Question for previous Z owners

So to all the owners who used to have TTZs, how did the transition between the two cars go for you? Did you miss the power of the Z at all (I know @ Stage V, which is where I'm at, an NA2 would struggle to keep up in a straight line)? Is everything else well worth the extra cost of the car?

Only reasons I ask is because I personally am yet another Z owner thinking about selling my '93 TTZ (47k miles) for an NA1 NSX. My brother swears up and down if I just put a fresh set of rubber, a set of coilovers, and a BBK on my Z, it would be a much better car than an NSX (he also has a '94 TTZ), but I'm pretty drawn to these cars... always been a dream car of mine. :)

Did anybody really miss their Z after getting an NSX? Is the NSX much more confidence-inspiring to drive hard into a corner? I've been to the track once in my Z (Heartland Park, Topeka, KS) and I'm always out on cruises w/the Z Club, NSX guys, etc, and it just *feels* like a boat... and it gives very vague feedback to the driver. In short, it feels rather unstable and out of place when I throw it into a corner. How is the NSX in comparison for those who track the car? Is it loads more fun to drive?

Did anybody really miss their Z after getting an NSX? Is the NSX much more confidence-inspiring to drive hard into a corner? I've been to the track once in my Z (Heartland Park, Topeka, KS) and I'm always out on cruises w/the Z Club, NSX guys, etc, and it just *feels* like a boat... and it gives very vague feedback to the driver. In short, it feels rather unstable and out of place when I throw it into a corner. How is the NSX in comparison for those who track the car? Is it loads more fun to drive?

Lock off your HiCas and it will will feel more like a Go Cart than a boat .

:D guess what?

got my NSX WOOT!

I used to have a 1992 TTZ, Stage 3+++, putting out about 400hp.

I loved the car, was one of the OGs on TT.net when it was created after TT.com DIAF. :P

However, it pales in comparison to the NSX. The nsx is just so utterly fun to drive, feel light and nimble, and when that thing is up on a hoist..you feel like a proud father looking at the special attention to details in the suspension etc. Honda treated it as their halo car and it shows. I feel like I am sitting in the car driving as opposed to sitting on the car holding on to dear life in my Z. Attentionwise, its no contest.

I do miss the kick of the turbos on my Z, which was solved by my Gruppe M blower. Best thing ever, and the extra torque down low makes it even more fun on the tracks.

John

I used to have a 1992 TTZ, Stage 3+++, putting out about 400hp.

I loved the car, was one of the OGs on TT.net when it was created after TT.com DIAF. :P

However, it pales in comparison to the NSX. The nsx is just so utterly fun to drive, feel light and nimble, and when that thing is up on a hoist..you feel like a proud father looking at the special attention to details in the suspension etc. Honda treated it as their halo car and it shows. I feel like I am sitting in the car driving as opposed to sitting on the car holding on to dear life in my Z. Attentionwise, its no contest.

I do miss the kick of the turbos on my Z, which was solved by my Gruppe M blower. Best thing ever, and the extra torque down low makes it even more fun on the tracks.

John

That's *exactly* what I feel like when driving my Z, lol. I'm not so much driving a car, but riding a rollercoaster. :D It's lots of fun going straight, but it wears off rather quickly and everytime I throw the Z into a corner, it just doesn't feel comfortable.

That being said, I put my Z back up for sale yesterday. :D

I always heard of the s2000 / NSX owner trade-off and many s2k guys move into an NSX eventually or sometimes vice versa back and forth :)

350z's are in general a different type of car all together and not a true sports car (more of a sport touring vehicle) since it has all the creature comforts, etc.

Comparing interior wise stock for stock, the 350z must be better with the leather and other materials. I have not owned a 350 so can't speak on the rattle part.

but if you talking older 300zx, yes the interior does look alike now that you mention it!

My impression has always been that 300/350z owners would not be considering an NSX whereas NSX owners would probably go for an BMW M3 before touching the 350z....just my 2 cents!

rick

I personally think the 350z is a very nice and capable performance car.

Considering the value & performance, it is a hell of a deal. You can probably pick up a good condition 04 or 05 coupe for about $20k.

I wouldn't mind having a one.....

I always heard of the s2000 / NSX owner trade-off and many s2k guys move into an NSX eventually or sometimes vice versa back and forth :)

350z's are in general a different type of car all together and not a true sports car (more of a sport touring vehicle) since it has all the creature comforts, etc.

Comparing interior wise stock for stock, the 350z must be better with the leather and other materials. I have not owned a 350 so can't speak on the rattle part.

but if you talking older 300zx, yes the interior does look alike now that you mention it!

My impression has always been that 300/350z owners would not be considering an NSX whereas NSX owners would probably go for an BMW M3 before touching the 350z....just my 2 cents!

rick

Creature comforts...? Where? The 350 is fairly spartan and fairly cheap on the inside to be honest. From the inside, other than driving it (it drives rather nicely IMHO), the 350Z is not a great place to be... The seats are pretty decent and the driving position is good, but the interior materials are junk. After taking an NSX out for a drive the other day, I can say it has a much much much much much nicer interior. The S2000, as much more bare bones than the 350 as it is, still has a nicer interior than a 350Z.

