please vote: R wing or no R wing?

Type R or standard wing?

• Type R

Votes: 79 52.0%
  • Standard

Votes: 73 48.0%

• Total voters
I know a large number of members here have the type R rear wing on their car. To me, when I first saw it, it looked kind of... how do I say this gently... "aftermarket"... and I don't mean that in a flattering way. One of my favorite things about the NSX, was the way the taillights curved in and up at the outer ends, and went into the wing that was beautifuly integrated into the rest of the body.

But as I have been looking at it, its starting to grow on me. I am wondering what percentage of members like the R wing, and what percentage like the factory wing. I know some stuff is still "factory", like the R-GT scoop above the rear window, the front spoiler, etc... but if I did not know better, and I saw such an NSX, I would think the guy ordered some cheezy parts online.

The other thing I like about the NSX, is the LED 3rd brake light that goes all the way across. You lose this as well with the R wing.

When I make a body mod, I don't just think of how it looks to me, or to NSX enthusiasts, but to the average Joe. I think most would see the R wing as an aftermarket add-on. A little bit fast and furious to them perhaps.

Do you like the R wing or the stock look? please vote I am very curious about the results.

Thanks.

Last edited:
TURBO2GO said:
To me, when I first saw it, it looked kind of... how do I say this gently... "aftermarket"... and I don't mean that in a flattering way. One of my favorite things about the NSX, was the way the taillights curved in and up at the outer ends, and went into the wing that was beautifuly integrated into the rest of the body.
I know some stuff is factory, like the GT-R scoop above the rear window, the front spoiler, etc... but if I did not know better, and I saw such an NSX, I would think the guy ordered some cheezy parts online.

The other thing I like about the NSX, is the LED 3rd brake light that goes all the way across. You lose this as well with the R wing.

When I make a body mod, I don't just think of how it looks to me, or to NSX enthusiasts, but to the average Joe. I think most would see the R wing as an aftermarket add-on. A little bit fast and furious to them perhaps.
iagree.gif

It's an aggressive modification, to be sure, and it goes hand in hand with a vented hood. This said I like the look, but you have to understand it changes the entire feel of the car, it has more of an impact than simply changing the wing on a different car would, with a radically different 3 quarter view, profile, etc.

When I first bought my nsx the 'dreamsport' wing was popular - this wing looks like crap, and turned me off from the design, until I saw detailed picture of the OEM R. Now, nearly a year later, I have produced my own R wing, and have a production run of 10 of them being finished up as I type this; a correctly shaped R wing looks fantastic on the nsx, imo.

If you like it. Get it. If not, don't. Why the group input? You're not going to get any idea of "average joe's reaction" on NSX Prime.

That said, I've had the exact same thoughts as you. Didn't like at first. Has since grown on me. Don't see it in my future though.

Don't you lose rear visibility with it in place too?

Scorp - you gonna put one on the Daewoo? :)

Ski_Banker said:
If you like it. Get it. If not, don't. Why the group input? You're not going to get any idea of "average joe's reaction" on NSX Prime.

That said, I've had the exact same thoughts as you. Didn't like at first. Has since grown on me. Don't see it in my future though.

Not as much as you might think, I have had a few people sit in my car to look out the rear window with it installed, they were pleasantly suprised.

The middle element of the wing is reasonably flat, so visibility loss is minimal.

The wing is a functional piece, and like all other recent Type Rs, it is higher and more aggressive. The gap is fine for me, I actually like it (I'm a big fan of the F40), and it removed the 80/90's look - A light show. At the end of the day, it shoud be mated with the 02 spec valence, and if you add the diffuser, you will see why it is design that way. The diffuser really complete the package.

The cool thing is, DF and Procar both offer a way for people to show case CF on their car, it is very nice looking when mated with a black or white NSX.:wink:

Type-R
13449DSC00837.JPG

13449DSC00711-med.jpg

13449DSC00462-med.jpg

Standard
11959DSC00858-med.JPG

8325volcanicgdzilla-med.JPG

Ski_Banker said:

13449Rear_View.jpg

I have the R wing, and I bought it for a number of reasons. Looks, for sure. I also bought it because it's light and compliments my R hood. Honda created a tasteful and functional aero package for the NSX-R, and for me it's the perfect setup. I'm not into installing non-functional geegaws on my car. I track my car, and these mods do make a difference, especially paired together.

