NSX vs Porsche 911

Hello -

I live in the U.S. and I'm considering purchasing either a used NSX or a used 911. I only have about $30k to spend. Which car would give me the most for my money? That is, which one could I purchase newer, with fewer miles, more enjoyment, etc., generally speaking? I live in the Great Lakes area so I wouldn't drive the car at all when there is snow on the ground.

I think I could be happy with a non-Turbo 911, but I think in my price range I would still be looking at late 70's or early 80's model 911s. It seems like I could get a newer NSX for the same money. What about costs of ownership, etc.?

Thanks very much

You could easily be shopping for a mid eighties 911. Nice cars. I have owned 9 Porsches. It all depends what you want to drive. So long as you have service history on either and factor that into your decission, you should be OK. Two completely different cars IMO.

$30k can put you into either a 1991 NSX or 911 (forget Turbo, that isnt happening for $30k).

The bigger question is what is your ownership budget? Also, what is your "project" budget?

Ownership of the Porsche (ESP an older Porsche) is much more expensive than the NSX (and the NSX *may* be too expensive already).

Also, for either of these cars, with a car that old, you're not going to want to limit yourself to local area. You're going to have to have budget for flights to see cars, local inspections by qualified independents and, probably, shipping of the car (unless you get lucky locally).

All things to consider.

At that price you could get a 964 (1989-1994) or perhaps a higher mileage 993 as well.

The older 911s don't like being stored over the winter and tend to leak a bit of oil. Maintenance costs will be significantly higher, all things being equal.

Drive several examples of both. There is no objective 'right' answer to this question. If you love the 911, it is a legitmate choice over an NSX.

$30 will get you into a good 901 bodied porsche.
I can get my porsches repaired cheaper than the nsx. There are many experienced (factory trained) independent porsce mechanics
out there. Not many NSX mechanics with the same level of experience (that are independent).

I would choose the car you like more. They are very different cars. Best of luck- Jolt

It is true you can find more independent Porsche shops, because there are more Porsches.

That said, having owned numerous types and years of 911's. even using independents it will cost more to maintain a 911 than a NSX.

Just in the amount of oil used on an air cooled car, never mind the removal of heat and underbody components on the C-2/4 onward when changing oil..

Examples:
With my NSX I pay $65.00 an hour labor, $26.00 oil change / $60.00 for Mobile 1 (North Hampton Acura).

The cheapest I ever paid on a Porsche was $75.00 - $85.00 hour. My oil changes were anywhere from $80.00 - $90.00 dino oil.

I love both cars and will probably own another 911. But honestly, the only thing I miss about the 911 is the rear drop seats. When down they are great for luggage or a dog.

Both are great to drive: drive them both and buy what you like. If you if you go P-car do your homework. Some models demand more attention than others.

Good luck!

Don't know if it is a consideration, but the NSX turns far
more heads. My sis has a Ruf slant and my car turns
the heads twice as often.........until she hits the right
pedal!!!!

Steve said:
Don't know if it is a consideration, but the NSX turns far
more heads. My sis has a Ruf slant and my car turns
the heads twice as often.........until she hits the right
pedal!!!!

This one can go either way. Having recently moved to a 911, Im kind of glad to not be attracting as much attention.

The other side of it is that, if you're in it for the attention, everyone on earth knows what the Porsche is, respects it, and acknowledges it as a symbol of wealth.

The NSX leads you to endless conversations of "its a what? THAT's an Acura??? Honda makes THAT thing? Really?" And lets not forget "uh... you paid $90k for an Acura?" (Ive heard that one more than a few times since I had an 03)

Because Acura has such a dreadfully boring and midmarket model line until WHAM, the NSX and the NSX is so incredibly insignificant from a sales perspective for the past 7 years or so, its a very strange car to own. The looks and exotic stance of a Ferrari with a pedigree that doesnt make sense to most people.

Amazing how Honda let that happen...

