Official: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: $65,800

It's a bargain!!

The new C6 ZO6 is the high performance car buy of the decade in my opinion. For $70k you have a car that will destroy 95% of the cars on the road today.

The estimated performance stats speak for themselves:

0 to 60: est 3.7 seconds :eek:

0 to 100: est 7.5 seconds :eek:

1/4 mile: est 11.7 @ 127 :eek: :eek:

Top speed: Over 190 mph. My guess is close to 200 :eek: :eek:

Skidpad: Estimated to exceed 1 G :eek:

This is near supercar performance for $20k less than Japan's only "supercar" :rolleyes: the NSX.

Granted, this forum is heavily biased towards the NSX and rightly so, but give Chevrolet credit for building an affordable sports car with supercar performance. There is no doubt that the NSX is a higher quality car than the C6, but the Corvette's quality is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. It has improved considerably compared to the previous generation C5.

However, we are talking about sports cars, which are all about performance and the difference between the C6 ZO6 and the NSX is so great that a comparison is not realistic. It's like comparing an E55 to a 4 cylinder Accord. There is no comparison.

Some of you need to take off the rose colored glasses and come back to reality, because the ZO6 will destroy the NSX on the street, dragstrip, canyons, autocross and racetrack without breaking a sweat. This is the unfortunate truth when a manufacturer continues making the same car for 15 years with no major redesigns and the competition continues to evolve and improve their product.

The new ZO6 is easily worth the $25k premium over the standard C6. The ingredients; 505 hp, 470 lb ft torque, 3100 pounds, dry sump lubrication, oil coolers galore, titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber components, massive 6 piston w/ 6 pads (front) and 4 piston w/ 4 pads (rear) brakes, massive wheels and tires (rears are 325s on 19x12 rims) and etc for only $65k is an enthusiast's dream.

I was impressed enough by the specs of the new ZO6 that I have a deposit on one. :biggrin:

Last edited:
NetViper said:
I concur too! Now sell me your 02 :)

Have not decided what to do with the NSX yet. I've considered making it a daily driver and putting lots of miles on it. What's the record for the most miles on a 2004? :smile:

Re: It's a bargain!!

CerberusM5 said:
The new C6 ZO6 is the high performance car buy of the decade in my opinion. For $70k you have a car that will destroy 95% of the cars on the road today.

This is near supercar performance for $20k less than Japan's only "supercar" :rolleyes: the NSX.

Granted, this forum is heavily biased towards the NSX and rightly so, but give Chevrolet credit for building an affordable sports car with supercar performance. There is no doubt that the NSX is a higher quality car than the C6, but the Corvette's quality is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. It has improved considerably compared to the previous generation C5.

However, we are talking about sports cars, which are all about performance and the difference between the C6 ZO6 and the NSX is so great that a comparison is not realistic. It's like comparing an E55 to a 4 cylinder Accord. There is no comparison.

Some of you need to take off the rose colored glasses and come back to reality, because the ZO6 will destroy the NSX on the street, dragstrip, canyons, autocross and racetrack without breaking a sweat. This is the unfortunate truth when a manufacturer continues making the same car for 15 years with no major redesigns and the competition continues to evolve and improve their product.

The new ZO6 is easily worth the $25k premium over the standard C6. The ingredients; 505 hp, 470 lb ft torque, 3100 pounds, dry sump lubrication, oil coolers galore, titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber components, massive 6 piston w/ 6 pads (front) and 4 piston w/ 4 pads (rear) brakes, massive wheels and tires (rears are 325s on 19x12 rims) and etc for only $65k is an enthusiast's dream.

I was impressed enough by the specs of the new ZO6 that I have a deposit on one. :biggrin:

I WHOLLY agree. I'm a pround NSX owner, but your read hits the nail on the head with a BIG hammer. :P

Remember guys, some of us don't own our NSX'S for performance. We own them for their look and exclusivity.How many thousands of Vettes are made? Oh go see what that 06 Vette will lease for 3 years. I guess $1000 to $1300 a month. Drive that baby off the lot and there goes 25 grand depreciation. But damn that performance is awesome!!

NSXDreamer2 said:
Did you guys really did study the car, yeah, being a proud nsx owner, I must "hate" Corvette, especially the Z0-6... But the new C6 Z0-6 is sweet, a lot of efforts had been put into this generation of the corvette. Even at $70k, it's a bargain that it will compete with the best of the sports cars: ie: F430, 360 Stradale, GT3...