Where you draw the line between Fast and Furious and legitimate performance modifications is up to you. If someone thinks I'm Fast and Furious by simply looking at my car, then fine, I really don't care. That same person usually is a jaw-flapping bench racer who exhibits no credibility anyway.

Concerning rear visibility, it actually blocks the blinding lights from SUVs. At night, I actually think my rear vision is BETTER!!

Hi Dave,thats a very good question. I was thinking about doing the type-r spoiler also. I really like the way the oem spoiler looks. The lines are so clean. I would be afraid to mess that up. On the other hand, MATT 337 just put one on his Silverstone and it looks really good. I'm still undecided. Rob

No R-wing. They got it right the first time. :biggrin:

BUt is it easy to interchange the R and OEM wing and back again? THat might be a good way of changing it up when you feel like it.

The OEM wing looks best to me. The NSX-R wing is lighter but I'm a bit skeptical about how much downforce it actually produces.

The R wing looks like an afterthought. What I'm probably more surprised about is the fact that going to the R model, the engineering/design group didn't provide a separate style of rear fenders, to better integrate the R spoiler so it didn't look so Ricey. Ultimately if the fenders integrated better with the wing I wouldn't mind the higher spoiler. Even if it is trying to keep pace with the F40 and F50 F cars.... :tongue:

While I agree that the stock wong looks the best as far as streamlining the car, the Type "R" look gives a different personlized look. It tends to look better or not as good depending on the color scheme of the car. But variety is the spice of life, and since you pay the bills, all the matters should be if "you" like it or not regardless of what everone else thinks.

Armando

My car had the R wing on it when I bought it. The car is a White with black top, and a carbon fiber hood. The wing was also carbon fiber.

I sold the wing, and sought a stock white wing, I like it much better.

The Type R wing looks good, but not for me. Looking at the picture, out of the rear window from the cockpit, it appears to obstruct the view of the road behind. I like the idea if the rear fenders were adjusted to match the higher spoiler, that would be OK, but they didn't. As said before they did it right the first time. IMO.
Brad

32 votes and its 50/50... a dead heat... wow..

Matt337, do you have a pic of the R on your silverstone?

Dave

I will have more daytime pics of my car with the wing after this weekend at the track.

I have always loved this spoiler and was wary (thought it may look ricey) at first for it being CF (blackish) on silverstone. But it looks great. I have no 2nd thoughts about it now.

nsxsupra said:
I have the Downforce R wing/spoiler. I don't think I like the look better than the oem wing. I like it from some angles but not the rear view, the gap between the trunk and wing is too big. The OEM wing on the other hand I like the look from every angle.
Jason,

I thought the DF-R wing was identical to the OEM-R wing except for where the lines meet at the trunk lid. What else is different?

scorp965 said:
I was thinking something aluminum, with multiple elements, for the Daewoo :tongue:

Hawt ;)

To the topic at hand, I like the fact that the R wing is lighter but still prefer the OEM wing myself.... Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... So I would think it would depend on what you are ultimately looking for : weight reduction vs. look or both?? In any decision, the car is still gorgeous* :smile:

nsx1 said:
Jason,

I thought the DF-R wing was identical to the OEM-R wing except for where the lines meet at the trunk lid. What else is different?

Downforce make two versions. One is similar to Taitec, which does not go over the edge.
d_147.jpg

The second version is like the Type R, which goes over, but it is not as angular. The real deal has a sharper angle - See picture for detail.
d_155.jpg

wing_1.jpg

nsx1 said:
Quite frankly I have no idea about the difference, but Vance have point out the difference above.

I am remaining neutral and have not yet voted. The big opening I was talking about is between the spoiler and the trunk. My NSX is lowered by nearly 1.875" in the rear, so whenever I am standing from behind and looking looking down from 45degree angle, I see a big opening. Adding the 02+ trunk lid should help a lot. We all have something that we are really picky about:tongue: .

7.jpg

nsxsupra said:
Quite frankly I have no idea about the difference, but Vance have point out the difference above.

I am remaining neutral and have not yet voted. The big opening I was talking about is between the spoiler and the trunk. My NSX is lowered by nearly 1.875" in the rear, so whenever I am standing from behind and looking looking down from 45degree angle, I see a big opening. Adding the 02+ trunk lid should help a lot. We all have something that we are really picky about:tongue: .

7.jpg

Wow... that is one 'out-standingly' gorgeous NSX.... Good job!

Back