Poll: 1 R8 or 2 NSXs?

What would you rather have?

• Two NSXs

Votes: 71 55.0%
  • One Audi R8

Votes: 58 45.0%

• Total voters
Phoen$x, I am not making this up.....I saw a gold (yes, it looked like actual gold plated, not painted gold) R8 drive over I-10 at Ray Road this evening. It was following one of those custom $1m Provost Buses with some rapper's face plastered all over it. Probably loaded with a bunch of babes!

Dayum! I need to get to the east side more, that's where all you ballers are at! :D

Was it this one? I prefer chrome myself. Gold is so 90s. ;)

Chrome_R8_1_01.jpg

awesome post

This is actually a great thread!

I was in this dilemma last year; with specific cars in-mind: ie; 911, R8, GT-R, 430, Gallardo

From this list the GT-R was very quickly ruled-out because of the No Manual factor -
The GT-R is very Quick but..... AUTO - No thanks!

Gallardo and 430 -
Fantastic sound, great Gated Shifter but....... at the end of the day - (for me), it is not the cost of "buying"
but the actual cost of Ownership.

New 911 - This one I REALLY, REALLY considered. I have always liked the 911.
it's still no NSX however;
it's almost ..... too melancholy;

IDK.....I was disappointed in the new 911 :(
I've driven many 911's and IMHO - the Early - Mid 90's were the best "drivers-cars", best "feel" ect ect.

This new 911 is quick but...... IDK.........Boring to me.

R8 - (V8) - Great Car! Fun; almost NSX "Feel"
IMO the NSX still looks much more exotic. I may someday pull the trigger on an R8

I have stated on Prime a few times my "Love-Affair" with the NSX
it's Reliability is 2nd to none.

When I was car shopping last year, the owner of PPA was selling his '05, (Perfect), 2,881 mile RYP NSX.
I have Always wanted the Last year so I bought the NSX.

For those that have stated - "why would you own two"

Well...... I guess for me it's pretty simple - I think this is the best car ever made.
I have been blessed with the opportunity to drive many great exotics but at the end of the day, I Always go back
to the NSX - it's the perfect sports car.
Honestly - I have TRIED to get myself to own something different. I think the R8 is pretty Darn close.
Someday............... Maybe.

My .02

That car must be freaking heavy! What's the point in doing that to a sports car? Defeats the purpose to do that to a car intended for performance.

I guess it gets you more attention or something. Justin Bieber chromed his Fisker Karma and put some nasty LEDs on it. There's no accounting for taste.

Anyway, as of now 100 people have voted on the poll, and 2 NSXs beat out 1 R8 by a 10% margin (phew!). :smile:

honestly.... I felt very disconnected driving the R8. Felt much akin to a 997C4S (pretty much the worst 911) as far as experience. Sure it glides well and looks different but for less money I'd do a GT3. Special engine, chassis and trans... Great driving experience vs the R8. I'd keep one NSX and and a GT3;)

No, it was all gold plated (or gold chrome). It was quite a site!

Dayum! I need to get to the east side more, that's where all you ballers are at! :D

Was it this one? I prefer chrome myself. Gold is so 90s. ;)

Chrome_R8_1_01.jpg

Mitch, I think you're a lucky guy to have spent considerable miles in an R8. I have only sat in one, and I didn't like how high the dash is compared to the NSX. I would love to be able to drive one, but who would let me test drive one (I mean seriously test drive it) for me to properly evaluate it? The same applies to any expensive cars (Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo/etc.). So I can only choose based on specs, and more importantly price. There's no way I'm getting rid of my NSX, so this is more theoretical anyway. Before I found my NSX, I was getting frustrated and thinking about getting an R8, but there's no way I can afford an R8 and an NSX.

Yes, I am lucky for sure. That is one thing...I have been blessed to drive SOOO many hyper-exotics, and to literally live with them in day to day use (going to work, the store, a pizza run, etc), that I have been able to get a very real viewpoint of what the cars are all about. I can tell you for sure, that if you drive an R8 it will remind you of the NSX in many ways. It is such an enjoyable car to drive. The handling is fantastic, the powerband is pretty linear from my seat of the pants impression, and the car is easy to drive in heavy traffic. It really is a usable exotic. In a perfect world I would have both, and am sure that someday I will. It is that good.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I have tried to justify myself a R8, but it's not the car for blue jeans and a t-shirt. I feel is more for the skirt gendered or the metro-sexual.

For the money GT3, GT3rs, 997Turbo, 996GT2, 512TR, Testarossa, 328GTB, 308 dry sump, Gallardo, Superformance GT40 (way more fun than the Ford GT), early Diablo, F430 "cambio manuale", Cayman R, Boxster Spyder, 997GTS, 993TT, Countach, BB512, F355, 360 Modena, Lotus Exige, Race Car Replicas Porsche 917, Ferrari P4 or Lola T70 coupe... A recreation of a Porsche either 908 Coupe, 906 Carrera or 910. Those are some of my choices.

Someone mentioned the costs of the F430, well, I bought one new, a stick shift and had it for six years. Never broke down and I sold it with 22,000 miles, now at 25,000 miles is still on the original factory clutch which it's not that expensive to replace. The only thing was the headers and the dealer replaced them for free, once at 10k miles and again at 25k miles, if you go aftermarket then it would be a permanent solution, but if the dealer is picking up the bill then is a no brainer.

