Pre-owned NSX or New S2000

Given the opportunity, which would you buy and why?

I know, I realize this is an NSX forum, but they are both Hondas and do share many similarities.

With the S2000 you get a warranty and a new car with no history.
With the NSX you get an everyday exotic with no warranty and a possible history. Obviously, there are more positives and negatives to the comparison, but I wanted to hear from those that have faced this situation.

sebringred.jpg
nsx.jpg

A used NSX....

a. Resale / Depreciation would be tons better on a used NSX
b. An S2000 isn't as rare or exotic
c. Performance
d. Driving position, looks
e. Supercar status

There are many more reasons, but theres the ones i'd be thinking of....

I looked at the S2000 when they first came out. I was very interested and had to go to Modesto to check one out. The dealer had 2 on the showroom floor. They would not let me take one for a test drive. The dealer markup was $10,000 and I did not fit well in the cockpit. I was very cramped and even if they were offering test drives, I don't think I would have taken one...just too uncomfortable. So, the next logical step was to look at the NSX. The rest is history.

Now, to your question, now that I own an NSX, and have so for more than 1 1/2 years with only one maintenance issue (climate control - $700), I'd by the NSX again. Even if I could fit in the S2000, I'd still take the NSX. No regrets here.

NSX

NSX all the way. S2000 is a nice car but it is NOT an NSX period. You will do yourself a disservice by getting S2000 over a nice NSX.Just my 2 1/2 c

Cambo said:
A used NSX....

c. Performance
e. Supercar status

Virtually all the same reasons why I choose a used NSX over a new S2K myself. I do like the S2K though. I would have bought one if a used NSX was still significantly more expensive or if there were no NSX to begin with. I had always loved the NSX and new that no matter what, I would regret it if I didn't at least try ownership experience. My price budget put be in the range of a used BMW 540i, a used GS400/430, a new Infiniti G35 Coupe, a new BMW 330, but I had to go with the used NSX. My thought was if I didn't do it know than when? I would always wonder what it would have been like to own one. If I didn't like it I knew I would have an easy time selling it for practically what I paid for it. So, I bought it and have no regrets thus so far. Everyday is still an enjoyable drive and it is starting to get a lot more enjoyable since I started modifying it:D

:)

I am in the same shoe.. either S2K or NSX..
but I lean toward NSX for the fact that this is my chance to own the TOP of the line of Honda...
and I am a Honda fans... my cars are all Hondas.

Crossing finger so that I can have an NSX by next week. :)
if not.. S2K is an alternative.. but if I can choose.. older NSX!

I went through the same decision process. After driving both, it was no contest. I sit very far back and the seat in the S2000 doesn't go back far enough for me.

I like every aspect of the NSX better although i'd give the S2k's shifter a slight advantage. Side note: car insurance for the S2k would have cost me more than the NSX. Go figure.

I'm still kinda kicking myself for buying a brand new Subaru WRX when I probably could have purchased an early 90s NSX for around the same coin. I guess the problem is, I don't have a garage in which to store it, which would probably leave an exotic like that, wide open to get stolen.

The depreciation is a good point. I paid 22,500 for a 2003 WRX that stickered at $25,700. It might be worth $17,000 if I'm lucky. A 1991 NSX probably wouldn't have really depreciated at all hardly even if I threw an extra 20,000 miles on it over a year.

wrxrob said:
I'm still kinda kicking myself for buying a brand new Subaru WRX when I probably could have purchased an early 90s NSX for around the same coin. I guess the problem is, I don't have a garage in which to store it, which would probably leave an exotic like that, wide open to get stolen.

The depreciation is a good point. I paid 22,500 for a 2003 WRX that stickered at $25,700. It might be worth $17,000 if I'm lucky. A 1991 NSX probably wouldn't have really depreciated at all hardly even if I threw an extra 20,000 miles on it over a year.

In 2001 I traded a 2000 STS for my 92 NSX. Look at the value of a 2000 STS now compared to the value of a 92 NSX. Very good investment IMO.

Well, I definitely like the NSX better, but for me its a decision based on whether the car is new or used.

I'm not the type that would buy a car used, so for me I would get the S2000.

Cambo said:
A used NSX....

c. Performance
e. Supercar status

another Amen!

