performance increase for automatic transmission

As stated by Lud, lowered redline and cam profile changes. The auto has a 7500 RPM redline as opposed to 8k and, as a result, makes less peak horsepower than the 5-speed.

I think no matter how you slice it, it appears that the auto tranny is very, very weak. Whether or not headers and exhaust will break it (I'd be awed if that were true), it can't be disputed that more significant changes probably would.

With so few autos in existance, I doubt we can ever really expect any kind of aftermarket.

spookyp said:
Was that pace car an auto?

Benz is insane, btw. It's amazing to me how many staggeringly fast cars they currently produce. I just wish I could get into 4000lb sedans, but I can't no matter how quick they are :(

All the Mercesdes pace cars are automatics. One was a 2 door hardtop convertible but it went by so fast I couldn't tell what model it was, SL or SLK.
I think they must have made the motor more powerful because I really am not exaggerating over how fast those cars were.

My NSX auto shifts at 7200 or so rpm and it has an electronic control to absorb some of the shift shock. Some sort of pause in the engine power that helps keep the tranny in one piece I guess.

Tony Montoya said:
My NSX auto shifts at 7200 or so rpm and it has an electronic control to absorb some of the shift shock. Some sort of pause in the engine power that helps keep the tranny in one piece I guess.
Was the engine cold at the time? All NSXs (manual and automatic transmission) do not permit revving past roughly 7100 RPM or so when the engine is cold, to prevent damage. Once the engine warms up, the redline is the normal 7500 (auto) or 8000 (manual).

As I can remember from my former '95 auto it has different shift points for the gears. The statement of Tony Montoya may be true for the warm engine too if he means the shifting from 1st to 2nd - that's at lower revs than into 3rd and 4th.

I've noticed that in the "shift tronic" mode, I can redline first gear if I choose to. It does seem to make some difference if you're trying to maximize acceleration to highway speeds to do that (max out first before shifting)...

Tony, I know the Benzees are auto, I was asking if the NSX pace car was auto... I noticed you mentioned it was "just a bit" faster than the S2000 through the curves and, if it was a manual, thats a kind of unfortunate surprise (Id have thought the NSX would have a more clear advantage over the S2000)

I looked in the FAQ and I couldn't find official or unofficial times for Auto vs Manual for the different years.

What are the 0-60 / Q-Mile times for Auto vs Manual 3.0 and Manual 3.2 L engines?

There is an old R&T that tests the auto. I can't find it.

I seem to recall though 0-60 5.9 and 1/4 close to 14.

I have no idea how fast a 97+ auto is. I would not expect much difference.

0-60 on the auto is a pretty consistent 5.7 seconds from 91-03 in a random sampling of tests.

This 5.7 figure is unfortunate in that it nearly always gets attributed to ALL NSX's despite the fact that the 3.0L 5-speeds were more like 5.2 seconds to 60 and, of course, the 3.2L is closer to 5 flat.

This is the page in the FAQ that provides some info:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/performancenums.htm

spookyp said:
I've noticed that in the "shift tronic" mode, I can redline first gear if I choose to. It does seem to make some difference if you're trying to maximize acceleration to highway speeds to do that (max out first before shifting)...

Tony, I know the Benzees are auto, I was asking if the NSX pace car was auto... I noticed you mentioned it was "just a bit" faster than the S2000 through the curves and, if it was a manual, thats a kind of unfortunate surprise (Id have thought the NSX would have a more clear advantage over the S2000)

The two turns of the S bend, turns 8and 9 of the Canadian GP are taken at 113kmph and 155kmph. The auto NSX would be just as fast throught the turns as a manual. Maybe the NSX had more left. The TSX lost control going too fast through the turns. We got a kick out of that as he went through the dirt. Then again so did the Jaguar and the Sauber race cars. The NSX was very solid going through the turn.

Ken, I don't do full throttle shifts with a cold engine. I don't think it hits 7500 rpm even on the 2-3 shift, maybe 7400 is the highest I've seen.

Couple of things.......

I have a 94 auto and have been abusing the living crap out of it for the last 2 1/2 years and 10K miles. The car has 75K on it now. Cantrell air intake, 3.2L Comptech headers on the 3.0L engine, and a lighter, louder exhaust. I do about 30 autox days a year and the occasional track day. I have stood on the brakes coming down from 2nd gear (doing the the auto version of heel-toe)and slammed it into 1st to rotate around a tight corner so many times I can't count.

And I have had not one problem with this transmission.

I think the tranny is a lot more bulletproof than folks are making it seem. FI is a different story of course but then again there's a guy out here with a SC auto that seems to be running just fine.

Someone mentioned dyno'ing an auto above. Has anyone else dyno'ed their auto? I had mine done after the addition of I/H/E but not before. I would love to see some numbers for RW HP and torque.

Yeah, I wish there were some aftermarket adds for the auto. But no.

And finally, I race against a couple of auto vettes. I guess all I can say is maybe bigger is better. V8s with any transmission put out more torque than V6s. But I am beating one of them, the other is a national champion so..... it may take longer to catch. I don't think the auto is major factor in my driving performance at my current skill level. But it will be down the road.

t

Here's a really silly question:

Why don't you guys like to drive the manual? Are you looking for F1 paddle shifters like on the Ferrari sports cars?

I would have prefered a manual, however my last car (Porsche 911 carerra) was a stick and my wife could never manage to drive it. It was decided that for those times where I needed her car and she needed to drive mine my next car needed to be an automatic. With 2 kids some concessions must be made as this is my every day driver

druby said:
I would have prefered a manual, however my last car (Porsche 911 carerra) was a stick and my wife could never manage to drive it. It was decided that for those times where I needed her car and she needed to drive mine my next car needed to be an automatic. With 2 kids some concessions must be made as this is my every day driver
I wonder, what the possibility is to buy an el-cheapo manual shifter car, and teach your wife to drive on that thing. Let her grind the clutch a few dozen times, stall the engine, etc, until she figures out how a manual works.

