NSX vs STI vs Evo ???

Im sure this has been asked alot but i seached and couldnt find a straight answer.

I want to compare the NA1 NSX to the STI/Evo. I know they are different style cars on completely different platforms, but they can still be compared. (Yes i realize that the STI's/Evo's are turbo, AWD, 4dr, etc haha)

1. Handling - Stock NSX v. Stock STI/Evo
- NSX w/coilovers v. STI/Evo w/ coilovers

2. Acceleration - Stock NSX v. Stock STI/Evo
- Basic Bolt-on NSX v. Basic Bolt-on STI/Evo

Im coming from a 99 Mustang GT w/mild bolt ons, RR suspension, Brembos, etc. It hangs with the STI's and Evo's and the torque i know i will miss but thats about it. My plan is to get a higher mileaged NA1, its gonna be a DD but only get about 7k miles a year and probably see the track 2 or 3 times a year. Im pretty set on what i wanna do; coilovers, wheels/tires, interior work, intake, exhaust, test pipes, headers, tune, appearance etc.

The reason im wanting to compare the NSX vs. the STI/Evo is because just about every one of my buddies have the STI/Evo. Dont get me wrong their quick and handle amazing but i just dont wanna be another AWD turbo haha. The 4 door's arent really my thing and i also want a car that no one else really has; but that can handle well and is decently fast.

Please help me out and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Whatever! fuck the STI and EVO Sorry bud, the economy has leaked you trolls into our forum but even as good as the sti and evo are they are not even close to the background and R&D an NSX ever went through, so in now-a-day's terms it may be better, but expierence and styling will tell you that its not. Sorry bud. Go hang out at the mall and yell at chick's in honda's. Cause you dont have one..............whatever

uhh?

I was under the impression that Prime was one of the best most respected NSX forums around...I'm guessing this guys account has been hacked:confused:. I know i posted the right question in the right section.

Wow sarge lol I don't think he was trying to troll..?? But to answer your question....stock to stock they are all pretty even in acceleration, handling, etc but you cannot compare the quality of an nsx to those cars.....nsx is an exotic where the others are not....also nsx is not cheap to play with...I know neither are the others but once you get one you will know.....I driven evo and sti's and they don't compare to the feel of owning an nsx....good luck in whatever you decide....

I appreciate the help man.. I can see why Sarge would respond like that because i put myself in that newb position. I just thought it came off as a little rude. But you gotta start somewhere right?​

Yeah don't worry about it bud...sarge is cool...I think he may have misunderstood you....but good luck on your choice....all can be fun cars....just depends which one you are looking for and it seems you already know what you want.

With all respect for the STI's and Evo's out there, I think you are talking about some very different cars.

Both STI and Evo are reasonable quick in standard trim and can be extremely quick cars in modified form. But whatever to do to them, both cars are essentially still four door sedans.
Just making a car very quick doesn't mean it suddenly becomes a sports car (in my opinion).

In my (mildly modded) NSX, I have never had trouble keeping up with standard or mildly moded STI's or Evo's, especially when speeds were above 100mph. It's especially below about 70-80mph that the other definately have an advantage and even more so when the road is wet.

One's an exotic, the others are shoe boxes on steroids, fast but fugly, handle but who cares. Make your choice, be happy!

Some other things to consider - maintenance and # of seats.

The NSX isn't terribly expensive to maintain compared to other exotic cars, but when you are replacing $400 worth of rear tires every 8,000-9,000 miles instead of every 20,000+ miles (and front tires every 15,000 or so), it begins to add up. I'd assume other "normal" maintenance is similarly more expensive for the NSX than it would be on an STI or Evo.

The NSX has, um, 2 seats. If that works for whatever you have planned, cool. But don't plan on hauling a bunch of friends, camping gear, guitar equipment, or whatever with an NSX. That one is a little obvious, but just wanted to throw it out there.

(oh, a little time spent on grammar and punctuation goes a long way on Prime...)

Good Luck with the search.

-DKA
'04 Rio Yellow / Onyx

If you are comparing the "ownership experiences" then the NSX is hard to beat. You will get twice the number of head-turns as the rally cars, and if you get a decent example of an NSX, the difference in refinement will be evident. IMO, it sounds infinitely better than the turbo 4s (I also have an MR2 Turbo, so I am not just arbitrarily hating).

If you are wondering if you will get left behind on a track, that rather depends... Driving skill being equal, it should be fairly close stock vs. stock. The rally cars, imo are a bit more forgiving at the limit by virtue of AWD/anti-idiot computers/etc. You just have to come to terms with the fact that they are a boost knob away from destroying you on the straights (until they grenade their engines). The NSX already has one of the best sports car chassis ever built, but more power = more $$,$$$.

On the negative side, vs. the Mustang you're coming from, you will need to learn how to judge where/on what you will scrape the NSX (especially if you drop it on coil-overs), and get used to more expensive repair bills (need to replace a fender with a new one? $2000 please, need the timing belt changed? $1400, new complete engine ~$don't ask).