The built quality and reliability could be a problem, but saving $40-100k for the same performance?? Did I mention the Z0-6 hatch back is sexy??
when u say compete with the best of sports cars, i hope ur only thinkin drag. Because put a "C6" up against a GT3 on a track, and watch it get smoked.

1337 said:
when u say compete with the best of sports cars, i hope ur only thinkin drag. Because put a "C6" up against a GT3 on a track, and watch it get smoked.

I love the GT3 and agree it would circulate a racetrack quicker than a standard C6 Corvette, but I would bet the new ZO6 would turn the tables in its favor. The additional 100 hp, increased contact patch and upgraded brakes over the standard Z51 should enable the new ZO6 to be fairly adept on a fast road course. When it comes to handling precision and feel; the GT3 will probably be better than the ZO6 in that category. However, I guess we won't know until we get our hands on the new ZO6.

Bobolinski said:
Remember guys, some of us don't own our NSX'S for performance. We own them for their look and exclusivity.

Very true. I do love the fact that I can go for weeks, sometimes months before seeing another NSX. The C6 on the other hand is a daily sight.

Note the ZO6 will only make up about 20% of Corvette production.

The Z06 will be a bargin in a few years, lots of folks will buy then, drive them a little and scare the hell out of themself and sell them :wink: ! that will be when the real bargins will be found :biggrin: You might find me in one of them then!

titaniumdave said:
The Z06 will be a bargin in a few years, lots of folks will buy then, drive them a little and scare the hell out of themself and sell them :wink: ! that will be when the real bargins will be found :biggrin: You might find me in one of them then!

That sounds like a great plan to me. I just wish I wasn't so impatient. :smile:

liftshard said:
But, seriously, pushing $70,000 on a Vette isn't exactly so much bang for the buck anymore.
Another comparable data point is the coming Mustang (Shelby GT500), which becomes the next SVT Cobra. See a preview in C&D

Comparable power-to-weight to a Corvette using a detuned Ford GT motor putting out 450+ hp / 450 ft-lb at a sub $40K price point... sure it'll be more a point-and-squirt experience, versus a corner-carver like NSX/Elise/etc, but the "bang-for-buck value" notion gets into everyday territory.

###########

Back on topic... I think the C6 Z06 will, a few years down, once first-model-year teething problems and depreciation patterns sort themselves out, may be one of the interesting performance bargains on the menu.

Personally, I'd take a '63 Z06 SWC coupe :)

nsx1164 said:
Back on topic... I think the C6 Z06 will, a few years down, once first-model-year teething problems and depreciation patterns sort themselves out, may be one of the interesting performance bargains on the menu.

Personally, I'd take a '63 Z06 SWC coupe :)

The first year model run is a big concern to me as well. Since the ZO6's powertrain is substantially different than the standard C6, I would guess there definitely will be some teething problems. I am considering changing my order to an 07' if I can be patient. Then again, I guess I can drive the NSX if the ZO6 is in the shop.

By the way, a 63 would be sweet.

CerberusM5 said:

You are being very stingy. In excess of 99% of cars on the road. How many cars EVER made are quicker than these numbers?

It is not "near" supercar performance. It IS supercar performance. The other supercars out there are in the 3.x range. You break 4.0, you're a supercar. At least in a straight line, anyway.

Granted, this forum is heavily biased towards the NSX and rightly so, but give Chevrolet credit for building an affordable sports car with supercar performance.

Uh, Chrysler already did it. Viper's been around for a decade, quicker than any Ferrari.

There is no doubt that the NSX is a higher quality car than the C6, but the Corvette's quality is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. It has improved considerably compared to the previous generation C5.

I agree. The Vette is now up to the level of a lower end RX8. Shop manager at Ack dealership has a C6. Dad has a RX8. Been in both. Pretty fair comparison.

I agree. The NSX needs more hp. I don't see how a 4.0l V8 producing 500 or so would be beyond expectation. One of the reasons the NSX is so reliable is that its engine is lollygagging. Were it tuned up to even 110hp/l, it'd develop 352hp, which would make it much faster. All Honda had to do was up the compression ratio to where the TL and S2000 already are and retune the engine. They could've kept the redline in place at 8000.

You are being very stingy. In excess of 99% of cars on the road. How many cars EVER made are quicker than these numbers?