Then again, with 2 kids the NSX should be a 3rd car? :p

I mean, do you really want your wife to be driving an automatic with so much beefed up power? Does your wife know how to handle so much power? Even with auto's she can get into trouble with this massive power available...

Someone who is unable to learn how to drive a stick should not be behind the wheel of a performance car, especially with kids. I've skidded in sports cars with auto trannies, especially with a slightly wet street.

It is a third car to some extent. The Porsche had a back seat for when the kids were younger. My daughter is now 17 and she has a Honda Civic that can be used when I have to cart both of them if the wife is not around. As to teaching her to drive the manual you first have to get her to want to try to drive it, which she has maintained she has no interest in what so ever. I taught my daughter to drive the Porsche, my wife tried a few times and decided she had no desire. It then came down to an automatic or a new wife. The automatic was cheaper and much easier to deal with.

druby said:
It is a third car to some extent. The Porsche had a back seat for when the kids were younger. My daughter is now 17 and she has a Honda Civic that can be used when I have to cart both of them if the wife is not around. As to teaching her to drive the manual you first have to get her to want to try to drive it, which she has maintained she has no interest in what so ever. I taught my daughter to drive the Porsche, my wife tried a few times and decided she had no desire. It then came down to an automatic or a new wife. The automatic was cheaper and much easier to deal with.
I understand. That's why the woman in my life will never be behind the wheel of my sports car. Way too dangerous and intimidating for her and other drivers around her.

One thing we can all be thankful for is that we have women that let us get our toys and have fun. I know plenty of guys who aren't allowed to get the fun cars and have had to "grow up". Personally I'm happy to make some concessions to be my age with teenage kids and still have my toys and a wife that doesn't give me a problem about it.

druby said:
One thing we can all be thankful for is that we have women that let us get our toys and have fun. I know plenty of guys who aren't allowed to get the fun cars and have had to "grow up". Personally I'm happy to make some concessions to be my age with teenage kids and still have my toys and a wife that doesn't give me a problem about it.
LOL ain't that the truth. I'd never date a woman who wouldn't let me have my passion.

NSX_Dreamer said:
Here's a really silly question:

Why don't you guys like to drive the manual? Are you looking for F1 paddle shifters like on the Ferrari sports cars?

How can I eat my toast and drink my coffee if I have to shift gears in the morning?

Our 04 NSX is an auto transmission and it has the 4 speed sport shift mode on the side of the steering wheel. My Dad can usually get 55-60 mph out of first gear and then the car really leaps when it hits second! He is going to get a comptech cat back exhaust and their high flow air box and that is about it so I do not think there will be a problem with the trans.

He is going to go to Payne Tech. in Troy shortly to see what they have to say. But he can't wait.:D

nsxtasy said:
Hmmm... I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think it's true. Here's why.

What I am saying is that if they increase peak horsepower (which they usually do), they are likely to also increase peak torque.

Hmm... There will be more HP if you can shift the same max torque at a higher RPM.

So there is a way to get more HP safely assuming ( ? ) that torque doesn't damage transmission proportionally with RPM.

This is what Auraptor was trying to explain I guess...

Hi gang! It's been a long time !

I was so busy lately... Don't even have time to drive my NSX! :mad:

Re: NSX_Dreamer's interrogation of druby's reasons for owning an auto:

I really can't stand it when someone asks "why do you have an auto?" so they can start an argument, state crap thats really obvious (did you ever think maybe you can teach your wife to drive a manual? NO! WOW! I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!!) and then end on a particularly insulting note (thats why *I'd* NEVER be with a woman who wouldn't let me have MY passion!)

Put a few years on before you come to a group of grown men and tell them what your vision of the "right" criteria are for "finding a woman". Comments like that come off as a subtle insult against a man's wife. Maybe you didnt realize that (I give the benefit of the doubt one time).

Plus, the logic is flawed. The idea that the "NSX has too much power" for a woman and will "scare and intimidate" her is idiotic. A *person* (not a woman) doesn't need to know how to drive a manual to not be completely useless behind the wheel. A colleague of mine drives an SL55 AMG Mercedes. HELL of a lot more HP and TQ than the NSX will ever have. She's got no ability to drive a stick, but oddly enough, she's able to handle that big 500hp Benz with no problem and isn't careening off the road. It's called driving ability and maturity (something young guys who consider themselves stick jockeys often DON'T have) and men have no monopoly on it.

ekin95 said:
Our 04 NSX is an auto transmission and it has the 4 speed sport shift mode on the side of the steering wheel. My Dad can usually get 55-60 mph out of first gear and then the car really leaps when it hits second! He is going to get a comptech cat back exhaust and their high flow air box and that is about it so I do not think there will be a problem with the trans.

He is going to go to Payne Tech. in Troy shortly to see what they have to say. But he can't wait.:D

Cool... post an update how this turns out!

Tony Montoya said:
How can I eat my toast and drink my coffee if I have to shift gears in the morning?

Don't forget grabbing the phone and reading the paper! ;)

I am right there with you. I know how to drive a performance oriented car, but I drive an auto for 2 reasons. First reason is that I simply fell in love with my particular NSX with less than 20k on it for a 91 and auto or not....who cares it's a gorgeous car. Second reason is that I live in southern Calfornia which means TRAFFIC, so the convenience factor with an auto makes my drive much more comfortable.

Auto or not....chicks still flock to it! :D

Attachments

• aonnsx1.jpg
    aonnsx1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 539
Back