Puppy Potty Training

We just got our new Shih Tzu puppy the other day and I immediately began potty training him. I've been using puppy potty pads inside and I've also been taking him out every few hours, after every meal and after every nap. I'm surprised that he's been doing fairly well. He will go outside or on the potty pad if you watch him, but he HAS had a few accidents. Usually I can catch him right before and I carry him outside, but when he does have an accident, I read that I shouldn't give too much negative reinforcement. Rather, I should emphasis praise when he does go on the pad or outside.

I'm hoping to have him potty trained by the end of the month. Any technique suggestions? Thanks! :)

So far so good. Positive reinforcement generally works much better than negative since yelling at a puppy goes little more than make them a little paranoid and skittish. You could also try giving him a tiny treat after he does what he is supposed to do, whether outside or on the pads, so he associates the proper behavior with the "reward."

You might also want to consider reading the book and/or watching the tape about raising a puppy by the Monks of New Skete. http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

Also, if you leave him home alone during the day you could reduce his stress with some treats like I still do with my little beast. I put a couple of treats in her box of toys so she immediately rummages around the box looking for them when I leave. She learned quite quickly to associate me leaving with a "good thing" and became much less apprehensive about being home alone. She then always gets a "cookie" when I get back. Amazingly, she has always saved the cookie until I get home despite the fact that I leave it out with her pupperoni.

How long do you leave her alone for? Right now, my job allows me some flexibility where I can bring him with me sometimes while I go on my sessions. However, there are some days when I may not be with him for 3 hours or more. He's still getting used to me as his "mommy" and I am afraid to leave him alone. :(

She can now be left alone for up to 12 hours if necessary without any problems. I also leave classical music playing for her all day which has been her signal to take a nap when I leave.

Naturally, I leave water out for her and she is paper trained so if she needs to go during the day she just walks into the rear bathroom and goes on her pad.

Start by leaving him for shorter periods of time to get him adjusted to being alone. Plus, if you try the "treats trick" that I mentioned above he will quickly associate you coming and going with a good thing and will soon learn that mommy will be coming home each time.

My experience is that even a small dog, if it's a male, will want to go do it outside. Our maltese was potty trained when he was young and was doing alright until he became about 1 year old when he just couldn't do it anymore. He would hold it until he is let out and never use the potty. Since he'd hold it until he's let out, it wasn't a problem. I figured that all males need to go freely :D

My vet recommended a crate when my lab was a pup. At first, I thought it a bit cruel, but the more I read I was convinced.

You have to use a crate the proper way. I. E. not as punishment, but instead as the puppies personal space. I used it about 3 years (my lab is now 9) and he loved it actually going in the crate on his own accord when he was tired.

Good luck

ak said:
My experience is that even a small dog, if it's a male, will want to go do it outside. Our maltese was potty trained when he was young and was doing alright until he became about 1 year old when he just couldn't do it anymore. He would hold it until he is let out and never use the potty. Since he'd hold it until he's let out, it wasn't a problem. I figured that all males need to go freely :D

Males need to mark their territory. :D

Nice little case study you just shared... i found that very interesting.

I give him a small treat when he goes potty the correct way. :) I try to regulate everything he does right now so that he gets used to a routine and that includes his meal schedule. I figure that if he eats at a consistent time every day, he'll learn to go potty at a regular time, also. I don't let him eat later than 6:30-7:00pm that way I can take him out to the bathroom and he'll be okay throughout the night. I notice, though, that he is less successful going potty at night than during the day when he DOES have to relieve himself. He also will not go on his potty pad after he's already used it once.

When we got our dog we read all the puppy books and did that warm and fuzzy positive reinforcement stuff. One time I could not control my frustration when the dog decided to pee once again on the kitchen floor so I picked her up, said a few short words and tossed her outside into a snow drift. At that moment we (the dog and I) reached the mutual understanding that if she didn’t pee indoors, I wouldn’t toss her in a snow bank and we haven’t had any problems since.

DanO

Some dogs will have problems later training both inside and outside. If the weather is good and you can get the pup outside every 4-6 hours, then just do the outside method. It also trains them to go to that door (ALWAYS use the same exit door and area of the yard) when "the time is getting close". Also start using your "word", and make sure everyone is using that word to reduce confusion.

As Dan has unavoidably mentioned, scolding during the act is OK, but totally useless once voiding is complete.

When my dog acts up, I threaten that I'll dress him like this for next Halloween and all of the other dogs will make fun of him.

Attachments

• real winnie the poo.jpg
    real winnie the poo.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 451
If you've got cats, this little device seems to work wonders as well.

Attachments

• tabbytote.jpg
    tabbytote.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 651
Lots of good advice here so far, and you are doing a lot of things right already. Here are a few more suggestions.

Puppies don't want to soil "their space". When you confine them (in a crate or similarly small area), they will probably not mess there. This gives you the perfect opportunity to use this as a training aid. Confine them when they are alone and/or resting; when you get home or when they awake, immediately take them outside to do their business. When you're home anyway, and they're loose around the house, take them out as frequently as you can - every 2-3 hours, or any time they wake up from a nap, while they're still housetraining.

I can't say enough about the benefits of crate training. Dogs see it as their own "den", their own space. We have used crates to help train all our dogs and they have worked like a charm. When we go to bed or leave the house, the puppy goes in the crate, with the door locked. When we wake up or get home, we take the puppy outside to do his business. They have all been nearly perfectly housetrained within a week or two.

Once they're fully trained, we still leave the crates set up with the doors open, and they often sleep in there. We rarely lock Cosmo, our adult bearded collie, in his crate now; he has the run of the house, even when he's home alone, and he's fine. Layla, our nine-month-old puppy who is his daughter, is still pretty young; she has the run of the house even at night, but we still lock her in the crate when they're home alone. Some time soon we might let her have the run of the house when we're away, as well. But we'll still leave the crates set up; it's their "den", their "home", and their own special place, where they can rest any time they want, without being bothered.

