Number of NSXs in US

I completely agree with Carguy! that 90% are still on the road.

I think 65%-70% is way too low, here's the quik'n'dirty explanation of why if anyone's interested.

-Assume the weighted average age of all NSXs is 10 years old.
-Assume that the average value all NSXs is about $45K at the time they were totalled.

If 30% (or 2400) of the NSXs have been crashed or stolen then the payout by the insurance companies would have been 2400 * $45K. This equals $108 million.

For the insurance companies to break even on collision insurance (not liability), they'd have needed to collect $108 million in collision insurance payments. There have been approximately 8000 * 10 (from the assumption above) years of NSX collision premiums paid. This equals 80,000 years of premiums. To recover the 108 million that they would have had to pay out for 2400 totalled NSXs, the average annual collision premium for an NSX would have to be $108,000,000 / 80,000 which equals $1350. This seems extremely high to me. This amount doesn't include the administrative or profit components for the insurance companies. I think <$500 would be more accurate, so I'd go with Carguy's! estimate of over 90% still around.

milz50 said:
$108,000,000 / 80,000 which equals $1350. This seems extremely high to me. This amount doesn't include the administrative or profit components for the insurance companies. I think <$500 would be more accurate, so I'd go with Carguy's! estimate of over 90% still around.

I don't know about you, but I'm paying about $525 a *month* to insure my NSX. Maybe I'm making up the difference you see? lol

SR

milz50 said:
Wow! I feel for you. I'm sure folks from major metro areas pay a lot (San Fran, NY, Chicago, LA). That's insane though. That's insane though.

Too many tickets, too little time. :D

SR

milz50 said:

If 30% (or 2400) of the NSXs have been crashed or stolen then the payout by the insurance companies would have been 2400 * $45K. This equals $108 million.

For the insurance companies to break even on collision insurance (not liability), they'd have needed to collect $108 million in collision insurance payments. There have been approximately 8000 * 10 (from the assumption above) years of NSX collision premiums paid. This equals 80,000 years of premiums. To recover the 108 million that they would have had to pay out for 2400 totalled NSXs, the average annual collision premium for an NSX would have to be $108,000,000 / 80,000 which equals $1350. This seems extremely high to me. This amount doesn't include the administrative or profit components for the insurance companies. I think <$500 would be more accurate, so I'd go with Carguy's! estimate of over 90% still around.
I think you are assuming that each totaled NSX would have resulted from the NSX driver being at fault.

Great Point! That is a gaping flaw in my analysis. It's good that that there are so many smart people on this forum.

I wonder if there is an easy way to get data on the quantity of NSXes registered here.

KGP said:
I think you are assuming that each totaled NSX would have resulted from the NSX driver being at fault.

I stick with my 90% estimate and believe that if anything it might be a little low.

Also insurance companies are out to make money not break even, so the premiums would be high enough to make a profit. They also keep quite a high percentage in their favor when they estimate costs so that they don't get burned.

People talk about all of the NSX's they see totaled, but they aren't taking into account that a large majority of these are being restored.

Someone else was talking about the ones that were being riced was taking away from the number of cars, as we all know this doesn't take away from the number of cars. In fact when someone upgrades to a body kit various pieces are then available to fix up the cars that have been in accidents.

Many cars when they approach the age of the NSX and an engine or trans goes out are sent to the junk yard, but with the NSX it more than pays to fix these cars up also. I haven't seen too many NSX's that are in as bad of shape as the picture posted above. I think that one will turn out to be a part car, I would chalk that one up to the 10% that I don't think are on the road anymore.

Carguy! said:
I stick with my 90% estimate and believe that if anything it might be a little low.

Maybe so, or maybe not...who really knows. I'll say this though; For the past month I have been watching the insurance auction boards for (totaled) NSX's, and there has been a new one each week.

If the definition is "still on the road", then the number may very well be 90%. If the definition is "never been in an accident, has no stories, no body work, no extensive paintwork, no washed title, etc. etc.", I'd bet it's probably like 50% at most.

