Porsche owner thinking about an NSX

TURBO2GO said:
I am telling you... cost of ownership on the NSX is lower than the 996T. I know this for a fact. Also I have seen several publications stating the NSX to be the LOWEST depreciating sports car in that class (which includes the 996). The porsches are very good but the rarity, looks and reliability of the NSX makes it take the top spot.

All I know is that I took a 10k hit after only 6months of ownership. Also those publications most likely included the older 91-94 nsx's which do in fact retain their resale value very well. Unfortunately, that cant be said for the newer NSX's

NsSeX said:
All I know is that I took a 10k hit after only 6months of ownership.

You said it was a trade in right? Dealers tend to go for book value on a trade in, which the NSX doesn't reflect in the real market.

Club411 said:
black or red

all other colors are ok

how about an 02 in red/tan, acura certified with 10k miles?

Club411 said:
How much ???

Ah, the $64,000 dollar question:biggrin: PM ME for details.

Hi,
I am also a fellow Porsche owner. I have owned 4 Carreras and currently am still keeping a 1989 Cab. I have always wanted a 928 for past 20 years. However, every time I came so so close about buying one, some how I would bumped into a 911 that I liked and bought instead. The NSX has an interior that came straight out of a 928. The build quality and reliability are better with the NSX. One thing that struck me with the NSX is that it makes me feel like a better driver, a better looking driver, a more proud owner, and a member of a circle of friends. In my last 18 years of Porsche ownership, I never felt connected with other Porsche drivers and I never felt very comfortable with driving it fast. I have not driven my Cab for the past 2 years and that tells you something. I suppose the 996/997 are much better cars than my 901 but I have not wanted the newer Porsches since I bought my first NSX in 1998. I have had 3 NSXs since. There is just something about the NSX that totally keeps me from going back to Porsche. My advice is to get a 1997 or 1998 NSX which has all the bells and whistles of the latest NSX and they are very reasonably priced and they really keep their values.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
Hi,
I am also a fellow Porsche owner. I have owned 4 Carreras and currently am still keeping a 1989 Cab. I have always wanted a 928 for past 20 years. However, every time I came so so close about buying one, some how I would bumped into a 911 that I liked and bought instead. The NSX has an interior that came straight out of a 928. The build quality and reliability are better with the NSX. One thing that struck me with the NSX is that it makes me feel like a better driver, a better looking driver, a more proud owner, and a member of a circle of friends. In my last 18 years of Porsche ownership, I never felt connected with other Porsche drivers and I never felt very comfortable with driving it fast. I have not driven my Cab for the past 2 years and that tells you something. I suppose the 996/997 are much better cars than my 901 but I have not wanted the newer Porsches since I bought my first NSX in 1998. I have had 3 NSXs since. There is just something about the NSX that totally keeps me from going back to Porsche. My advice is to get a 1997 or 1998 NSX which has all the bells and whistles of the latest NSX and they are very reasonably priced and they really keep their values.
Steve

Steve, dead on, on the interior of the NSX/928, I didn't want to say it.. I didn't want to get shot.:smile:

len3.8 said:
Steve, dead on, on the interior of the NSX/928, I didn't want to say it.. I didn't want to get shot.:smile:
Len,
Actually, one of the biggest reasons that I love the NSX so much is the 928 inspired interior. I remember the first time I drove a 928 back in 1983, I was TOTALLY blown away by how beautiful the full leather interior was and how advanced the car was. The 928 was simply the epitome of the Porsche ideas of style, sophistication, and performance. As good as the NSX is, I still think the 928 was just the most sophisticated car ever built. Its impact on automotive world was inmeasurable but was also extremely unrecognized. The biggest problem with the 928 was the choice of materials. The car was a engineering marvel down to the most minute details. Back in 1980s if one ever had a privilege to drive a European 928s 5 speed, he would know how incredible and precise the shifter was. However, the 928 is really a nightmare to upkeep. As much as I adore them, everything in the car dissolves with age. It is almost impossible to find one without significant warpage/cracking inside. The NSX had such a wonderful car to borrow ideas from and get to improve the shortcomings. The NSX is actually a fix for my 928 void. The newer Porsches' interiors are jokes. They could have been borrowed from any car.
Cheers,
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
Len,
Actually, one of the biggest reasons that I love the NSX so much is the 928 inspired interior. I remember the first time I drove a 928 back in 1983, I was TOTALLY blown away by how beautiful the full leather interior was and how advanced the car was. The 928 was simply the epitome of the Porsche ideas of style, sophistication, and performance. As good as the NSX is, I still think the 928 was just the most sophisticated car ever built. Its impact on automotive world was inmeasurable but was also extremely unrecognized. The biggest problem with the 928 was the choice of materials. The car was a engineering marvel down to the most minute details. Back in 1980s if one ever had a privilege to drive a European 928s 5 speed, he would know how incredible and precise the shifter was. However, the 928 is really a nightmare to upkeep. As much as I adore them, everything in the car dissolves with age. It is almost impossible to find one without significant warpage/cracking inside. The NSX had such a wonderful car to borrow ideas from and get to improve the shortcomings. The NSX is actually a fix for my 928 void. The newer Porsches' interiors are jokes. They could have been borrowed from any car.
Cheers,
Steve

