Official: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: $65,800

ncdogdoc said:
Plus it expires the first week of July? which is before the ZO6 comes out.

It does not matter when the Z06 comes out because:
1. It's a Corvette
2. It's not going to be an 05 model
as CerberusM5 already mentioned.

I'd personally only buy one for the track.

I'm not a huge Vette fan and would only buy this one if I needed all that power for the track. It's overkill for the street, and I don't like the interior of the new ones. Still cheap. Strip one for the track would be fun, but an everyday or non-track car, I would not buy one.

tough call, i thought the C5 Z06 was a bargain in the 50K's, but was rather surprised to see the C6 Z06 pricing jump almost 15-20 grand. Honestly the C6 in any flavor is out of my price range right now, but I could see a used one in my future if the build and reliability problems were gone. I sort of doubt that's the case, every time the vette comes out, there's always someone touting how much the build quality has improved, but it's never been improved enough.

btw, when talking about the Z06, dshould it be referred to as a "zee-oh-six"?

I think that's a hell of a lot of car for the money but... there's no way I'd feel comfortable plunking down that much coin for a first or second year production GM product. Sorry. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it and if history tells us anything it's that you don't want to fight a land war in Asia and you don't want to buy a first or second year American car.

A couple years down the road a nice, certified used one with a ton of depreciation already in it and a good warranty might be enought to tempt me.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong - that's what's so funny. I switched glasses when your back was turned. Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line." Hahahahahah.

I was leaning on waiting for this car myself as some of you may remember. But overall I could not get comfortable with the "cheese" quality of the overall car. Interior is typical GM, and long term I do not know how the car would hold up. That is why I landed my second NSX. I must say, I went to GM with my NSX just to do a comparison, and once you sit in the NSX, sitting in the Vette sucks! fit and finish in our car is so much better. Best of all, we have a unique car, very exotic, very reliable, very affordable. It was funny walking into the dealership and seeing 6 vettes on the showroom floor, not to mention the 5 that were outside. When was the last time you saw that many NSX's at Acura in one time (other than a meet :biggrin: ). It was also funny driving up into the dealer lot with my NsX, and everyone, customers and employees thought the NSX was way cooler than the vette. Finally, I dont want to buy a car that every time I see on the road, it is either a granny or a grandpa driving...I always wondered why so many auto's were built, but now I see why.

just my 2 cents.

Re: It's a bargain!!

You can go weeks or months without seeing a fiat too. Lets not get into the NSX ownz all thread. The nsx does have one of the best interiors I have been in regardless of make, the Z06 will kill the nsx in any performance aspect. Let's face it Honda sucks and the NSX is dead, enjoy it while it lasts.

CerberusM5 said:
Very true. I do love the fact that I can go for weeks, sometimes months before seeing another NSX. The C6 on the other hand is a daily sight.

Note the ZO6 will only make up about 20% of Corvette production.

love the nsx.....but the fact is the z06 is an amazing car

Corvette 'Blue Devil' reported in Autoweek 7/4/05

According to the article, Jan Magnussen is testing an ultra-performance Corvette dubbed Blue Devil at the Nurburgring. The article quotes Bob Lutz as saying "My guess is we're going to find a way to do something beyond the Z06 that would be at a much higher price point and would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars in the world."

Autoweek speculates that the car would likely be have a blown version of the Z06 7.0 V8 producing upwards of 600 hp, weight of 2900 lbs., price somewhere around $100k and possibly a production date as soon as 2006.

I don't know guys it looks pretty BAD ASS!!

Z06_5.jpg

Re: It's a bargain!!

Bobolinski said:
Oh go see what that 06 Vette will lease for 3 years. I guess $1000 to $1300 a month. Drive that baby off the lot and there goes 25 grand depreciation. But damn that performance is awesome!!

Not sure if the 06 Z06 will suffer $25k depreciation in the first year, but how is that any different than the NSX? You can get an 04 NSX for $65k - check out what's on eBay. As for lease pricing, yes, you can lease an NSX for $799/month, but that is due to AHF trickery - a substantial reduction in cap cost and an artificially high residual. I leased my 96 NSX (in 1996, it was brand new) and got $12k off the sticker. 39 months later I bought the car from AHF for almost $10k less than the residual value.

GM and Honda have had switched tactics. GM is cranking out better and better product (maybe its not yet world class, but its getting there), while Honda is trying to move a 15 year old product with artificial financing deals.

JMO.

supra2nv said:
But overall I could not get comfortable with the "cheese" quality of the overall car. Interior is typical GM, and long term I do not know how the car would hold up. ... I must say, I went to GM with my NSX just to do a comparison, and once you sit in the NSX, sitting in the Vette sucks! fit and finish in our car is so much better.

I don't know - I don't see the NSX interior all that superior in terms of material/build quality. It's not like its a Ferrari interior with lots of leather, suede, carbon fiber and machined metal bits. Only the seat surfaces are leather, the rest of the interior is vinyl and plastic. I recently took my complete interior out of my car - the panels had the vinyl peeling from the backing board - I had to glue the vinyl back on just about every panel.

supra2nv said:
Best of all, we have a unique car, very exotic, very reliable, very affordable. It was funny walking into the dealership and seeing 6 vettes on the showroom floor, not to mention the 5 that were outside. When was the last time you saw that many NSX's at Acura in one time (other than a meet :biggrin: )

NSX dealers don't have many (or any) NSX's in the showroom for the simple reason that no one is buying them. If an Acura dealer could sell 10 NSX's a month, they certainly would have them in stock. Several years ago, some Acura dealers did have multiple NSX's on their lots.

I love my NSX but that doesn't lead me to believe that every other car is a POS. Yes, the Corvette is inferior to the NSX in some areas, but given that the NSX costs almost twice as much as the base Corvette, it should be better in EVERY respect. But when you compare the NSX to the 06 Z06, you could easily call the NSX brakes, engine, transmission, ABS system, stability control system and sound system "cheap" or a "POS" in comparison. And the NSX costs at least $25k more.

Also, how do you consider the NSX "very affordable"?

JMO, as always.

I firmly agree TC. The NSX is a classic supercar, but I say that with the some negativity. To me alot of the NSX interior looks dated. The shape and lines look great, but to me, everything else looks old.

The exterior is still beautiful, but it too is starting to show it's age. It's a real shame that Honda did not continue to refine the NSX. The new C6 Z06 will be a world beater.....just imagine what it will be with some mods!! :eek:

Re: Corvette 'Blue Devil' reported in Autoweek 7/4/05

jcjcf1 said:
According to the article, Jan Magnussen is testing an ultra-performance Corvette dubbed Blue Devil at the Nurburgring. The article quotes Bob Lutz as saying "My guess is we're going to find a way to do something beyond the Z06 that would be at a much higher price point and would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars in the world."

Autoweek speculates that the car would likely be have a blown version of the Z06 7.0 V8 producing upwards of 600 hp, weight of 2900 lbs., price somewhere around $100k and possibly a production date as soon as 2006.

Pretty friggin wicked. Will be hard for some to beat.
http://www.americancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050701.001

Back