NSX vs STI vs Evo ???

Mate have you even looked at a real rally car up close!!!

Just cause it looks like one does not mean it is one.

Mate, have you even looked at my post up close?

I'm pretty sure I said its a tuned down version of one. I didn't say it was the same, I am saying they're similar.. It's the consumer version of it detuned. I'm pretty sure GT versions of consumer cars are similar to the consumer versions, but not the same. Just like how rally cars are similar to the street versions, but not the same

Last edited:
I see things haven't changed much around here. I'm just curious, of those who bash the STI or EVO, how many of you have actually driven one?

I have had 2 NSX's, a 1996 that I had supercharged and then a 1997 which I also had supercharged. I've had a Porsche 996TT and Ferrari 360 Modena and now a Challenge Stradale. My daily driver is a new Mitsubishi EVO X MR. For those of you quick to criticize, the car is 291 hp stock, 370 hp now with just an ECU reflash and drop in filter, all wheel drive, active center differential, active yaw control, 14 inch brembo brakes, eibach springs, bilstein struts, 6-speed paddle shift manual (not automatic) transmission, recaro buckets, BBS wheels, 650 watt Rockford Fosgate sound system with 9 speakers and 30g HD, HD based navigation, blue tooth hands free phone, adjustable HID lights, and leather/alcantara interior all this is standard with the exception of the reflash and filter. The car does not have the styling or head-turning appeal of the NSX but it is one very nice car.

If anyone in the Phoenix area want to go for a ride in the EVO or the Ferrari, let me know.
Lol, maybe so ,but to be really relevent to this topic you only get to keep one of your cars:eek: so which one would it be:wink:

Lol, maybe so ,but to be really relevent to this topic you only get to keep one of your cars:eek: so which one would it be:wink:

Hi Jon, how have you been? You probably don't remember but you took me for one heck of a ride around Infineon in your NSX back at NSXPO '03.

Fortunately, I don't have to pick just one but for the purpose of this thread, the Porsche would actually make a great DD as mine did for about 3 years.

Keep your Mustang.

Hi Jon, how have you been? You probably don't remember but you took me for one heck of a ride around Infineon in your NSX back at NSXPO '03.

Fortunately, I don't have to pick just one but for the purpose of this thread, the Porsche would actually make a great DD as mine did for about 3 years.

Hey now:smile: Good to see you still lurking.Truth be told the thought of picking up a new evo as my dd, have some laughs ect. has crossed my mind many times:redface:

112052003_0102Dragon0066.JPG

The first trip I took to the Dragon I went with a couple of STi's and an Evo. The NSX corners better. It brakes better. It looks WAY better. The four door cars accelerate much harder and if you can keep the turbos spooled up, will be faster in straight lines. I followed them through the mountains without any problems. The last day we were there, I led them through the Dragon. I smoked them so bad I could have mailed post cards from the gift shop before they caught up with me.

:cool:

Why is everyone bashing on the Evo n STI? Did everyone forget that these are based (tuned down version) on world class rally cars? There is just as much R&D into these car as the X if not more.. They have semi-built 4 bangers capable of handling a lot of HP reliably.. I personally don't think they are ugly, everything is functional and put on there for a purpose...

Not sayin the X isn't a great car, but these cars are great too..
37 posts, you don't own a NSX (I don't own a X) this is a NSX forum, not hating on the STI, I have a Subie, been thinking of trading in the Outback and getting a STI to drive daily for fun, but it sure as hell isn't a NSX and ask me which one I'd keep, not even a question. After you've owned/driven extensively a NSX, maybe you'd answer the question a little bit differently.

The first trip I took to the Dragon I went with a couple of STi's and an Evo. The NSX corners better. It brakes better. It looks WAY better. The four door cars accelerate much harder and if you can keep the turbos spooled up, will be faster in straight lines. I followed them through the mountains without any problems. The last day we were there, I led them through the Dragon. I smoked them so bad I could have mailed post cards from the gift shop before they caught up with me.

:cool:

I get the feeling that driver skill may have been involved in the margin of "victory" :cool:

I think some folks have missed the point, the way I read it anyway.