I agree with everything you said, will also add that the electronics were overly complicated.
I have had 3, the S4 and 2 GTs, The S4 was a nightmare at first, but after fixing all of the negligence it was rock solid... The leather trimmed cars do warp like crazy, My 87 was all leather trimmed, but I kept up with the treatment of the leather.
The GTs have all been maintained to the hilt, everything on time and done with great mechanics..
I like getting in the 928 after driving the NSX, it's a nice combo, and if I never get another sports car, I would be fine with both of them in my garage.
I have been treated well by mine, My wife loves the 928 more than the NSX, she hates getting in and out of the NSX.

Club41,

Go for the NSX. Don't let an inexperienced dealer salesman turn you off to this outstanding car.

Have you bought one yet?

NsSeX said:
All I know is that I took a 10k hit after only 6months of ownership. Also those publications most likely included the older 91-94 nsx's which do in fact retain their resale value very well. Unfortunately, that cant be said for the newer NSX's

If you had sold the car, instead of trading it in, it may have taken some time, but I imagine you would have lost alot less $$, am i correct?

rickysals said:
If you had sold the car, instead of trading it in, it may have taken some time, but I imagine you would have lost alot less $$, am i correct?

If he did that, then the dealer who took in the trade wouldn't have made a ton of money on the deal. He lost, the dealer won.

TURBO2GO said:
4) High residual. The NSX is a lowest depreciating sports car you can buy.

I agree with everything else you said but a mint, low mileage 97-98 Supra sells for a few thousand less that it did brand new. In some cases, even more with extremely low mileage (>10,000).

You can't go wrong with either the Porsche or the NSX but I think the NSX is more "extreme". Very agressive looks will turn more heads ;) I too looked at 1999-2000 911 C2's before deciding on the NSX. Performance-wise, they're very similar. Similar weight, similar power and both are very balanced. Since performance was so similar, I decided on looks. IMO the 911 just doesn't age too well. It will look old even after a few years where the NSX seems ageless.

ANYTIME said:
If he did that, then the dealer who took in the trade wouldn't have made a ton of money on the deal. He lost, the dealer won.

I understand due to the trade in, I wasn't able to recieve as much $ as i could of. I did find out how much I could receive for my nsx via private sale, and the price was roughly 60-63k. Not very good imo. I purchased my 996tt certified for only 74k due to "repeat customer" status, and I could turn around and sell it for about 80k today.

NsSeX said:
I understand due to the trade in, I wasn't able to recieve as much $ as i could of. I did find out how much I could receive for my nsx via private sale, and the price was roughly 60-63k. Not very good imo. I purchased my 996tt certified for only 74k due to "repeat customer" status, and I could turn around and sell it for about 80k today.

You haven't even told us what you paid for your NSX originaly. I still am not sure what year it was, how many miles you put on it, etc.

6 months of ownership really doesn't mean anything, its just too short to measure depreciation of a vehicle. In a cse of 6 months of ownership it really is a lot more dependent on what you bought for and what you sold for.. how good a deal you made. Its just not representative of "depreciation".

Last but not least, your case is just one of many. If this was a trend, then yes... maybe... but the facts are there. The NSX is a very low depreciating sports car, lowest cost of ownership in its class.

I feel bad you did not get a good trade in value, :frown: but honestly I don't think you can attribute your particular deal to the car itself.

Vandetta said:
I agree with everything else you said but a mint, low mileage 97-98 Supra sells for a few thousand less that it did brand new. In some cases, even more with extremely low mileage (>10,000).

Highest residual in its class is what I meant to say. Hey some may consider a Civic SI a sports car, and in that case then it surely has less depreciation than an $89,900 NSX.

