Question - picking up NSX and then driving 1K miles home

I am sure this has been asked numerous times before, but I can't really find a accurate match to my question.

I have reached agreement with a seller to buy his NSX in Denver, CO and I will be putting a deposit down this week. I plan on picking the car up next month since my parents are coming to visit me for the next 2 weeks.

I asked the seller to take the car to an Acura dealership for a pre-purchase inspection. Since I planned to drive the car back to Houston, should I have ALL the major services (timing belt, water bump, etc) done before driving back? Or should I just change the oil and fill all the fluids and have the service done after I got back to Houston?

What else should I be aware of? I also like to find out if anyone in Houston have a mask that he/she can spare so I can put it on during the trip back.

Thanks in advance.

:D

As far as having major service items done, it depends on the mileage/age of the car. If they are way overdue then you should definitely consider it. If nothing else, it gives you piece of mind. Otherwise, you should just take all precautions that you normally would taking any car on a long trip.

Good luck

bling said:
I am sure this has been asked numerous times before, but I can't really find a accurate match to my question.

I have reached agreement with a seller to buy his NSX in Denver, CO and I will be putting a deposit down this week. I plan on picking the car up next month since my parents are coming to visit me for the next 2 weeks.

I asked the seller to take the car to an Acura dealership for a pre-purchase inspection. Since I planned to drive the car back to Houston, should I have ALL the major services (timing belt, water bump, etc) done before driving back? Or should I just change the oil and fill all the fluids and have the service done after I got back to Houston?

What else should I be aware of? I also like to find out if anyone in Houston have a mask that he/she can spare so I can put it on during the trip back.

Thanks in advance.

:D

All depends on when was the last time the car had those maintenance. Since the car is going to a dealer for PPI, you can ask the dealer to do a visual inspection to see what needs to be replaced (not best idea) best idea would be getting all the service record from seller and see what service is due or due soon, then you go about those replacement. One last thing, you want to make sure that dealer has great knowledge with NSX.

Good Luck

Is it a yellow one at Pikes Peak? I read on a post that someone flew there to buy it and it was not as clean as represented.

I agree with the PPI at Acura! Definitely the smart move. Also, if the car is overdue for the major service, have it done as well, so long as it is an Acura delaership with experienced, certified NSX mechanics.

I would want to have a clean sheet for the car upon purchase so you know all isues have been addressed and all fluids have been changed, etc. Poece of mind is well worth it. Remember to check the inner edges of the tires for wear too.

Then I wish you a wonderful drive home in your new car - enjoy it and be safe. These cars are just too much fun to drive.

rs250 said:
Is it a yellow one at Pikes Peak? I read on a post that someone flew there to buy it and it was not as clean as represented.

Nope, it's a 95 Midnight Pearl by a private seller. Before I placed my bid and agreed anything with the owner, another NSX owner (91nsxbaby) did a visual inspection for me. He said the car looks fine and was in very good condition.

Of course, I will have the PPI done and then determine what needs to be done... :)

Replace the radiator cap if you can. I am not entirely sure if the NSX has an uber special radiator system, but one of my old cars (non nsx) was steadily losing coolant via the cap instead of shunting it to the overflow bottle. Was stuck in NYC in the middle of some I-95/87? hell. ( was driving from boston to mississippi at that time).

If you plan on taking it gentle on the road to Tx much of the work can wait I guess. OTOH, if you have lead feet (like I did right after I bought mine), I would suggest an alignment at the least so the car is marginally baselined (otherwise you will wonder at the pack of lies about the so called nsx handling).

New rear tires if they are shot (the RE010s in particular lose the desire to grip if the are pretty worn or old apparently. Mine helped me spin a nice 360. Being an idiot driver helped no doubt).

The PPI should bring out any other serious must-fix issues.

And enjoy the drive home.

-vamsi

Back