Pre-owned NSX or New S2000

NSXDreamer2 said:

I will add ... more reasons for choosing the NSX...

1. The engine note/ exhaust, though it probably not the most beautiful sound in the industry, ...

3. Torque at low rpm: with an NSX you almost never have to plan and IMO too longwait to reach the torque peak to get real performance,

you engage the clutch and you instanly get your ticket for great fun and acceleration.

4. Top speed in the sense that it is around 140 mph you feel the NSX slowing its acceleration, where a S2K is definately dying over 120 mph...

Good Luck, these are two great cars but NSXDreamer2 is absolutely right: the engine sound is ADDICTIVE.

Last edited:
I would say drive them both. Some prefer the V6 in the NSX and others prefer the I4 in the S2000.

As much as I like the Honda 4-cylinder engines, I like the 6-cylinder in the NSX even more. You don't need to shift as often and the engine is very smooth in the NSX.

Now if I did a lot of city driving, I would seriously consider the S2000 just because its easier to manuever around in traffic and park.

A friend of mine traded in his NSX for an S2000 because he was always worried about parking it in the city (getting dings). He also thought the S2000 was funner to drive. I think in general, its funner to drive a slower car fast then it is to drive a faster car slow (if that makes any sense to you). But he also said that everyone should experience the NSX at least once in their life. After a year or two , I think he got tired of the S2000 and sold it for a new BMW M3.

Everyone has some worries about getting a used car, but if you get it inspected and its ok, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I test drove 5 S2000's over the weekend

1st 2002 S2000
2nd 2000 S2000
3rd 2004 S2000
4th 2003 S2000
5th 2001 S2000.

Noticeable improvement to ride quality in the 04 S2000. I also liked the new wheels, front facia and rear valence, all the way down to the oval exhaust tips. However, I was less enthusiastic about the engine changes. I really did not noticed the increase in torque and although the power is supposed to come on sooner, the only thing I noticed is it dropped off sooner (having to shift 1000 rpm sooner). I actually like the engine characteristics of the pre-04 model. The pre-04's seem to me to be more driver-enthusiast and the 04 MY seems to be more mainstream. I am quite sure Honda will sell more of the 04's, but many of *our* type will appreciate the previous MY's.

Another point worth noting. Out of all the cars I test drove that day, it was the 2002 S2000 that felt the strongest and fastest, believe it or not. Nothing outrageous, but still noticeable.

Now I need to find an NSX to drive. Again, any one care to offer their keys? :D

But seriously, thanks for all the good feedback. There are numerous points to ponder.

Hi poison
Been readin this post for a while, did you drove the S4 to test drive all the S2k? if yes then i'm sure you can't feel any engine torque in all of them :p
I had a S4 and it was totaled, and now i have a 93 nsx. S2k was on my list but it just doesn't have the torque that nsx has. to be honest, I think the nsx is almost as fast as my chipped S4. and it handles almost same as my S4 with stasis track sport coilover.
anyway, goodluck on your search. :)

Good luck with your decision Poison. One thing to keep in mind is that when your searching for your NSX, its probably going to take you some time finding the right model, year, and color. Its not as simple as finding an S2k but well worth the wait. Patience is virtue. I personally searched over a year and half before I found mine and it was not the color of choice. However, the condition, year, and mods made up for the color. Don't settle for anything less then what you really WANT! Good luck again with your search!

3.2L NSX vs 2.0L S2k comparison

HERE

After reading this, along with the s2ki thread, I have come to this conclusion.

I think I will wait for the release of the 2004/05 NSX before I consider a used NSX. The market is still strong for these great cars as it should be, but I believe the introduction of a replacement may cause slightly higher depreciation on the older NSX models. Maybe by then I can afford a newer NSX-T. If I had known I was going to own 2 cars when I bought my subaru impreza wrx, I probably would have went for an NSX I saw on the market at the time. Now that I'm reading (on s2ki) that insurance is lower on the NSX than the S2000, there's even more of a reason to consider the acura.:D

wrxrob said:

