try to lead. Before the vent aft of the doors looked like just another attempt at being different like the wheels, but now in the frankenstein below, I love the vent.

Bold fascias (Audi shield) and BMW flame surfacing trends have become cliche's. Now is the time for Acura to get ahead of the curve and get out of the copycat business IMHO. The Ferrari 458 is a great example of an extreme and unique design that doesn't succumb to too much trendiness and should become a classic.

nsx_2014_wish.png

On a very positive spin, Ted & his team or Honda in general are to be commended for limiting unnecessary flame-surfacing sheetmetal creases and for completely avoiding any fake or quasi-functional fender vents.

Turbo2go, thanks for starting this thread.

I could be way off but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ted & Acura brought a prototype or some hardware to NSXPO. Maybe even as the method of getting there... Can't wait to find out!

One of my favorite elements of the original NSX was that it had so many unique "firsts," especially being the first "quality" supercar.

Couldn't agree with your entire post more. On one hand, I am delighted Ted is coming, OTOH, I doubt he is looking for input from Prime as there are plenty here and we are not the norm. My guess is he is going to show/tell us the car is gonna be a great/fun/fast car and the beak stays etc.

If what we saw so far is what is going to be, I am disappointed as there are not many "1sts" nor unique that Wow me. Some say it looks totally different/so much better in person/Ohio. I just wish whats underneath is as 'high tech/sexy' as the LFA but I another DI V6?? Can't wait to proven wrong!

This thread doesn't contain an intelligent line of questions. It is a bitch fest with personal opinions under the guise of being relevant. I can assure you, your petty opinions will be ignored no matter how you attempt to phrase them.

Ted is a pro and in his position because of how he can deflect tough questions. Not those crafted by Prime blow hards with an agenda.

This thread doesn't contain an intelligent line of questions. It is a bitch fest with personal opinions under the guise of being relevant. I can assure you, your petty opinions will be ignored no matter how you attempt to phrase them.

Ted is a pro and in his position because of how he can deflect tough questions. Not those crafted by Prime blow hards with an agenda.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IJ_R-G_i4Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Somebody had to say it...............

#17 Since it will be built in Ohio, what are the chances of the NSX-R being introduced into the U.S. market?

#18 Was there any technology or concepts brought from the HSC, ASCC or HSV that is being put into the 2nd generation NSX?

Last edited:
Is Ted Klaus really going to be there? Was he invited to the event?

Yes he is here and yes he spoke and answered questions for over an hour during the banquet in addition to spending as much time individually with each of us as we wanted. He will be with us again tomorrow morning for the Porsche exhibit at the museum of art.

i-SPZ7BHQ-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Yes he is here and yes he spoke and answered questions for over an hour during the banquet in addition to spending as much time individually with each of us as we wanted. He will be with us again tomorrow morning for the Porsche exhibit at the museum of art.

i-SPZ7BHQ-XL.jpg

What you are waiting for................. what have you guys squeezed out of the guy. Let's hear it

Price point "more reasonable than R8 with performance targeting 458"

Regenerative braking upon throttle lift resulting in possibility of driving car without actually applying brakes in theory

Focus on downforce

V6

Paddle shifters

Mid Ohio just a mule and will look more like Detroit concept

Beak stays. Cassette goes

Acura and Honda badging like current

Approx 1000 per year likely

Leather seats with Alcantra inserts

Less rear visibility

No intentions V8

Last edited:
Back