The OP did not say "I'm trying to decide between and NSX, and an STI/EVO".

He said (I'm paraphrasing) "I think I want an NSX, but I do not know everything about them, how does it compare to my friends' STI/EVO, which I am more familiar with".

OP, feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted.

In summary:

-Similar Performance (they will likely not rape you on a track driver skill being equal)
-EVO/STI = more practical/cheaper to maintain
-NSX = more presitious/refined
-NSX = better looking (it's an NSX board, what did you expect?)
-NSX = potentially more mature crowd (just reiterating).
-Just go drive the first one you can (but please don't joy-ride anyone that's seriously trying to sell unless you are seriously trying to buy his/her car).

Last edited:
I get the feeling that driver skill may have been involved in the margin of "victory" :cool:

:biggrin:

They were good drivers. I could carry way more speed into the corners. They could gain on me through the straighaways but I kept increasing the distance every corner. Straighter roads like the Cherohalla they faired better, but I'm a maniac.

:eek:

:biggrin:

They were good drivers. I could carry way more speed into the corners. They could gain on me through the straighaways but I kept increasing the distance every corner. Straighter roads like the Cherohalla they faired better, but I'm a maniac.

:eek:

I haven't had my NSX up the mountain yet, but I've had my MR2 Turbo up there a few times. Mid engined cars work REALLY well on the tight stuff. I have slowed down on purpose because I thought a guy in an M3 was going to wreck trying to keep up. Local knowledge goes a long way to evening the playing field.

::edit::

and yeah, GSRboy, I wish both of my cars were that clean looking...I might be tempted to post more pictures than I do. :)

Last edited:
STIs and EVOs are awesome cars and are very capable machines.

FYI (to keep in mind) the stock 91 NSX came with 205/15 front 225/16 rear wheels.

Throw on some 215/17 265/17 (or 265/18) and you'll have more grip to work with and will greatly increase the capabilities of the NSX.

Seriously consider the JDM "Short" gears. The stock US-spec 2nd gear for the NSX hits 80mph. Its ridiculously too long and slows the car down. The JDM has much better gear ratio, improving the acceleration of the car.

If you have a 2nd car, I would go with the NSX. If you don't, and if you live where it rains a lot/snows, you might consider the EVO/STI.

Really learn more about each car's history (all 3 have rich herritage) nad look at your personal situation to determine which car best fits you.

Either way its easy for an EVO/STI to turn up the boost or do a turbo swap and make 4-500whp. It's going to cost a NSX a lot more to get those #s, but regardless, it's still an NSX - a car that gets Porsche owners to check it out (when no one is looking).

I think you already answered your question when you said you wanted something different. The EVO X is pretty fun and I imagine the STI is good too, but they are pretty common and based on economy platforms and styling--4 doors, cup holders, back seat, etc... Whereas the NSX is a purpose built sports car. Considering I was also coming from Mustangs and Camaros, I think I understand where you are coming from. Whatever, you thought was good with the 99 mustang, you can pretty much toss out the door once you drive an NSX. It may not have the grunt relative to some modern cars, but for a car almost 20 years old it feels more sporty and fun.

The number of misinterpretations of the original post remind me of this guy! We shredded him and to this day he still only has one post!

Honestly, it sounds like you want a car that will "compete" with your friends' AWD cars. As stated above, the NSX can do that in many ways. In other ways the 4-doors will dominate. You'll just have to consider your personal needs and then respond to your friends' attacks because "for that much money you could have bought a _____ and have _____ much more horsepower!"

But when you get one, please don't call it an "X". :wink:

Gsrboy, those cars look familiar.

My brother have an Evo, I enjoy driving that car very much.
Compared to an Nsx, of course they are very different. I think that the Nsx is in a different category.

Last edited:
They aren't even remotely the same type of cars, so what do you wanna compare here? And yes, these threads do come off as annoying?

What's faster? What handles better?

They're all faster than you need.
They all handle better than you can drive.

If you are putting the NSX in the same sentence as a EVO or some other boxy rice rocket.... then get one of those. Yes they're capable cars, but it's not about numbers with an NSX. It's more of a mindset. And by your comparison base I'm not sure you're there.