Don't get me wrong, as mentioned above, the 350 is, in fact, a hell of a car. It handles quite well, and the Brembo brakes are phenominal (Hell, even the non-Brembos are pretty damn good). The engine is rather torquey and it has more than enough power to be a fun. Like the original 240Z, the 350Z is quite a performance bargain. Hell, due to its confidence-inspiring nature, I've even thought about selling my much more powerful 300ZXTT for a newer 350. However, you'll find that I'm posting all this on an NSX forum and not a 350Z forum, which should speak volumes about where I think my money is going next. :)

I have not owned a 350 so can't speak on the rattle part.

The dash is already starting to rattle in my roomate's 4yr old 350. Its not really all that much fun to drive. The steering feels benign, its heavy as all getout, and really stupid stuff breaks on it (both window motors already for example).

I'd never own one but he loves it (his first 'new' car so I think he's biased haha)

Yes I still visit that site daily. As a premier member I still enjoy the "anything goes section". Lots of nice vids. and pics.[if you know what I mean:wink: ].

I'm GQ 350z on my350z.com/forum...

Still looking for my late model NSX or P-Car =/

Ravi

I'm GQ 350z on my350z.com/forum...

Still looking for my late model NSX or P-Car =/

Ravi

Ravi,
are you selling your Z? or did you already sell it? i really enjoyed seeing yours on media share all the time.

Hey man!

I saw your post on OT over there and made the connection. Congrats on your purchase, she's a beaut ;)

Thanks for the comment! I debated selling it. Thinking of keeping it as my dd, because the resale value has gone to the gutter =( At this point it's almost not worth selling it ya know? If I get a good deal I might sell or trade in for either a Porsce or the NSX.

Still looking for my Z's replacement. I gotta say though, the Z community is among the best in the world as far as user base goes. It is very friendly and almost like a brother hood. I've met so many cool people through them such as you guys. That's definitely one big plus for me to purchase an NSX (if more Z guys are buying them).

Take care and keep us all posted with updates.
Ravi

I had a 91 twinturbo for my first car when I was 17, and sent it to stillen for the GTZ conversion back in the day. Only regrets I have is not having the twin turbo's in my nsx. The 90's style Z was definately a hot car, no comparison to its replacement the 350z. 350z dosen't even come close to the 300zx. Frank

I had a 91 twinturbo for my first car when I was 17, and sent it to stillen for the GTZ conversion back in the day. Only regrets I have is not having the twin turbo's in my nsx. The 90's style Z was definately a hot car, no comparison to its replacement the 350z. 350z dosen't even come close to the 300zx. Frank

+1 . I never liked the 350z. I still have my 94 300zx Twin Turbo. It just gets up and goes with no turbo lag. Speaking of that. I went to Acura Dealership to check out a 94 Red NSX. I spoke to a few of the mechanics from the dealership and after they saw my 300zx, they advised me to keep my 300zx or keep both NSX/300ZX, but not to get rid of the Twin Turbo for an NSX.
Some of the other comments from the Acura mechanics:
NSX does not compare with the 300zx Twin Turbos when it come to stock speed between the two. Price is 3x higher than the 300zx.
However, they did mention that the NSX was a very nice handling car and all aluminum body. Also advised to be careful where it's parked because it was like a tin can and dents really easily.
Body repairs are very expensive and working on the NSX are very hard to work on due to mid-engine space. Overall, they all suggested to keep the 300zx TT and enjoy it. I was really surprised to hear that from 3 different Acura Mechanics.
After all that, I did not get the 94 NSX because it wasn't that clean and only in fair condition. Asking price was $29,000.

I have another 93 NSX Red with 64K miles in immaculate condition inside and out and all maint. done for $25,000. However, it's in another state. How in the world can I check this car out? Fly there? I can't offer him $25K without looking and driving the car.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
+1 .
I have another 93 NSX Red with 64K miles in immaculate condition inside and out and all maint. done for $25,000. However, it's in another state. How in the world can I check this car out? Fly there? I can't offer him $25K without looking and driving the car.

Any suggestions?

Have someone on prime look at the car for you and posted in the region section!!!:smile:

I had an '03 350Z, early production model, last four digits of SN 3725. Had a # of recalls as it was a newer car. Agree with one other post that the interior noise of Z was less except it had a noisy sun visor (a recall!). My '95 NSX-T has a fair amt of squeeks that seem to be from the targa roof.

The NSX seems to be a much better engineered car and far superior in quality and ability to turn heads.

The Z had a Procharger @ 9lbs, Boyd wheels, BFG KDWs and an Eclipse AVN5435 w/Infinity speakers/JL W6 sub.

Would pick the NSX over Z regardless of price difference.

As of tomorrow at this time I'll be driving home my new 93 NSX Red w/ 75K miles and all major maint. has been completed such as timing belt, clutch, seals, tires, etc...

I'll have 10 hours of driving to get to know her.

I just sold my Twin Turbo Z tonight. I hate to say goodbye to her, but I can't keep both. However, I'm enjoying my NSX now and I couldn't go back to the Z again. The drive and the looks are awesome.

Back