Opinions on pricing on a 97 NSX-T........

Sold my 91 NSX to another Prime member a could months ago and I'm looking to get into a 97+ targa. Found what appears to be a nice 1997 example with 25K miles. Owner claims the car has had a full TB/WP/etc service a year ago (verifying with dealer that did it on this) and that it's nearly perfect other than a couple stone chips. Completely stock car.

Owner tells me the right rear quarter was replaced and painted purely from cosmetic damage. My previous NSX had the left rear quarter replaced and painted, and it was an issue for every buyer I had interested in the car. I am not opposed to a car with minor repairs like this, and the fact that it's black means even less worry with color matching and such.

I will have to hop on a plane to see the car, and the guy is looking for $40k. Just want a few opinions on what is realistic for a car like this that has had some previous damage. It shows on the carfax, and I know that is going to hurt me at resale time just like it did with the 91 car. I also know it's going to have to go to LarryB and he'll undoubtedly find some issues (coolant hoses, clutch slave/master, hacked up dealer work, etc) that will cost a couple thousand dollars to make right. Assuming the body work checks out to be as described, anyone have opinions on the "right" number to buy a car like this for?

Thanks in advance.

My gut reaction is 35K, tops.

40K is top-dollar IMHO and it does not sound like a top-dollar car if you have to put a couple grand into it right off the bat along with the for-all-time Carfax stigma that you related.

Tim?

Curt I have to agree with you. Here's another point earlier last year a friend of mine and primer here in Atlanta bought an 04 that had some body damage repaired and there was some painting but was not on a car fax - did not show up in his ppi, and it was a 23k mile car that had a NEW clutch and it sold for 45k. Now I know I've gotten flamed for repeatedly mentioning this as a benchmark but still the story is there. Now for me a 97 with known body damage, cosmetic or not - and by the way - no body repalces a body panel for purely cosmetic reasons - it got hit ok. It was painted because it got hit. Not because someone keyed the panel "deeply" ok. So we can push that "smoke" right out of the way and be clear about it. Damage that shows up on a carfax will hurt the resale.

Now as a question to the OP - what did you feel you had to discount your car because of the fender replacement you had on your 91??? Take that amount proportionally off this car. Granted this is a nice example otherwise - low mileage 97 - first year of the NA2. I beleive that money will buy you one like it without body damage. Now that is kind of around what I was seeing when I looked at 97 - 2000 models and they needed to go to a "Larry B" too. Check his records and make him send them to you by scanning. Then you can see what this guy did since he owned it. Few owners is nice too.

I wouldn't say he's way off at 40k but that's not the figure I'd have in mind and I wouldn't fly anywhere till I got a ppi on that car so you'll know exactly what the deal is. Has he done a major service that would include the TB/WP/hoses/etc.? How's the clutch - now that is a biggy on the NA2 - bout 4grand. So I'd do my homework before I even considered flying out there.

I like Curts price but that may be a smidge low - but then again if you have to do a bunch of work to the car to get it up to snuff - it may surely be way too much and worth only 35. Depends on what you find it needs!

My 2 cents,

Back