parking light

We're so busy showering our beloved NSX with compliments, we sometimes neglect to point out some of its idiotic engineering (I have the support of some AH people on that one). Try change a bulb on a parking light. IF you succeed in locating the mounting screw and change the light, try locating the hole again to screw it back on . GOOD LUCK !!

I thought that changing the headlight bulbs was about the damn hardest, pain in the ass thing I've ever done. Probably the hardest one of any car that I have ever had to change a bulb on! Came away pissed and with cuts all over my hands.
mad.gif

Really? Wow... we must have different cars!!! ;P The parking lights took no more than 10 minutes to change and the headlight bulbs... 5 minutes.

I agree with Darkcyd. The parking light design is one of the easiest I've dealt with. Did you refer to the service manual online here?

Are you guys serious? When I bought my NSX used the parking light was out. It took me less than 5 minutes to change BOTH the LEFT & RIGHT lights out.

Loosen screw, pull lamp back, twist and pull the light socket, pull light bulb, put new one on, wipe bulb clean, push and twist socket on, put assembly back in, tighten screw. Repeat!

Easy!

What screw ? Unless your front bumper is off, you're reaching 4-6 inches upward in the dark, thru a whole with a long Ph. screwdriver.locating the screw was im[possible for me. I can only imagine how even more difficuly it is to find the hole to put it back together. Am I missing something here ? Yes I do have the manual.

BBoxer,

There is a screw deep up in there. You just have to loosen it, so it's not hard to replace. Try to get a flashlight to see up in there so you can get a better idea of what you are doing. I had a hard time changing the bulbs of a similar design on a legend because the car was on the ground. I put the NSX on a lift when I changed the parling light bulbs and it was much easier. The screws are a good 8-10" in that dark hole.

Talking about idiot engineering ;-)

Try disconnecting the two connectors for the LEFT side door, located just under the dash......

They where so impossible to disconnect, i had to leave it.

Oh... i spend only 2 hours....

Dutchy

I've lived with a Porsche 928 for eight years. You guys don't know how good you have it!

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Hints:
Use a phillips bit in a 1/4" socket and a long extension. Need only hand force, no socket wrench required.
(that way you don't need to buy a long phillips screwdriver, my garage is full already!)
A flashlight helps.
The engineering is quite good: it funnels you into the screw head and has great tactile feedback.
Once you got the trick down, it takes a couple of minutes for an R&R.

Originally posted by bboxer:
[. I can only imagine how even more difficuly it is to find the hole to put it back together. Am I missing something here ? Yes I do have the manual.[/B]

1-Once you have loosened the screw ,with very little force, the screw stays in place. You simply re-tighten the screw when you are finished.
2-I was referring to the online service manual, not the owner's manual.

speaking of the parking lights,,,,,,,has anyone taken the yellow reflector out of theres and replaced it with a hyperwhite bulb or stobe lamp....please no flames

Originally posted by NyC NsX:
speaking of the parking lights,,,,,,,has anyone taken the yellow reflector out of theres and replaced it with a hyperwhite bulb or stobe lamp....please no flames

Not necessarily a flame, BUT:

NO!

Although I hear it's all the rage with the high school crowd. :-)

EDR

Hay mikec, I use to have 928S4 too for many years. I miss that car(beside the temp gauge goes up and down like the rpm).
Nyc Nsx, I took the yellow reflector out before and the turn light become lot brighter. or you can replace the parking light to the PIAA running light, change the looks of the car.

im not refering to the yellow reflector that you can see on the side of the car ... its the piece thats inside the parking lights in the front of the bumper.

yes, I am talking about the parking light in the front of the bumber. After remove the yellow reflector inside the turn signal light become lot brighter when I use it.
After change the PIAA light:
fd1b44be.jpg

Back