NSX VS Viper

Hello

I am new here but not new to auto forums, so I did a lot of searches and still have a couple of questions. I am looking for a new toy in the Mid to high 30's, I prefer and NSX. However it seems that I cannot find any in that price range, so I have been considering a viper. It seems that these are a bit less expensive. How do you think a viper compares to an NSX in terms of cost of ownership? In the long run, which would be more desirable? Most acura's I have have much higher mileage than the Dodge, should I be concerned?

I guess it was a pretty trollish question to ask. I I am just being a little impatient about getting a new toy and noticed Vipers seem kinda inexpensive. So I am kinda on the fence, but really deep down would prefer the Acura. In a perfect World I would own both, plus alot of other toys.

xfiremd said:
I am looking for a new toy in the Mid to high 30's... However it seems that I cannot find any in that price range
You either haven't been looking long enough, or in enough places. Mid to high 30's can find you a great NA1 NSX. The FAQ pricing guide is pretty darn accurate.

You can definitely find NSX's from 91-96 around the prince range of $30k to $40k...You can find really nice ones if your patient!!! The worse case scenrio if you want a toy so bad is that you end up buying a Viper which isnt that bad at all!! Good luck on your search!!

I think I will keep looking, I want a targa top. I think the Acura is a bit more unique. I wish these car we easier to find.

xfiremd said:
I think I will keep looking, I want a targa top. I think the Acura is a bit more unique. I wish these car we easier to find.
95 and up NSX's are targa except for the pp Zanard!!

xfiremd said:
Yes, the NSX is very unique! I looked at 7 other nsx's before finding my mint 95 NSX-T. Be patient and you will find one.

Great topic that I brought up on the Z forum a while back:

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149828

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189759

I'm enjoying my Viper now, however, one day I vow to own an NSX ;).

Bat™

IMGP7994.jpg

IMGP8003.jpg

IMGP8020.jpg

Bat, thats a great looking car. You can afford that selling overlays? Man I am in the wrong line of work. :tongue:

that viper that is up on ebay is in horrible condition. holy crap, faded headlights, the body panels aren't aligned right. and the interior is pure trash. if i was driving that car i would feel like fred flintstone driving around his foot powered car. ( of course its got alot more power than that ) but when i'm driving, i want to feel like i'm actually driving a car.

It came down to Viper vs NSX when I was making the final choice. I made a call to a classified ad for a early-mid 90's Viper I found. I spoke to the owner told him my situation. When I said I'd be doing some road trips, immediately he told me "Go for the NSX, as a matter of fact I own one of those too and trying to sell it also". Mentioned about how the Viper is a fun car, but it's really "TOO" much to handle when it comes to long drives. Follows highway grooves baddly, price of TIRES and mentioned the final straw that broke the Viper's back, many have NO AC.

I'd love to own either, hell I love my NSX now. Viper would be nice too, but I'm happier and feel more secure in the higher quality better reputation of the Acura. Especially when I made the LONG drives across the 110+ degree heat of the Nevada/California Desert w/ my 18 month old daughter inthe passenger seat, w/ the AC screaming the whole way :)

heathbar0 said:

Yikes...yeah, the quality of the interior/exterior plastics is pretty obvious. That's why I stay away from pricey domestics (Vette, Viper). On paper they're great, but they just don't seem to last very long. That Viper reminds me of my high school car...weathered. I can only imagine how bad that thing rattles down the road.
Don't get me wrong, a new one would be sweet, but I sure wouldn't hold onto it more than a couple years.

Two questions....What kind of wheels are those? Will they fit my NSX? I have LBBP and have been looking for something that would look good with that color....BEAUTIFUL car BTW!!!!

xfiremd said:
I guess it was a pretty trollish question to ask. I I am just being a little impatient about getting a new toy and noticed Vipers seem kinda inexpensive. So I am kinda on the fence, but really deep down would prefer the Acura. In a perfect World I would own both, plus alot of other toys.

In terms of rarity I think the Viper and the NSX are about even. It's definitely an exotic and as a car lover it's always interested me in a weird way...

But the NSX and Viper are about 180 degrees apart in terms of the package. The Viper is a muscle car. The NSX is about balance.

The Viper is a very raw, hot low-torque beast. I've never heard anyone say they daily drove their Viper. Forget about comfort and driving long trips.

They're also expensive and relatively unreliable. Parts are very expensive for an American car and things like the frequent clutch repairs can burn a hole in your wallet.

That Viper is not in the 30K range and is a big leap from the ones that are. The first gens were so brutal. This car is significantly improved and much nicer than Gen1 IMO.
Totally different feel from the NSX. That Viper is a sharp long handled axe and the NSX a scalpel.
The real car to compare to a Gen 3 Viper is a C6 ZO6, not a NSX. My 2 cents.

NSXGMS said:
In terms of rarity I think the Viper and the NSX are about even. It's definitely an exotic and as a car lover it's always interested me in a weird way...

But the NSX and Viper are about 180 degrees apart in terms of the package. The Viper is a muscle car. The NSX is about balance.

The Viper is a very raw, hot low-torque beast. I've never heard anyone say they daily drove their Viper. Forget about comfort and driving long trips.

They're also expensive and relatively unreliable. Parts are very expensive for an American car and things like the frequent clutch repairs can burn a hole in your wallet.

They're also really really fast....which has its perks too.
:smile:

(not my cup of tea, but I respect 'em)

xfiremd said:
Hello

I am new here but not new to auto forums, so I did a lot of searches and still have a couple of questions. I am looking for a new toy in the Mid to high 30's, I prefer and NSX. However it seems that I cannot find any in that price range, so I have been considering a viper. It seems that these are a bit less expensive. How do you think a viper compares to an NSX in terms of cost of ownership? In the long run, which would be more desirable? Most acura's I have have much higher mileage than the Dodge, should I be concerned?

I borrowed a 2002 Viper GTS for a day, here are my observations:

The good:

in person it looks much more intimidating than the NSX.
It handles just as well, it may be a heavy car but it has about a 48/52 F/R weight distribution. Those 335 rear tires make the car hook-up, even in 1st gear.
There is NO replacement for displacement, everyone needs to drive a large displacement car once in their lives.

The bad:

If its not a 2000-2002 its not going to have ABS, no ABS = teh suck, especially if you like autocrossing.
The interior is in general, meh.. its also difficult to get in and out, not to mention uncomfortable to drive.
Did I mention what a pain it is to drive ?

I feel spoiled with the NSX since it basically is as easy to drive as a Honda, the visability from the windscreen and the short nose is very nice, the Vipers on the other hand is a total pain with the short windscreen and long hood, the pedal placements are akward, which is probably why the GTS has adjustable pedals.

Buy the Viper :smile: you can always sell it later if you get tired of it.

Back