Carguy,

To me (and a lot of other Primers I'd bet) once an NSX has been totaled, its gone. There is just almost no chance that the "restoration" would be even remotely adequate. 99% of the "rebuilds" should be counted as "gone". This is a problem with used exotics in general. There are too many cars still on the road that *should* have been parted out but instead were sloppily put back together, title washed, and resold to the unsuspecting public.

IMO there are very few NSXs out there. Frankly, even here in Miami where exotic cars are a dime a dozen, I get all excited when I see another NSXer. The last one I saw was last week wed. He had a fairly moded red '96 NSX. I turned around to catch him and he pulled over for me (its that NSX luv:D ) We should be happy to have these rare gems of cars.

Now I read in an NSXdriver mag that reps from Honda were/are very unhappy with the sales of the redesigned NSX. It's drepressing such that when I was asked by a friend if I would buy a 360 modena given the money I answered: "Only after I get a new NSX with the JGTC mods I love"

Besides...reading a road&track mag while at the local acura dealership, I noticed that the Modena only gets about 7 mpg:eek:

Oh...as for insurance...here in Miami insurance is ridiculous. I have a female friend with no accidents, no tickets, and still pays almost $300 a month for her brand new VW Beetle (no accounting for taste). I pay just over $500 for my NSX and Integra combined.

NYC is the same... I pay about $400/month for my 01 BMW and 03 NSX. That figure represents full coverage, $1k deductible, 32 years old, married with no tickets or accidents...

KGP said:
... been watching the insurance auction boards for (totaled) NSX's, and there has been a new one each week.
Right on queue, here is the latest.
getimage.asp

NSX&RX7 said:
3. If you drive around long enough. particularly in the NE region, you'd think there were far fewer NSXs around. I'd say, over the course of 2-3 years, I've seen (except for our NSXCA Lime Rock gathering) maybe 6 cars. 8,000 vehicles sounds quite high. Maybe 4,000 is more like it?

Just because you don’t see a lot of NSXs, doesn’t mean they’re not around. Many of them aren’t used every day. Average mileage on an NSX is ~5K/year, which is only a third of typical mileage on most cars. So your chances of seeing one of 8,000 NSXs on the road are similar to your chances of seeing one of 2,667 of some other car that is used every day.

NSX&RX7 said:
4. Can anyone tell me who the NSXer is in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I'm relocating in August and would like to make contact with him regarding Acura service and club activities in the SW.

Larry, he was copied on the e-mail I sent you. Have you tried e-mailing him? If you have trouble reaching him by e-mail, send me an e-mail and I’ll help.

Originally posted by KGP
Lately I have been watching the insurance auction sites, and there has been a total show up at least every other week.

But some of those will eventually be rebuilt and retitled. And even so, that’s only 26 per year.

Originally posted by ck
Dont' forget that a high number have been exported to various foreign countries.

Are you referring to the 12,000 or so that Honda has sold in other markets? Or cars that were originally sold here? As far as the latter goes, cars go in and out of any country. Canadian cars are sold in the States and vice versa. US market cars (VERY few) are shipped to Europe and Euro market cars (again, VERY few) are shipped to the States.

Originally posted by spookyp
If the definition is "still on the road", then the number may very well be 90%. If the definition is "never been in an accident, has no stories, no body work, no extensive paintwork, no washed title, etc. etc.", I'd bet it's probably like 50% at most.

I don’t know what the percentage is that would qualify under the latter criteria. Certainly the percentage of cars that have had a dented fender or other minor damage is significant, whether it’s 10 percent or 40 percent. And some of those are in much better condition than no-accident cars that have not been well maintained.

I was thinking more along the lines of multi-panel damage, bad collisions, etc. I definitely wouldn't be counting minor fender benders properly repaired by a responsible owner. It just seems like an awful lot of cars come up that have had really questionable histories. It's a tough thing to put numbers on though. to be honest, and it may just be that the bad apples leave a longer lasting impression.

Back