Nsxpo 2004 Hpde ?

"official" information here -- http://www.reifstavern.com/nsx/school.htm

Wanted to start / collect discussion on preparation, tips, etc here.

Topics might include:
1) more detail on format (run groups, use and/or provision of in-car instructors, etc)
2) possible logistics info for parts/service (e.g., local-area facilities for service and inspection, repairs/tuning -- notably for those that might need help with brakes and tires)
3) discussion on venue-specific tips/techniques -- links to track maps, instructional videos, lines, etc

nsx1164 said:
"official" information here
It's all available at www.nsxpo.com, no need to refer to the other site.

nsx1164 said:
1) more detail on format (run groups, use and/or provision of in-car instructors, etc)
Same as previous NSXPOs with track events run by NSXCA, with in-car instructors.

nsx1164 said:
2) possible logistics info for parts/service (e.g., local-area facilities for service and inspection, repairs/tuning -- notably for those that might need help with brakes and tires)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35088

(Watch out, the Forums Nazi may slap you for asking that! ;) )

nsx1164 said:
3) discussion on venue-specific tips/techniques -- links to track maps, instructional videos, lines, etc
http://www.theglen.com as well as in the packet that will be sent to all participants, as usual.

Thank you for the responses.

Thanks guys... by keeping links to the various answers in this one thread, this makes it easier to reference.

Track map

wgi%5F2004%5Ftrackfeatures%5Flg%2Egif

Larger image downloadable at -- http://dbserver.iscmotorsports.com/.../MMFiles/MMFiles23/wgi_2004_trackfeatures.pdf

Actually, I think the map on the Glen website showing 3-D elevations is more illustrative of the nature of the track...

More track info...

From materials from the Audi Club of North America. Thanks to Larry Boyer, ACNA Chief Instructor.

Track mapping courtesy of the NE Chapter of the Audi Club North America, and especially to Glenn Lawton and Steve Early.

Its a turn-by-turn analysis of the circuit.

Turn 1 : The 90 (RIGHT)

Attachments

• wgi t1.jpg
    wgi t1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Sig said:
NSX1164-
Thanks for putting all that up!
Sure... the above is for initial "guidance" only. Different cars, driving styles, etc will no doubt result in a number of variations to the suggested lines above.

I welcome any/all suggestions, comments and feedback from folks with more experience at WGI.

Looks like a FUN track, and am definitely looking forward to driving it later this season!!!

- Manuel

Looks great, although the 10-11 drawing seems to show the car going "straight" for a longer distance than I have been able to manage but perhaps it is just my perception at speed.

A quick note:

Peter Mills, the expert, adviced me that NSXs should stay in the middle rather than stay outside in The Loop after Bus Stop chicane.

RSO 34 said:
Looks great, although the 10-11 drawing seems to show the car going "straight" for a longer distance than I have been able to manage but perhaps it is just my perception at speed.

Or you are just too darn fast!! :D

RSO 34 said:
Bob, your experience is probably correct.

My own experience with some of these diagrams is that they are not always drawn to "accurate" scale. I'd suggest reviewing actual aerial photographs to confirm some of this.

Of course, one's perceptions at speed may differ, and may vary as one gets better (braking zone comes in hotter, brake points get adjusted, sometimes turn-in point, etc).

TigerNSX said:
Peter Mills, the expert, adviced me that NSXs should stay in the middle rather than stay outside in The Loop after Bus Stop chicane.
I defer to Peter's experience at this circuit... a tighter radius means a shorter path, and theoretically a quicker way around. IF your car will stick on this line...

Traditional driver-ed 101 would suggest a more conservative, wider arc (using more of the track), particularly with heavier/larger vehicles, such as the one the Audi folks initially suggest. With variations on equipment (including better tires, suspension setup, etc), you can then bring this in closer and further optimize the line, as Peter and folks have observed with their experience with NSXs.

I just watched the video again and it appears that the car will be going straight for approximately 15-20 feet at that location if you originally track out all the way to the right and go over the "depression" on the track near the gators and "berm."

Great info here!!

Sorry for the beginner questions.. I just registered as a member of NSXCA recently and will be attending the HPDE...

- what is the schedule for Monday and Tuesday?
- Wil the instructor be w/ you the whole time, or will there be a period of going solo?
- How long is each session?
- I have a friend with an S2000, can he join... (just asking since S2000s are usually at meets)
- Are there lockers or places to put personals and parts?

off topic..
- Are the NSX-Ts restricted from racing at different events due to the targa?

Thanks guys!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Jay

JaySpec7 said:

- Wil the instructor be w/ you the whole time, or will there be a period of going solo?
- I have a friend with an S2000, can he join... (just asking since S2000s are usually at meets)

off topic..

1. The schedule is not set yet but there will be 4 run groups with each group getting 4 sessions per day.

2. The instructor will be with you the entire time unless you get signed off to go solo.

3. Each session will be 30 minutes.

4. Only NSXs will be permitted on the track (the only exceptions are non-NSXCA instructors).

5. There are no lockers but there is a garage. Depending upon the number of students, there may not be enough bays for every car but you should be able to keep things inside by sharing a table.

I am not sure what you mean about NSX-Ts "racing" but they are permitted in HPDE, as long as the roof stays on.

EDIT: SEE PETER MILLS' POST BELOW

Last edited:
NSX Driver's School

JaySpec7 Great info here!!

Sorry for the beginner questions.. I just registered as a member of NSXCA recently and will be attending the HPDE...

Schedule is completed and there will be four run groups.
Instructor, Advanced, Intermediate and Novice. Each group will get four 20-30 minute sessions per day.

In the novice group an instructor will be with his or her student during all sessions. Intermediates will be able to run solo after being signed off by their instructors. Advanced students will run solo after the first session riding with an instructor.

20-30 minutes

Sorry, this event is for NSX's only. Instructors however can drive any make of car.

Like RSO stated there is a 60 car garage that we'll being using
we expect everyone to play nice and share bench space.

off topic..

First, this is not a race, it's a High Performance Driving School. You are there to learn how to drive your NSX at speed in a safe environment.
Targa's are allowed but they must keep their tops on. Any NSX that has been structurally modified, such as a coupe becoming a convertible ( and there are a few) must have a full SCCA approved roll cage or they will be denied access to the track.

Thanks guys!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Jay

Last edited:
Back