Poll: What Kind of Oil Do You Use?

What kind of oil do you most often use in your NSX?

• 10W30 Mobil 1

Votes: 195 64.6%
  • 10W30 Premium Synthetic (Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc)

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • 10W30 Other Brand 100 Percent Synthetic

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 10W30 Synthetic Blend

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 10W30 Conventional Oil

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Other Viscosity Mobil 1

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Other Viscosity Premium Synthetic (Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc)

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other Viscosity Other Brand 100 Percent Synthetic

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Other Viscosity Synthetic Blend

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Other Viscosity Conventional Oil

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
I guess I am the only one so far that uses Valvoline 10/30 Full Syn. I buy it on sale for .99 cents(reg. $6.99qt) and use a Honda filter.

The way I look at it is that the manufacturer recommends an oil which includes an API service class and a grade (viscosity). Oils marked that meet that specification will work fine.

Not all oils will meet or exceed these specs. Some oils are not made for automotive use (airplane engine oil for example) and not all oils will have the correct viscosity. Oils that don't meet the specs can and HAVE caused engine failures.

We pretty much know that the popular synthetic oils can exceed the capabilities of the recommended dino oil. The question is, do the improved performance characteristics help us in any way? Perhaps you believe that Mobil-1 is better because its viscosity break down point is 300F (or whatever). What if some other oil was 400F... would that be even better? Put another way, what is the highest temp the oil ever sees? Does getting oil that works above that temperature help? Honda says 10w30 dino oil is good enough and I don't have any evidence that the oil ever sees temps above its range.

Many people want "a little better". Practically speaking, I'm not sure there is any evidence that higher rated oils improve engine performance or reliability, even in extreme use cases. (Note that reducing viscosity is not "higher rated".)

All this "oil X works great" stuff is just opinion but not based on any analysis. Sure, "oil x" didn't break stuff but neither does dino oil.

Don't take this the wrong way. All I'm saying is that you can sleep well at night with the recommended conventional oil as I don't believe there are any (stock engine) use cases where that oil isn't sufficient. If there was, Honda would change either the engine oil system or the oil recommendation.

Back