More experienced folks will likely comment.

Last edited:
Whatever! fuck the STI and EVO Sorry bud, the economy has leaked you trolls into our forum but even as good as the sti and evo are they are not even close to the background and R&D an NSX ever went through, so in now-a-day's terms it may be better, but expierence and styling will tell you that its not. Sorry bud. Go hang out at the mall and yell at chick's in honda's. Cause you dont have one..............whatever

Sarge you are an ass:biggrin:

I concur....my front lip is scuffed from being lowered on coilovers...good thing the lip is only 120 bucks...hehe

Spase- sarge is giving that military tough love....lol :D

Last edited:
The nsx is slower,harder to get into,low on space,I can barely hear the great bose system because of the damn engine /exhaust noise.And worst of all it only has two seats:confused: I mean WTF two seats:eek:

i just dont wanna be another AWD turbo.

4 door's arent really my thing

just about every one of my buddies have the STI/Evo. i want a car that no one else really has

Please help me out and let me know what you think!

I'm quite confused as to why you're comparing anything to a STi/Evo since that isn't what you want. Why don't you compare an NSX to a Elise or anything else that meets your own stated preferences?

These NSX comparison threads can come off as quite annoying sometimes. Sure most cars today are better & faster than the NSX, but they are FUGLY. They are however fun to chase down at the track.

LOL at Sarge's answer. Bad cup of coffee this morning eh? :wink::tongue::biggrin:

With all respect for the STI's and Evo's out there, I think you are talking about some very different cars.

Both STI and Evo are reasonable quick in standard trim and can be extremely quick cars in modified form. But whatever to do to them, both cars are essentially still four door sedans.
Just making a car very quick doesn't mean it suddenly becomes a sports car (in my opinion).

Im not considering getting an STI/Evo, i just wanted to compare them.(I KNOW THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT STYLE CARS haha) But you can compare any car with any car.

And i agree 100% with making a car quick doesnt really change the style of the car or make it a sports car. haha thats actually why i dont like the STI/Evo.

On the negative side, vs. the Mustang you're coming from, you will need to learn how to judge where/on what you will scrape the NSX (especially if you drop it on coil-overs)

Trust me, my mustang front lip is about 3" off the ground, and my headers are about 3.5" off the ground. Driving slow n sideways over EVERYTHING is stuck in my blood. I even forget sometimes when im driving my friends trucks. :)

The NSX has, um, 2 seats. If that works for whatever you have planned, cool. But don't plan on hauling a bunch of friends, camping gear, guitar equipment, or whatever with an NSX. That one is a little obvious, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Thats also the reason why i want the 2 seater, I will now have an excuse to not drive my friends. I took the rear seats outta the mustang for a while just so i didnt have to drive them.

I really appreciate all the help guys!

Last edited:
Why is everyone bashing on the Evo n STI? Did everyone forget that these are based (tuned down version) on world class rally cars? There is just as much R&D into these car as the X if not more.. They have semi-built 4 bangers capable of handling a lot of HP reliably.. I personally don't think they are ugly, everything is functional and put on there for a purpose...

Not sayin the X isn't a great car, but these cars are great too..

Last edited:
Nsx you feel connected to the car. To me, it like F1. Great car if your single.

I would love to have an Evo so I can put baby seats in the back. Did I mention it has four door. :smile:

Danny

Last edited:
Did everyone forget that these are based (tuned down version) on world class rally cars? There is just as much R&D into these car as the X if not more..

Mate have you even looked at a real rally car up close!!!

Just cause it looks like one does not mean it is one.

picard.jpg

Just have one of each. :biggrin:

Seriously.

addendum: Consider who you want to hang around with. I go to all the NSX events year round. I probably wouldn't go to a STI/EVO tuner event unless in involved a racetrack. You'll find that the company you keep may be a good hint at which car you'd like better. In my opinion horsepower and handling are darn near useless on public roads.

Last edited:
I see things haven't changed much around here. I'm just curious, of those who bash the STI or EVO, how many of you have actually driven one?

I have had 2 NSX's, a 1996 that I had supercharged and then a 1997 which I also had supercharged. I've had a Porsche 996TT and Ferrari 360 Modena and now a Challenge Stradale. My daily driver is a new Mitsubishi EVO X MR. For those of you quick to criticize, the car is 291 hp stock, 370 hp now with just an ECU reflash and drop in filter, all wheel drive, active center differential, active yaw control, 14 inch brembo brakes, eibach springs, bilstein struts, 6-speed paddle shift manual (not automatic) transmission, recaro buckets, BBS wheels, 650 watt Rockford Fosgate sound system with 9 speakers and 30g HD, HD based navigation, blue tooth hands free phone, adjustable HID lights, and leather/alcantara interior all this is standard with the exception of the reflash and filter. The car does not have the styling or head-turning appeal of the NSX but it is one very nice car.

If anyone in the Phoenix area want to go for a ride in the EVO or the Ferrari, let me know.

Back