Porsche introduces a Hybrid 911 GTS

Interesting read on the new Porsche 911 GTS. The performance of the GTS is slightly below that of our 2017-2022 NSX. Base price of the GTS is $168k. You know that options will take that up to just below $200k. Our cars while getting long on the tooth are still ahead of their time and great.
https://www.autoblog.com/2024/05/28/2025-porsche-911-preview/

Base price of the GTS is $168k. You know that options will take that up to just below $200k.
Based on my experience pricing out Porsches, options will/can take that up to $300k. Easily $225k with basic stuff that most people would want. I love how much you can customize a Porsche, but the upcharges are crazy.

The options list exists because customers want it (and it's really good for profits).
We all know one of the major F Ups from Honda with Gen 2 was the limp biscuit customization opportunity.
I like eyeglasses and one of the designers I am into is a guy named Jacques Marie Mage.
He is a Frenchman and has his studio in LA and is into Shelby Cobras.
Getting back on point, in an interview he said his dad had a 911 and it was a big deal to owners to not have their car look like anyone else's Porsche.

While I’d like an update, especially the touchscreen, audio, and battery, it is quite satisfying to see P deliver inferior performance for high dollar nearly 10 years late. Probably with a rougher ride too. But livelier handling and steering feedback, and a backseat…hmmm choices

The options list exists because customers want it (and it's really good for profits).
We all know one of the major F Ups from Honda with Gen 2 was the limp biscuit customization opportunity.

If Honda had provided a huge palette of upcharge options (a la Porsche) then the numerous NC1 critics would have had a field day with that! They'd have been telling us how the most heavily optioned NC1 costs a whopping $300,000 and how only an idiot would pay that much for a product bearing the Acura badge.

Perhaps it would have worked out better for Honda if they had provided a lower base price (e.g. $100,000) for the car combined with a more extensive list of options that could bring the car up to a price of $200,000. This what GM did with the C8 and it proved to be a huge boon to their marketing efforts. The press became fixated on how the C8 cost only $59,000 and thus is an "amazing bargan". (Never mind that almost nobody bought the $59,000 base C8). Yet for the NC1 they became fixed on how it cost $200,000 and was thus "overpriced".

Getting back on point, in an interview he said his dad had a 911 and it was a big deal to owners to not have their car look like anyone else's Porsche.

Short of buying something special and rare like a GT3 RS, the 911 is such a ubiquitous and plain looking car that I think Porsche's extensive customization options are necessary in order to help make the car feel more special to buyers. The NC1 is so rare and striking looking that I think it will always fundamentally feel more special than any 911.

While I’d like an update, especially the touchscreen, audio, and battery, it is quite satisfying to see P deliver inferior performance for high dollar nearly 10 years late. Probably with a rougher ride too. But livelier handling and steering feedback, and a backseat…hmmm choices

The hybrid model of the 911 no longer has a back seat! They eliminated the back seat in order to help offset some of the weight that was introduced by the adding the hybrid components. Although supposedly you'll be able to pay extra to get the rear seats added back.

Also, I don't think you can compare the 911 GTS Hybrid to the NC1. The 911 Hybrid has no AWD, no torque vectoring, and no EV only mode. The cheapest car available that has similar technology to the NC1 with all the aforementioned features is the $600,000 Ferrari SF90.

I encourage everyone to go watch Chris Harris's Top Gear video review of the Honda NSX followed by his review of the Ferrari SF90. He actually found the technolgy in the NC1 to be suprisingly fun to drive, but similar techonlogy (i.e. 3 electric motors) in the SF90 was not so fun to drive.

Porsche has built their customization list over time.
I am not saying Honda should have done a copy/paste to the Porsche list.
I am saying that the customization list for the NSX was no where near enough, limited color palette, limited interior colors, pretty much no stitching options. When I ordered my car, the app showed brown stitching on the dash, all the cars got white at that time. No seat belt color options, no vert or targa, no CF seats, no power folding mirrors, etc..
We have been through this multiple times.

Back to the thread, the OP shared the story on the Porsche 911 Hybrid, just fun to see how they are doing it, good for them and their customers. It wasn't a gee their product is crap and we have the only good car on the street.

Agreed. Honda's options list was far too limited. Even the mass produced C8 provides a lot more options!

And I believe they may have initially held back some of the often requested interior options (e.g. contrast stitching, colored seat belts) so they would have something new they could provide when they later refreshed the car. Note how 2022 refresh bears a lot of similarity to the 2002-2005 refresh-- i.e. interior is the same but with trivial changes such as contrast stitching. From Honda's point of view it provides a very inexpensive way to lightly refresh things.

The GTS Hybrid doesn't appear to technically break any real new ground except for one area: The electric motor used to spin up the turbo. It's sounds fascinating. Why has nobody attempted to do this before and what are the pros/cons of this approach? Other hybrid cars like the NC1, Artura and 296 manage to avoid having noticeable turbo lag without this, so is this a turbo e-motor a game changer or just a minor enhancement used to optimize performance a bit more?

It will be interesting to see how much the eTurbo proliferates.
Audi has it so the VW family already has some experience with it
MB has it as well
Makes sense for Hybrids where you have a bunch of electricity to play with
Where I am looking for big news from Porsche is when they access the Rimac tech they got when bringing them into the fold through the Bugatti deal, maybe for the next gen of 911

Porsche is like Apple. They dont do it first, but they will do it best. With emphasis on PR and profit.
Betting Journalists will be divided.

The modern 911 just don’t do it for me anymore. They are so big after 997, not a true drivers car, but more like a luxury handbag, even the GT3…PS, you can’t use 5/10 of that car on the road. After few different models I sold them all and kept my modest 79 911sc. Still one of the best 911 so far to live with.

Back