The Supra is not in the same class as the NSX. In its class, the NSX has been #1 for years.

TURBO2GO said:
You haven't even told us what you paid for your NSX originaly. I still am not sure what year it was, how many miles you put on it, etc.

6 months of ownership really doesn't mean anything, its just too short to measure depreciation of a vehicle. In a cse of 6 months of ownership it really is a lot more dependent on what you bought for and what you sold for.. how good a deal you made. Its just not representative of "depreciation".

Last but not least, your case is just one of many. If this was a trend, then yes... maybe... but the facts are there. The NSX is a very low depreciating sports car, lowest cost of ownership in its class.

I feel bad you did not get a good trade in value, :frown: but honestly I don't think you can attribute your particular deal to the car itself.

I'm not the only owner to get burned on the NSX's resale value. I know one member on prime sold/traded his/her 05 nsx for a 996 gt2 awhile ago and only recieved 65k on the NSX. When you talk about the resale value of a 91-94 NSX, sure the resale value isn't going to depreciate due the fact that prices for 91-94 NSX's have stabilzed. Not very true for the newer NSX's especially the 02+. Also there are not as many potential NSX(newer) buyers when compared to Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc... I'm not saying that the NSX has horrible resale value like masseratti. Far from it. All I'm saying, is that in my personal experience, the NSX hasn't had the "greatest" resale value. I took a pretty big hit on my 99 and 03 NSX.

As for lowest cost of ownership, I can't really agree with you either. I think that the ownership costs of the NSX is just as or more expensive than your "normal" high end automobile. I believe that the insurance cost for the NSX is ranked either #2 or #3 most expensive in america. And it's not as if the maintaince costs are cheap either-if you take your car to the stealership.

Again, this is just all my opinion.

NsSeX said:
I purchased my 996tt certified for only 74k due to "repeat customer" status, and I could turn around and sell it for about 80k today.

To who? Probably not to the dealership. Apples and Oranges....you can't compare what a dealership will give you to true depreciation. They offered you less for your car and made you feel better by lowering the price of the 911. It all comes out to the same in the end.

I think we're getting off topic:biggrin:

Forgetting all this resale crap, If you want a enjoyable car, I personally don't think that there are many other cars in the NSX's price rang, that can give the the amount of feedback that the NSX offers. Though the car lacks power(imo) the car is really fun to drive and always without fail managed to put a smile on my face-except when my brother blew my doors off:biggrin:

My main grip about the NSX and the reason why I jumped to Porsche was the lack of power and braking. Again this is just my personal opinion, but the NSX sorely lacks power and the brakes- while not bad, are not excellant. I considered the costs to "mod" the NSX to my liking and came up with a ball park figure of atleast $26k.

(rough estimate)
Comptech Supercharger(low boost): $10k installed
Suspension: $2k
Rims + tires: $4-5K
Headers: $1,300
exhaust: $1-4K
BBK: $8k

Or: buy 996tt
spend about $15-20k on turbo's/I/H/E and have a mid-high 11's car and go hunt Z06's:biggrin:

DrVolkl said:
To who? Probably not to the dealership. Apples and Oranges....you can't compare what a dealership will give you to true depreciation. They offered you less for your car and made you feel better by lowering the price of the 911. It all comes out to the same in the end.

The dealership actually took a 2k hit on the NSX due to the local acura shop backing out on their agreement to purchase the car. All in all I recieved about $59k for my trade in that included a $4k trade-in tax credit. As for the 911, the car was a local trade in that they bought wholesale for $68K and spent 1400 on new tires, 2k on Porsche used car certification, and another 1k detailing and fixing some small cosmetic issues (scratches + few paint chips).

As for who I could sell my car to, private party is a 80k sale easily. Dealer trade in is going to remain anywhere from $68k-70.:wink:

NsSeX said:
As for who I could sell my car to, private party is a 80k sale easily. Dealer trade in is going to remain anywhere from $68k-70.:wink:

You must have either an '02 with really low miles or same year X50.

MoreRPMs said:
You must have either an '02 with really low miles or same year X50.

My turbo is actually a 01 with/ had only 21000. Manheim report showed same year 996tt's (with about the same mileage) wholesale for an average of 70K the week before I finalized the deal on my car.:wink:

That car would sell for $80K private, even with '07 TT on sale next month for $123K? I'd dump it now, before it tanks....and soon. :wink:

Back