Let me explain why these threads are annoying.....

I would venture to bet close to NONE of us give a shit how our cars stack up to a EVO / WRX / CIVIC / (insert any car of this nature here).

We love our cars for what they are. The fact that you are basing the comparison of couple of "new" cars vs. our 18 year old design says something.

I don't care what my 0-60 time is. Don't care what my top speed is. Don't care what some magazine says about my skid pad, don't care what my friends drive... none of it. All I care about is that when I walk out into my garage, flip the light on, and slip that cover off my ride.... I think it's one of the drop dead sexiest things on the planet. That's all that should really matter to you. Stop comparing shit and just get the car that one day made you say, "wow, that car looks bad ass!, I'd love to drive one of those". Then you'll never be unhappy.

Get what you want. We all did. It's why we don't compare.

The End.

The number of misinterpretations of the original post remind me of this guy! We shredded him and to this day he still only has one post!

Holy crap, I'd never read that thread, but about 10 years ago my dad bought a Testarossa from some "furniture baron" who (at the time) lived in SC. It had a hole in the driver's seat and an aftermarket stereo from "a sloppy technician". That would be way too much of a coincidence.

ok, end of thread-jack.

Im sure this has been asked alot but i seached and couldnt find a straight answer.

I want to compare the NA1 NSX to the STI/Evo. I know they are different style cars on completely different platforms, but they can still be compared. (Yes i realize that the STI's/Evo's are turbo, AWD, 4dr, etc haha)

1. Handling - Stock NSX v. Stock STI/Evo
- NSX w/coilovers v. STI/Evo w/ coilovers

2. Acceleration - Stock NSX v. Stock STI/Evo
- Basic Bolt-on NSX v. Basic Bolt-on STI/Evo

Im coming from a 99 Mustang GT w/mild bolt ons, RR suspension, Brembos, etc. It hangs with the STI's and Evo's and the torque i know i will miss but thats about it. My plan is to get a higher mileaged NA1, its gonna be a DD but only get about 7k miles a year and probably see the track 2 or 3 times a year. Im pretty set on what i wanna do; coilovers, wheels/tires, interior work, intake, exhaust, test pipes, headers, tune, appearance etc.

The reason im wanting to compare the NSX vs. the STI/Evo is because just about every one of my buddies have the STI/Evo. Dont get me wrong their quick and handle amazing but i just dont wanna be another AWD turbo haha. The 4 door's arent really my thing and i also want a car that no one else really has; but that can handle well and is decently fast.

Please help me out and let me know what you think!

I believe all of these can be easily answered if you search dynos or look in the FI/Track boards. Several users have also chimed in on some of these also. You are comparing an NA vs. FI tho. It would only be fair to compare a stock Comptech NSX to a EVO or Sti lol.

Sounds like you are scared to be embarrassed that you payed x amount of dollars for a car that Could be slightly slower than an affordable 4 door car. Trust me, if you own a NSX, there will be no embarrassment, unless perhaps pulling through a Mcydees drive-thru to order some Mcdoubles with it. I park and go inside, that way I can look at my car and don't go through the hassle of curb rashes or height disadvantages haha.

With the right mods, any car can go fast, but how many can do it looking good, stylish and with prestige at a decently affordable price. Just make sure you know what you are getting into and don't buy an NSX that needs too much work done. Most NSX owners are pretty good with our cars, so you shouldn't have a problem. Mods are pricey for us, so best bet is just to save up and go FI for the dollar per HP. With the supercharger, I guess you can jump the gun and get the supporting IHE done first. Turbo apparently is the way to go if you want to have power, so look into Lovefab, and they provide their own exhaust stuff.

But when you get one, please don't call it an "X". :wink:

Yes, I hate that. Do you know how many vehicles have an X in their names? TSX, RDX, MDX, WRX, SVX, 300ZX, etc. If anything, calling it the "N" is more appropiate. Not many Ns there are... Sounds quite elusive too, like "the END" haha. IDK, me and my buddies refer to my car as the N for short, much easier and cooler sounding.

Back