Well for me i bought a new s2000 in the year 2000.
Back then it was the car to buy, so in 2000 for me to buy a nsx was not worth it.. Did i want a 10 year old car or a new s2000
but now i'm buying a nsx i have been looking for the right one and i think i found it.I'm finnally down to two cars, i just have to make up my mind in which won i want ,,but buying the s2000 was alot easyer(is that a word?) b/c its was new and i could pick what evercolor i wanted ,,,,

but with the nsx it seem i fine one then its sold already, or wow this is a good deal, but this cars has paintwork, or its been hit, ot stolen car , sal. title etc.etc.etc......................

and i keep going up in price .. i strated at 30k fora early90's nsx , now i looking to get a 97 or newer.i fine one then i find a better one that i want.. its kind of funny.. but its really up to the person...
everone is different and if u want an new car then s2000..
if u want a 14yearsold nsx then its a nsx..

but i do think they drive alot alike.nsx morepower,(mys2000 is SC so ). they both handle really well, but either way i don't think u can go wrong with either car.... goog luck , and have fun
the most fun i have in a car is when i'm buying one...

S2000 or NSX

When I wrote my NSX-T off in March this year I immediately put down a deposit for another one nut not being able to afford a new one then when the insurance money came through I bought a new S2000 for the summer.

The S2000 is a great sports car. Great handling, fantastic gearbox and a lot of fun to drive. A well driven S2000 would be hard to pass on a twisty road with no appreciable straightsbut the NSX would be right with it.. If the NSX was ahead it would leave the S2000 far behind.

I traded in my S2000 for a nearly new NSX this week. The NSX is not a sports car - it's a true GT/supercar.

The two cars are quite different but equally great in their own way.

Drive both and buy what you like.

True, True...

You guys have covered much of the same reasoning I have thought about too.

Now I need to find an NSX to drive.

Anyone want to volunteer? :p

You really should test drive the NSX first!

You really should test drive the NSX first! I can almost guarantee you that once you experience VTEC in the NSX, your heart will not rest until you own one! My co-worker owns a S2000, the seating is too tight, the engine is located in the front and you really have to rev the engine up to 9,000 RPM to feel the VTEC. Hope this helps with your decision. :D I wouldn't even consider them as comparable. NSX is on another level. My co-worker dreams NSX. ;)

ss5153

I think you're being a bit hard on the S2000. I'm 5' 11'' and 85 kg and I fit the S2000 fine.

The fun of the S2000 is that you can drive it as an "ordinary" sports car - revving it up to about 6,000 rpm - and it's good fun to drive. Then you can go mental and rev it through to 8,500 rpm ( no point going over this). Car and Driver recently did a comparison test between the S2000, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z4, Audi TT and Nissan 350Z and the S2000 came out on top.

It's also £35k cheaper than the NSX.

Tom239 said:
Sometimes one detail can be a show-stopper.

I wouldn't want a S2000 because I really don't like the look of the instrument panel.

I honestly think that most by standers are more concerned with the exterior of the car. The exterior of the car is the only thing that turns heads on the street.

oh this reminds me, as I wrote on some other posts there was a NSX behind me today (this is the closest my NSX has ever been to another one) in this slow traffic. It probably must have been a spectacular sight from outside... especially for that S2000 driver that was on the other side and his girl friend, their jaws were on the road.

This is really a dead beat question, but it "almost" went through all prospective nsx / S2000 buyers...

I will add 2 more reasons for choosing the NSX...

1. The engine note/ exhaust, though it probably not the most beautiful sound in the industry, but being them screaming within 5 inches from your ears, it's getting intoxicating and addicting. Now the S2000 9000rpm mechanical "noise" is also fun, but like I put, it's more like a "mechnial noise" Maybe an intake, header and exhaust will help a little on the S2000. But if you do the same to the nsx, you will be in heaven. (but also a bigger hole in your wallet, or more yelling from wifey...)

2. Here's my main reason for getting my 91 nsx 3 months ago. "Would I still be jealous if a nsx flied by me when I were driving a S2k??" or "Would I regret getting the nsx when a S2k passing by me??" I found the later is very unlikely... thus I'm the pround owner of the NSX.

cheers:D

ChrisK and Cambo put it very well:

I made this decision about a year and a half ago. At the time, I was considering a either a new S2k (silverstone/black) or a good condition 91-94 NSX. Ideally, I wanted a bone stock green or white manual 94 with a black interior, but they were proving very difficult to locate.

I drove them both, and just couldn't resist the NSX. About 2 weeks later, I found a white 94 for sale a few hundred miles from me and fell in lust immediately. About a week later it was in the garage. I have had absolutely no regrets at all and still get the same feeling on a daily basis. This car has found its final home, and I doubt the same would be true of an S2k. As fringe benefits: it is still worth about what I paid for it, this forum is outstanding, and maintenance has been less on it than on my daily driver.

If I were doing the same shopping today for a stablemate to the NSX I would probably consider an S2k, a Lotus Elise, a G35 coupe or a 6 speed M3. Drive all the cars you are considering and then commence to a long hard search for your favorite! I've never been sorry for being too picky with my car purchases.

Good luck in your search, post pics of whatever you get!

Back