Poll: What Kind of Oil Do You Use?

What kind of oil do you most often use in your NSX?

• 10W30 Mobil 1

Votes: 195 64.6%
  • 10W30 Premium Synthetic (Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc)

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • 10W30 Other Brand 100 Percent Synthetic

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 10W30 Synthetic Blend

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 10W30 Conventional Oil

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Other Viscosity Mobil 1

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Other Viscosity Premium Synthetic (Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc)

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other Viscosity Other Brand 100 Percent Synthetic

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Other Viscosity Synthetic Blend

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Other Viscosity Conventional Oil

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
I've only used (Castrol) 10w30 standard motor oil in my NSX, per recommendations of Honda and my mechanic......

Is there any SCIENTIFIC evidence that Mobil 1 is better in the NSX than standard oil? I would tend to think that Honda would have recommended it, especially in the newer NSX's.

Just my $0.02

Dave

Show Me.....

Cambo said:
The same reason why people modify their cars, even though it's not recommended in the owners manual :rolleyes:

.....where the manual says that.

Well the proof of the pudding is in the tast. In this case, whats not left in the engine. Take a look at my photos of the inside of my engine,photo gallery, after 99,000 miles of Mobil 1 use. By the way you can get 5 Qts of 10w 30 Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $19.88. :smile: That's about $4 per quart. Bet you can't get all of that other fancy oil for that?:cool:

No one uses Honda brand 10W-30, even in newer cars? It's what the manual recommends, and what MCA Motorsports uses (one of FL's top NSX techs). The stuff is unbelievably clear and thin at room temp, although might not hold up as well on a track.

the manual says 10w30 so i run 10w30
my choise is casteroil full syn. 26.00 bucks for 5 quarts and i change my nsx oil more than my socks.

2003 my harley anniv. duece gets amsoil.
my 65gt350 get caster oil full syn. 347 stroker motor alum stage 4 heads 2 stage pro fogger kit. nothing like good ole rwtq and hand core horses dynoed at 632
2003 honda crv caster oil
2000 jeep grand cheroke caster oil
1997 toyota camey caster oil.

Ski_Banker said:
No one uses Honda brand 10W-30, even in newer cars?
Brands of conventional oil are not specified in this poll. It's possible that some of those using 10W30 conventional oil may be using Honda's brand.

Ski_Banker said:
It's what the manual recommends
The manual does not specify any particular brand.

Mobil 1 10W-30. I get mine from Costco...not all carry oil, but there are three Costcos between work and my new home and at least one of them usually has Mobil 1 in stock.

VAGABOND said:
Mobil 1 Synthetic. Walmart also carries a convenient 5qt jug, so less bottles to throw away.
Wal-Mart's prices are less than Costco and Sam's Club! Currently, Wal-Mart (at least, many of their Midwest locations) sells Mobil 1 5-quart jugs for $21.97 and individual quarts for $5.47. Also Pennzoil Platinum 5-quart jugs for $18.97 and individual quarts for $3.99. Costco and Sam's Club both sell cases of six quarts Mobil 1 for $27.99.

Agip synthetic oil is amazing stuff (used in Ferrari's). Highly recommended

the manual doesn't spec a brand, cause it doesn't matter. i think a better question is how OFTEN do you change your oil and/or filter.

every 3kmi, Castrol Syntec 10W30, honda filter

Just to aggregate the statistics from the 232 responses at this point in time:

Viscosity:
204 responses (88 percent) are using 10W30
28 responses (12 percent) are using other viscosity oil

Type of Oil:
194 responses (84 percent) are using full synthetic oil
- 167 (72 percent) Mobil 1
- 21 (9 percent) premium brands
- 6 (3 percent) other brands
8 responses (3 percent) are using synthetic blends
30 responses (13 percent) are using conventional oil