• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purist VS Enthusiasts

Hello Everyone,

I have a general question to the experienced owners out there.

I will be taking delivery of a 2001 (Red, of course, with Camel interior) this weekend, if all the paperwork gets done in time.

It is about as perfect as you can get, coming from an impeccable owner.

My dilemma is this: I would like to add a few items, but want to know if it creates a concern/issue with the NSX purists out there.

Some updates considered are changing the rear end to the 2002 valence, update to HID lighting, adding driving/fog lights (maybe the stock set that come on the European cars), and later adding some rims (most likely stock size).

My question is: Am I desecrating the vehicle in the general NSX public eyes?

If I make these changes, should I keep all stock items in storage should the next possible owner (when you pull the steering wheel out of my cold, dead hands) require a factory look?

Anyone else ever wrestle with this predicament?

[Tag line on order]

You should do what ever makes you enjoy the car more. It is your car, why worry about what some one else thinks about it. That's why you see so many diff. choices on wheels, body kits, lighting. etc. But I would keep the old parts just in case you have to revert it back to original condition. Enjoy the car. :)

Last edited:
No, you are not "desecrating" the NSX. Do what makes you happy! It is a very good idea to keep all OEM components in case you ever sell it.

Good luck

SamBel said:
My question is: Am I desecrating the vehicle in the general NSX public eyes?
No. But it all depends on your personal preferences. As noted by others - if you like those mods, then get them.

While "desecration" is subjective, market value is a more tangible issue. As long as you keep the stock parts and the mods are reversible, market value will almost never be affected, since you can return the car to stock if you like. Incidentally, the mods you describe are minor ones that shouldn't decrease market value of the car if sold with the mods (although you won't get the full purchase price of the mods back in market value, of course). If you are concerned about market value, avoid mods like aftermarket wings and garish interior treatments, which would be most likely to reduce market value.

Who gives a f***? (In a nice way!) I personally wanted to get maximum highway performance so I made engine and exhaust changes. Am not interested in handling at this point b/c I don't wanna wear out $250 tires every 4 months. Do I think it detracts from the car?????? Not in the least bit. Just my rap and pinion.

Danny Yee.

I like my cars stock, but it's your car so do what you want to it--keeping in mind resale value (if that's important to you). Enjoy your new NSX!

About the rear 2002 valence. Too -me- it looks different but not necessarily better, especially if you talked to the average joe who doesn't know what's old or new. I guess it looks more modern, but the old valence looked pretty good I think. The front is growing on me though.. but again it's just different and 'newer'... I think the lights might have been better if they didn't have the little odd tumorish lumps on them.

ibDursty said:
I think the lights might have been better if they didn't have the little odd tumorish lumps on them.

I agree. I wish the 2002 lights were flush with the hood.

I agree with everyone. Keep your old original parts. Also, if there is any part you physically need to modify that can't be returned to stock, purchase a used spare part to be modified. That way you can return your car to 100% stock if you need to. It cost more since you have to buy duplicate parts, but you have peace of mind that you still have all your original parts.

I have an '01 red/tan NSX.....love it by the way. I have the '02 valance, HID lights, Comptech exhaust, instrument panel rings. I will be doing brakes, suspension, rims, etc. So long as your modificatiosn are well thought out and not extrmeme, I do not believe the value of the car is harmed at all.

Good luck with your car - how many miles, where did it come from, etc.

I'll be a little immature and direct: Seems like everything you are going to do to the car will compliment the car's look, even in the most discrimative eyes, none of those will make your car looked bad.... SAVE FOR the FOG LIGHTS, the stock one doesn't look bad but will block the air towards the brakes on the track, it'll also potentially break by rock chips. Don't tell me you are going to put some Piaa/Catz fog lights, it's way way 90's. With you putting the HID in the car, fog light is useless but "I'm still living in 80's and 90's" statement.
Also don't get the HID in those 8000k-12000k bulbs, it looks cool for awhile but it won't help you see anything but cops light in your rear view mirror.

THAT SAID, I had just helped one of my buddy installing the piaas in his flawless 91. I almost puked when I screwed in the bracket on his perfect condition bumper. So... Seriously, do whatever that you would be happy with.

Cairo94507 said:
Good luck with your car - how many miles, where did it come from, etc.

It is from a current Prime member who lives in Austin TX, about 150 miles from here. 1,300 miles on it...nope, not a typo. ONLY 1,300 on a 2001 Red w/Camel interior!

Sure wish Saturday would get here REALLY REALLY FAST!

How do you like those instrument panel rings? Difficult to install?

Any pictures available?

NSXDreamer2 said:
SAVE FOR the FOG LIGHTS...Also don't get the HID in those 8000k-12000k bulbs, it looks cool for awhile but it won't help you see anything but cops light in your rear view mirror.

Thanks for the opinion NSXDreamer2. I am strongly considering the 5300k HID setup. I thought I could just plug in the stock fog/driving lights, but an older message from SoS says it's not possible due to wiring issues on the US models.

Oh well...so many mods, so little time!

NSXDreamer2 said:
SAVE FOR the FOG LIGHTS, the stock one doesn't look bad but will block the air towards the brakes on the track, it'll also potentially break by rock chips.

No, they won't brake nor will they be going blind nor will the glasses be significantly chipped, if at all.
I have the OEM fog lights (European model) on the car for 12 years/62kmiles mostly driven at hig speeds (autobahn).
No issues. Seems they are pretty good quality.

andy l.

Back