You'll find excellent tips and information about crate training and housebreaking on the website for Midwest Homes for Pets, a leading manufacturer of pet crates. Granted, they have a financial interest in crate usage. But let me tell you, it works!

There are lots of different kinds of crates these days. There are collapsible metal crates. There are also collapsible fabric crates that are very light weight. We keep one of each for each dog.

Shop around on price. And check the internet. You may find that your favorite store chain shows lower prices on their website than in person, but they will often meet their own web prices (if not those of others) if you bring a printout of their website to the store.

I don't think much of "potty pads". IMO they train the dog that it's okay to do their business indoors, but in certain places. I guess that's fine if you have an area (basement?) that you want to use for that purpose... but if you want them to only go outdoors, then I think you're better off training them that way. Just my O.

I have heard that you can expect puppies to hold themselves for two plus their age in months, in hours. So a four month old puppy can hold it for six hours. With our latest puppy, Layla, that worked up to the age of four months. She was then on a six-hour limit for 2-3 months after that. Now, at nine months, she can go the whole night (although regardless of when she went to bed, she wants to go out as soon as it gets light out).

Here's a recent photo of Layla:

wNDY1MzE4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and one of her next to her daddy, Cosmo:

wNDY1MzE2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
I don't think much of "potty pads". IMO they train the dog that it's okay to do their business indoors, but in certain places. I guess that's fine if you have an area (basement?) that you want to use for that purpose... but if you want them to only go outdoors, then I think you're better off training them that way. Just my O.
Agree with this 100% - you should put the pad by the door, then when you see him go towards the door, it is easy to just take him outside; the subsequent step is to remove the pad altogether & the behaviour of going to the door will continue. Try not to let him actually go on the pad if you can! He will get positive re-inforcement from the treat of being outside & play-time without it necessarily being an oral treat.

This is Roni -

Attachments

• roni.jpg
    roni.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 416
White92 said:
If you've got cats, this little device seems to work wonders as well.
I had to laugh out loud at that - but when I show my wife, White92 she's going to track you down & tote you off in it. :D

she's going to track you down & tote you off in it.

haha I guess I better change my profile to China then right? Most people do have that reaction when I show that picture to them. My boss at work is a huge cat lover and didn't think it was too funny. But it was all in good fun and I still have a job so she couldn't have been that mad right?:D

nsxtasy said:

Ideally, that would be the best scenario but I have used the pads for 8 1/2 years to allow my beast to be "comfortable" during the day when my schedule is just too busy to be around for her to get outside at regular intervals. It is a trade-off but I would rather know that she can go inside in the bathroom if I am late than worry about accidents on the rug or, worse, a stressed out dog waiting to go outside.

D'Ecosse said:
Agree with this 100% - you should put the pad by the door, then when you see him go towards the door, it is easy to just take him outside; the subsequent step is to remove the pad altogether & the behaviour of going to the door will continue. Try not to let him actually go on the pad if you can! He will get positive re-inforcement from the treat of being outside & play-time without it necessarily being an oral treat.

This is Roni -

You all have pretty dogs. :)

I keep the potty pad by the door. He usually just pees there. He doesn't defacate very often, so I don't think he quite understands that he has to go outside for that because I'll see him trying to go on the potty pad. I caught him last time, though, and put him outside. However, once he was outside, he just played in the grass. :rolleyes: He's doing pretty well with tinkling. I really haven't had that many accidents with him. Maybe 5 or so since we brought him home and I started training him. :)

Like many others have already said, crate training works great. I crate trained my dog and he was potty trained almost instantly. He still goes into his crate for a little "KT" (kennel time) during the day. So when we can't find him, we look for him in his kennel. :D

MsKadyB said:
He doesn't defacate very often, so I don't think he quite understands that he has to go outside for that because I'll see him trying to go on the potty pad.
Here's something that might help. Puppies tend to need to urinate fairly regularly, every x hours. However, defecation doesn't happen as often. If you are letting him outside and/or taking him for walks regularly so that he can pee, keep track of when he poops too, as well as when he ate. You may find that it's on a regular schedule, possibly coordinated with his meals - for example, he always poops 1-2 hours after he eats; if so, you can make sure that you take him outside at the time that he would be about ready to poop, even without waiting for him to ask to go outside.

(Meant in good humour, not nit-picking here)
Defacation would be ripping his face off! :eek:
(Defecate, not defacate as nsxtasy already recognized: difference between faces & feces!) :D

Also, just too funny to see defecate & poop used in the same sentence ....

D'Ecosse said:
(Meant in good humour, not nit-picking here)
Defacation would be ripping his face off! :eek:
(Defecate, not defacate as nsxtasy already recognized: difference between faces & feces!) :D

Also, just too funny to see defecate & poop used in the same sentence ....

Oops... :o I definitely do not want to rip my puppy's face off. :(
:p

He just pooped outside...yay! I'm so happy! He kept walking out towards the door and he wouldn't come back when I called him, so I finally took him outside and he poo'd! Hopefully that means he is beginning to understand! I've never been so excited about shit before! Haha... (Okay, sorry that was so crass.) :p :)

One more thing about crates. Get the proper sized crate for your dog. If you get one too large, the puppy will likely do his business in there.;)

I also tried to use the word association from the time my lab was a pup. I would say in a nice voice "go pee" everytime before he went. To this day I will still use that phrase, like if we are getting ready to leave for a few hours and I want to make sure that he pees before I leave... it works! But then again, my dog is MUCH smarter than all the other dogs in the world of course.:cool:

Back