I will have to say that I was lucky to actually be in that situation where I had one R8 and two NSX's at the same time.
Given one or the other, I would go with the R8. It truly is an amazing car that has to be experienced.
I'm not sure what you would do with two NSX's, unless you plan to have one dedicated to the track. To be honest, I have barely driven my widebody NSX in years. That's probably why it still has less than 60k miles.
In the 7 years I've owned both, I still haven't been able to justify why. I think that's one of the biggest reasons why I plan to sell one of them.

If you have the opportunity, an ideal scenario is having one NSX and the R8.

Hey I'll be in San Jose next week. Would be cool if we could hook up for me to check out your R8. :)

Your cars are collecting dusts....we need to do something :)

I will have to say that I was lucky to actually be in that situation where I had one R8 and two NSX's at the same time.
Given one or the other, I would go with the R8. It truly is an amazing car that has to be experienced.
I'm not sure what you would do with two NSX's, unless you plan to have one dedicated to the track. To be honest, I have barely driven my widebody NSX in years. That's probably why it still has less than 60k miles.
In the 7 years I've owned both, I still haven't been able to justify why. I think that's one of the biggest reasons why I plan to sell one of them.

If you have the opportunity, an ideal scenario is having one NSX and the R8.

Hey I'll be in San Jose next week. Would be cool if we could hook up for me to check out your R8. :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I sold it a number of months ago after owning it for close to a year.
I ended up picking up a Gemballa GT2 shortly afterwards, so you're welcome to drive that if you wish.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I sold it a number of months ago after owning it for close to a year.
I ended up picking up a Gemballa GT2 shortly afterwards, so you're welcome to drive that if you wish.

Bummer!!! :frown:

Truth be told my schedule is pretty packed any ways so it is unlikely I'll have much time to meet up (was going to really try for the R8)... but maybe next time! Thanks for the offer!! :biggrin:

Your cars are collecting dusts....we need to do something :)

Hi Pooh,
I emailed you immediately after I got your message, but didn't hear back from you. I hope you're doing well.
Yes, they are. That's why I'm planning on selling the widebody. I've owned it for close to 14 years, but barely drive it. We should meet up soon. Let's take this offline via email so that we don't derail this thread.

Last edited:
The NSX is the most perfect car ever made. How can you go wrong with 2 of the most perfect cars ever made?? :biggrin:

I had (2) NSXs for several years. The problem becomes that you just end up driving one of them (your favorite for whatever specific reason), and the other one just sits there. That is what happened with me. I drove my '94 Grand Prix White, and my '91 Berlina Black just sat in the driveway taking up space. :(

I will make one concession to going back to having (2) NSXs again.

If I were to get one of my 'unicorns', I would buy these, and put them in a bubble:

1.) An all original 1991 NSX with under 1,000 miles.

2.) The 1993 Brooklands Green NSX that Amercian Honda made to showcase the Brooklands Green color to dealers, then gave to Comptech. A one off car like that should be collected and preserved.

3.) One of the (6) Sebring Silver/Ivory NSXs with the 5-speed manual transmission. (* I have been following one in particular for over 10 years trying to get the owner to sell it to me.)

Those cars would be preserved as showpiece cars to show later generations what these cars looked like new, and I would keep driving my 1994 Grand Prix White for everything else. :)

I had (2) NSXs for several years. The problem becomes that you just end up driving one of them (your favorite for whatever specific reason), and the other one just sits there. That is what happened with me. I drove my '94 Grand Prix White, and my '91 Berlina Black just sat in the driveway taking up space. :(

My sentiments exactly.

check your junk mail folder...i send it back the next day :) ok..i'll email you again. you still got my phone....yes?

Hi Pooh,
I emailed you immediately after I got your message, but didn't hear back from you. I hope you're doing well.
Yes, they are. That's why I'm planning on selling the widebody. I've owned it for close to 14 years, but barely drive it. We should meet up soon. Let's take this offline via email so that we don't derail this thread.

I'd go for 2 NSX but would it approach it differently from most I think ...

For a daily driver I would opt for an 02 Auto ... this would be kept bone stock and in as mint condition that daily use would offer

Then for special occasions I would keep my Magnum grey NA2 with its mild OEM mods for those trips into Europe, occasion track outings and other places of interest ...

Whilst I cant deny the R8 is a great car, it doesn't give me that special car feeling I get from the NSX

Now if I had the money the car I'm most interested in getting close to is the MP4-12C ... this car for me is the modern day replacement of everything the NSX brought to the market 20+yrs ago. How many times have we read that the launch reviews of the NSX being too easy, not challenging enough, etc with one of the only regular good comments being the noise. If thats not the new Macca to a tee I dont know what is.

A lower budget would see the 2015 NSX being a serious contender ....

Interesting Poll ...

I'd keep one NSX and the cash in investments.

Maybe do the Vegas track rentals to see which car besides the NSX you want in your stable.

I'd say a 458 or the MP4-12c if budget and maintenance weren't a factor

Last edited:
I will take the R8 barely drive it. Then sell it and come crawling back to an NSX lol. I rather take 1 Saleen S7 and 1 NSX :biggrin:.

Back