I think I will wait for the release of the 2004/05 NSX before I consider a used NSX. The market is still strong for these great cars as it should be, but I believe the introduction of a replacement may cause slightly higher depreciation on the older NSX models. Maybe by then I can afford a newer NSX-T.
I sure hope you are right:) One my reasons above for choosing the NSX over the S2k and other cars was if not now than when? I didn't want to be wondering what it could have been like. The longer you wait, the less sense it would make to buy a used NSX and you may never own one. What if the new NSX cost upwards of $100K? It may or may not affect the current NSX used car values much at all. Maybe the new NSX will never come and they decide to drop the NSX all together. I don't think that will happen, but you never know until the actual car comes out. You know, maybe I could have saved the money I spent on my NSX, continued to save and bought the new HSC/NSX. But in the meantime I would never have gotten to experience the NSX ownership right now. The potintial $10K or even god forbid $20K in resale value I may loose on my NSX is still worth NSX ownership right now. I'm having a blast with it, I just started modding it to my taste and will love every minute of it until I either sell it, trade it in, or it falls apart:D For me, it was a risk I just had to take.

wrxrob said:

I think I will wait for the release of the 2004/05 NSX before I consider a used NSX. The market is still strong for these great cars as it should be, but I believe the introduction of a replacement may cause slightly higher depreciation on the older NSX models. Maybe by then I can afford a newer NSX-T. If I had known I was going to own 2 cars when I bought my subaru impreza wrx, I probably would have went for an NSX I saw on the market at the time. Now that I'm reading (on s2ki) that insurance is lower on the NSX than the S2000, there's even more of a reason to consider the acura.:D

Sure, just like when the 348 came out and the price of a 328 plummeted down to 15K.:rolleyes:

but isnt the price of 328 and 348 now about the same?

I really want to buy NA2 Type R, but HSC release is not far away I think, and from what I've seen before, NA1 Type R is slower than NA2 Type S (I think), so HSC might be a better car than BA2 Type R... anyway, meanwhile I will just enjoy the current NSX :)

CRX B16B VTEC said:
but isnt the price of 328 and 348 now about the same?

I really want to buy NA2 Type R, but HSC release is not far away I think, and from what I've seen before, NA1 Type R is slower than NA2 Type S (I think), so HSC might be a better car than BA2 Type R... anyway, meanwhile I will just enjoy the current NSX :)

IMO the NSX price will bottom out around 25-30k and for a well kept car the price may even go up like an older vette. The Pantera has similar build numbers try and find one of those for under 25k in good condition. The idea that a well kept NSX will someday be priced below 25k is ludicrous.

A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX... This guy is mean. :(

S2K Forum

Originally posted by steve c
A 13 year old car with no warranty that struggles to run 13's and chews through tires ....

Much like the boxster is to the 911, the only folks who buy the older pre 3.2 liter NSX's are folks who need lots of attention and can't afford the later and faster version.

Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

ss5153 said:

S2K Forum

A 13 year old car with no warranty that struggles to run 13's and chews through tires ....

Much like the boxster is to the 911, the only folks who buy the older pre 3.2 liter NSX's are folks who need lots of attention and can't afford the later and faster version.

LMAO!!!!! :D IMO buying a S2000 is like the boxster is to 911, the only folks who buy the S2000 are the folks who need lots of attention and can't afford the NSX and the maintence of NSX.

This guy need to chill out....:cool:

Re: You really should test drive the NSX first!

ss5153 said:
you really have to rev the engine up to 9,000 RPM to feel the VTEC.
VTEC in the S2000 is around 6000 rpm. The only thing you'll feel at 9000 is the fuel cut-off.

:rolleyes:

Re: Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

polar said:
LMAO!!!!! :D IMO buying a S2000 is like the boxster is to 911, the only folks who buy the S2000 are the folks who need lots of attention and can't afford the NSX and the maintence of NSX.

This guy need to chill out....:cool:

I thought the used NSX vs new S2000 argument were comparing similarly priced cars.

So if you can afford to buy a new S2000 ($33K MSRP) you can afford to buy a used NSX at that same price point. However, I imagine some people might, myself included, have some difficulty getting a loan for a 10-13 year old car.

Also, what is the average cost of maintenance per year on a used NSX? $1000? $2000? I also believe the majority of people who can afford to buy a $30K+ car can afford to spend a grand or two a year to maintain it.

I believe very few S2000 OR NSX owners purchased their car for attention when so little of the general public actually know and appreciate either car.

Someone mentioned that you can get a Ferrari 328 for 15k. Sure, but its going to be pretty ratty and falling apart.

An excellent condition final year 89 Ferrari 328 GTS will go for around $50k. A 348 GTS will be slightly more, but the 328s hold there value better. I've checked out 328s and its not a cheap as everyone thinks they are.

NSX maintenance is pretty cheap. $2000 sounds more like a major 105k service at a dealership.