I agree the 99% figure is probably more accurate, I was being conservative.

It is not "near" supercar performance. It IS supercar performance. The other supercars out there are in the 3.x range. You break 4.0, you're a supercar. At least in a straight line, anyway.

I agree once again. Blame it on being conservative, just in case someone thought the only supercars are Enzos, Carrera GTs and McLaren F1s.

I agree. The Vette is now up to the level of a lower end RX8. Shop manager at Ack dealership has a C6. Dad has a RX8. Been in both. Pretty fair comparison.

It really is not a bad car on the inside. However, it has too much hard plastics, but is much nicer looking than the C5, which looked like an afterthought utilizing leftovers from the GM parts bin.

I agree. The NSX needs more hp. I don't see how a 4.0l V8 producing 500 or so would be beyond expectation. One of the reasons the NSX is so reliable is that its engine is lollygagging. Were it tuned up to even 110hp/l, it'd develop 352hp, which would make it much faster. All Honda had to do was up the compression ratio to where the TL and S2000 already are and retune the engine. They could've kept the redline in place at 8000.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 110%. A stock M3 makes 43 more horsepower with the same displacement. An engine with some decent thrust would change the character of the NSX substantially.

Forget about 0-60. Look at that quarter! 11.7 @ 127 :eek: Next to nothing can touch that. Even a Murcie is slower than that. There are just a handful of cars that can beat that. Ford GT on a good day, Enzo, Mclaren F1, SLR, Carrera GT.... umm... Can't think of any others available in the US.

That car is SERIOUSLY fast and I am pretty confident it will CRUSH nearly anything on the track.

As far as first year issues. This is a valid concern, but you do have a nice warranty, and it would not be your daily driver anyway.

CerberusM5 said:
I agree with this 110%. A stock M3 makes 43 more horsepower with the same displacement. An engine with some decent thrust would change the character of the NSX substantially.

Very true. If the NSX had 333 HP and the TQ of the M3, it would be much more fun to drive. I have no idea why they didnt at least bump it to BMW M3 levels ( a 50K car vs 90k!) with the 2002 refresh. It desperately needed it.

NetViper said:
Forget about 0-60. Look at that quarter! 11.7 @ 127 :eek: Next to nothing can touch that. Even a Murcie is slower than that. There are just a handful of cars that can beat that. Ford GT on a good day, Enzo, Mclaren F1, SLR, Carrera GT.... umm... Can't think of any others available in the US.

That car is SERIOUSLY fast and I am pretty confident it will CRUSH nearly anything on the track.

As far as first year issues. This is a valid concern, but you do have a nice warranty, and it would not be your daily driver anyway.

That quarter mile trap speed is awesome! I hope the estimates are accurate. The ZO6 has brought supercar performance to the masses.

Just imagine putting twin turbos on a ZO6. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I figured I would take the dive and have placed my order with a local Chevy dealer for the new Z06. Black exterior with polished wheels, 1LZ option code. I think it will do until Acura/Honda screws their heads on straight and updates the NSX for the 21st century

liftshard said:
Uh, Chrysler already did it. Viper's been around for a decade, quicker than any Ferrari.

It's been said that the vast majority of totaled Vipers met their demise within the first three months of ownership. If true, I suspect this will also be true of the new Z06, sadly.

Russ said:
It's been said that the vast majority of totaled Vipers met their demise within the first three months of ownership. If true, I suspect this will also be true of the new Z06, sadly.

But he viper had no traction control, stability control etc etc. I think the Z06 has them all. It should keep most drivers out of trouble. -- unless they turn it off. :biggrin:

Speaking of bargins, I picked up may paper this morning and it has wrapper on it boasting "Buy a GM product at our price" employee purchase program. Has any one checked out if this offer is good for a ZO6? I would guess that GM does not expect their employees to own this car, but might be worth asking...

titaniumdave said:
Speaking of bargins, I picked up may paper this morning and it has wrapper on it boasting "Buy a GM product at our price" employee purchase program. Has any one checked out if this offer is good for a ZO6? I would guess that GM does not expect their employees to own this car, but might be worth asking...

I already did. It only applies to 2005 model cars and no Corvettes. :frown:

CerberusM5 said:
I already did. It only applies to 2005 model cars and no Corvettes. :frown:

Plus it expires the first week of July? which is before the ZO6 comes out.

Back