Puppy Potty Training

MsKadyB said:
You all have pretty dogs. :)
I bet you do, too. Show us a picture of your pretty Shih Tzu! What is his name?

It sounds like your puppy is actually learning very fast. You will reach a point where you suddenly realize that he has not made a mistake in several weeks, and that he really is housetrained.

Keep an eye on him, too; you may notice that he exhibits certain behaviors when he needs to go out. Some dogs bark, some go to the back door, some just sit there and look at you. Whatever he is, if that's what he does, you can encourage him by letting him out at that time - and that way he will realize that he can ask to go out.

nsxtasy said:
I bet you do, too. Show us a picture of your pretty Shih Tzu! What is his name?

It sounds like your puppy is actually learning very fast. You will reach a point where you suddenly realize that he has not made a mistake in several weeks, and that he really is housetrained.

Keep an eye on him, too; you may notice that he exhibits certain behaviors when he needs to go out. Some dogs bark, some go to the back door, some just sit there and look at you. Whatever he is, if that's what he does, you can encourage him by letting him out at that time - and that way he will realize that he can ask to go out.

His name is Bam-Bam! :D And he is the same color is this Shih-Tzu: ;) I have pictures of him on a digicam, but I haven't uploaded them yet.

Attachments

• [angry shitzu].jpg
    [angry shitzu].jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 325
Wow- he's ready to take on the world, isn't he?

He's got the Dirty Harry look -

"Well - do ya feel lucky .... Punk?"
gunsfiring.gif

Hehe...yea...that is the cutest picture! When I saw Bam-Bam, I knew he was the one. :) He is asleep on the bed next to my laptop right now. I'm soo attached to his dog. When I'm away from him, I seriously feel sad! I love him soooo much. :D

He has the sniffles right now. :( I am calling the vet in the morning. The pet store we bought him from provides two complimentary vet visits as well as any medication he might need. When he picked him up, he just had one of his worming shots administered, so they warned me that he might sneeze a bit, but it's starting to worry me. They also said the stress of moving to a new home might make him sick.

Oops...forgot the pics. :p

Meet Bam-Bam! :)

He went tinkle on the pad right after we took this pic, hehe.

Attachments

• [bam bam 3].jpg
    [bam bam 3].jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 782
hlweyl said:
Get the proper sized crate for your dog. If you get one too large, the puppy will likely do his business in there.;)

I also tried to use the word association from the time my lab was a pup...
Yup, the crate I started with for my pooch was too large, and he certainly didn't mind using a corner of it. And yes, the word association thing works! When I say "go potty," he does his thing. ;)

"Vinny" AKC name: Vincent Piz N Vinegar
A high powered Vizsla with a double dose of go.

Attachments

• vin2.jpg
    vin2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 297
Forced induction Dog Power

High Boost for sure. :D

Attachments

• vin1.jpg
    vin1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 292
MsKadyB said:
His name is Bam-Bam! :D And he is the same color is this Shih-Tzu: ;) I have pictures of him on a digicam, but I haven't uploaded them yet.

Bam Bam.....would that happen to be a name convert by other language?

polar said:
Bam Bam.....would that happen to be a name convert by other language?

Nah. We were planning to get a female and name her Pebbles, but since we ended up with a male, it seemed appropriate to name him Bam-Bam. :)

The other name I really like (and sometimes still consider changing to...haha) is Guiness. However, I don't want him getting all mixed up. :p

:)

Attachments

• poledancer.jpg
    poledancer.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 254
He's humping the plant!

HAHA! No that's not mine. I just thought it was a cute picture and you'd like it. I don't have a dog right now and have to live through all of you. :(
I will have one soon though. I just need to finish my backyard and get a fence. I'm thinking probably a boxer.

Boxers are big dogs! You definitely need a yard for those. Have you looked around at all? I did a lot of research on different breeds before deciding on a Shih Tzu.

Yes, I've looked into it alot. Boxers are supposed to be awesome with people, especially kids. They do look kind of scary, but I think they're cute. They are also supposed to be a very possitive animal meaning they are fine and relaxed with the conditions around them and they don't bark all the time at every little sound that they hear. I do have a yard big enough for them. It's just dirt right now. I had the house built about a year ago, but didn't have them finish the back yard for me. Just the front yard is done. The yard would be getting done right now, but we'll be having our first baby in about 3 months. :D :D :D :D And I definitely don't want to have a new puppy and baby in the same house. :) But the bigger reason is to save money so I can spoil my new little daughter. I'm so excited! She's going to be such a daddie's girl! I'm going to let her get away with murder. Not really, but you know what I mean.

dogs are a great addition to a family

This is so true! I've been away from home now for 6 years. I haven't had a dog this whole time. We always did growing up. They were alot of times my best friends. I loved my dogs. So anyway, did you get this one as a graduation present for yourself? Presents that you get for yourself usually make the best presents.:D

White 92,

I know this is off topic but I wanted to tell you that I have a boxer, Ginger. The way you describe their personality is exactly correct. Ginger never barks unless there is a very good reason to bark. She will cry often though if you lock her up or separate her from the family, she wants to be with people and thinks she’s a lap dog. My wife and I live on a cul-de-sac where several of the neighborhood children play. They will come over frequently, nock on the door, and ask if Ginger can come out and play. They try to play keep-away with here but can only catch her (to get the ball back) if they literally tackle her. They will often pin her down and pull her ears in the process (these kids are young). She has never once been aggressive towards them while they are rough with her. In general she is full of energy, loves everyone, and has a great personality. I would highly recommend a boxer to anyone that was thinking about getting one.

My wife and I are expecting our first child this year too. We have no worries that Ginger will accept the new baby. I have attached a couple of pictures of her.

Last edited:
Picture 2

This is her with a cat we found on the side of the road. We kept it until we could find a home for it. Ginger was very sad when we gave it away. The cat was a mess though, litter boxes suck!

Attachments

• ginger2.jpg
    ginger2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Back