If your just doing oil changes, then its under $40 if you use synthetic oil ($24 max for the quarts of oil and $8-10 for the filter). If you take it to a dealership, they'll probably charge you double.

I would have to agree that few NSX owners purchase their cars for attention. 95% of the time I only drive in the country on roads where there are less than a handful of cars. The other 5% of the time is getting to those roads. I could really care less if anyone sees me on the road. I bought it because its a great driver's car.

If you want attention, just turn up your stereo really loud. I've seen that in a lot of smaller compact cars and Caddy Escalades with tinted windows and chrome spinners on their wheels. :)

Parts Availability

I hear what everyone saying that maintenance is not a big i$$ue, but what about finding the parts once something does happen?

With the low production numbers, I imagine this would be the biggest obstacle not $$ in getting the NSX up and running again.

Comments?

Re: Parts Availability

Poison_S said:
I hear what everyone saying that maintenance is not a big i$$ue, but what about finding the parts once something does happen?

With the low production numbers, I imagine this would be the biggest obstacle not $$ in getting the NSX up and running again.

Comments?

It's not an obstacle at all. Get NSXCA membership for $40/year and get ALL your parts through Niello Acura in Sacramento or other vendors of NSX prime. Niello is the most popular one though because they give you 30% OFF EVERYTHING. Your membership fee basically pays for itself with your first parts purchase.

wctsao said:
Someone mentioned that you can get a Ferrari 328 for 15k. Sure, but its going to be pretty ratty and falling apart.

An excellent condition final year 89 Ferrari 328 GTS will go for around $50k. A 348 GTS will be slightly more, but the 328s hold there value better. I've checked out 328s and its not a cheap as everyone thinks they are.

NSX maintenance is pretty cheap. $2000 sounds more like a major 105k service at a dealership.

If your just doing oil changes, then its under $40 if you use synthetic oil ($24 max for the quarts of oil and $8-10 for the filter). If you take it to a dealership, they'll probably charge you double.

I would have to agree that few NSX owners purchase their cars for attention. 95% of the time I only drive in the country on roads where there are less than a handful of cars. The other 5% of the time is getting to those roads. I could really care less if anyone sees me on the road. I bought it because its a great driver's car.

If you want attention, just turn up your stereo really loud. I've seen that in a lot of smaller compact cars and Caddy Escalades with tinted windows and chrome spinners on their wheels. :)

I believe he was being sarcastic about the $15k thing.

Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

ss5153 said:

S2K Forum

steve c is a frequent poster in s2ki. He never has anything good to say about the NSX and is often quite hostile. He seems to have some type of "grudge" against the car. I wouldn't listen much to what he says.

Re: Re: A post regarding purchasing a used 3.0 NSX...

SCS2k said:
steve c is a frequent poster in s2ki. He never has anything good to say about the NSX and is often quite hostile. He seems to have some type of "grudge" against the car. I wouldn't listen much to what he says.

If you noticed I also posted in that topic under the same username I use here. I was not trying to say the NSX was better than some of those other cars just it isn't your everyday used car. I was trying to be objective but it appears most people who don't own an NSX don't understand that we were looking for something more than just 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Take a look at the other S2Ki post about if an NSX is worth the price. I'm no longer posting in the topic either as many of them can't seem to accept anything other than 1/4 mile times as the end all to sports cars. I feel it was a mistake for me to talk about the NSX even if it was only lighthearted from my point of view. Like I tell my friends, the NSX is the car everyone loves to hate:D Sometimes I think they believe NSX owners never heard of those other cars and we all should be shocked to hear that newer cars are matching or beating its performance for less. They don't seem to grasp the fact that many of us have looked into those other cars and the Corvette and still choose the NSX because it was the right car for us. Anyway, I hope nobody posts anymore on those topics so it can die and get burried:p

I don't think you'll ever find a car that outdoes the S2000 in every single category.

According to this comment on the other forum it is the best car in the world! What a surprise. They say this forum is biased!

The nsx is not the best car in the world or the fastest, or the newest. For my personal taste it cannot be beat, so it's right for me. (see not 'everyone' on prime is biased, but i wouldnt be here if i didn't like the car)

I dont like convertibles, i dont like digital readouts, i want a honda, i like coupes, i'm into the 'import scene', i wanted a mid engined car, whats left to choose!

S2000 is a cool car (especially that start button!), if it tickles your fancy, does what you want, get it!

Back