For 30K, you should be able to get into the 964 series of 911 which I would not recommend. They used heat shields on the bottom of the engine and this led to premature valve failure. Also, they have the fat bumper problem. The best 911 to get would be the 87-89 911 which is the last iteration of the classic 911 or the 993 series. That being said and owning both an 89 911 as well as a 98 NSX, no contest. The NSX is by far a better vehicle. The early 911 is a "true" sports car with all of the quirks and rawness of a race car for the street. It has none of the refinement for an every day driver like an air conditioner which blows cold air or integrated controls. The newer 993 series is pretty nice and is much more like the NSX. Newer 911s (996) don't have the road feel of the older models. My 911 stores fine in the winter and doesn't leak a drop. Uses 1 quart every 1500 miles but this is with no track time. Maintenance costs for the cars are similar. The 911 turns heads, especially younger women (75 mph and women asking me to pull over for a ride). The NSX rides better, handles better, faster, more civilized, better road feel, and in both Chicago and Detroit, it is parked in FRONT of the restaurant, not in a lot or near the front. Porsche may speak wealth to some people but it is also recognized as common or ordinary since there are so many of them. Last words, the 911 is FOR SALE for way under 30K.

Tim

jorligan said:
The newer 993 series is pretty nice and is much more like the NSX. Newer 911s (996) don't have the road feel of the older models.

This is really subjective. personally, I think the 996 is superior to the 993 in every measurable way and it will out perform and out handle it without fail.

I think what's attached to the 993 is a lot of nostalgia since it is the last air-cooled 911 and the 996 shares the Boxster nose.

Before I bought the 996 I test drove a few 993s and, as a non-Porsche neutral guy, I saw no appeal at all in the 993.

The 996, on the other hand, I find every bit as driveable and civil as my 03 NSX was and, while totally different in character, feels equally capable.

jorligan said:
The newer 993 series is pretty nice and is much more like the NSX. Newer 911s (996) don't have the road feel of the older models.
Funny you should say that, because I don't think the 993 is anything like the NSX. In fact, when I drove one, I was amazed at just how different they are, with the 993 totally lacking in road feel compared with the NSX.

Before I got the NSX I too decided I needed to test drive the C4 Convertible (Porsche, not Chevy). From the outside, looked like every Porsche out there, car was brand new, not prepped, plastic still on the seats, the whole works. I loved the ride, the feel, the sound, the amenities were there, certainly more abundant than in the NSX, so why you ask didn't I get the Porsche.....Good question, in my area they're much more common than Corvettes, you see yourself coming and going, and chances are if I walked out into a parking lot, I wouldn't be able to pick out my car easily. Besides, when I looked at the car, it just didn't cause any emotions, and let's face it, when buying a "sports" car, it's all about emotions. I've loved the NSX since I first laid eyes on it, and it still evokes the same feelings, pride that it's mine, and each time I turn the key, and put my right foot down, a smile across my lips. To each his/her own. Spookyup, enjoy your new ride, but keep in touch, you might be back one day!!! In the meantime, here in the NorthEast, it's gorgeous out, so let's go for a drive!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Have you considered possibly getting a 968? I know they are only a 4 cylinder car, but they are pretty reliable, have decent power (somewhere around 250-260 hp if I remember correctly) and will be almost (if not more fun) to drive than the 911. Plus the fact that they only made them for 3 years (93-95) means that you will still have a somewhat exclusive car for way under $30K.

My reference to the 993 being more like the NSX is that it is more civilized with better amenities, not that it drives like the NSX. In regards to driving, the NSX has much more road feel and more like the older 911, you can "feel" the road and how the car responds without it being fatiguing. By older, I mean the 87-89. I actually felt that the 996 series is more numb when it comes to road feel than the 993, more like my BMW. This is what actually turned us off the new 911 turbo.

jorligan said:
My reference to the 993 being more like the NSX is that it is more civilized with better amenities, not that it drives like the NSX. In regards to driving, the NSX has much more road feel and more like the older 911, you can "feel" the road and how the car responds without it being fatiguing. By older, I mean the 87-89. I actually felt that the 996 series is more numb when it comes to road feel than the 993, more like my BMW. This is what actually turned us off the new 911 turbo.

Eep! We're really far apart on this one. Personally, I don't find any BMW to be numb at all (blasting around LA in an SMG E46 M3 is one of the best times Ive ever had in a sports car), but the 996 Im driving now is loads and loads more visceral than the 330xi I owned last year. And I think the 80s 911s are such a massive challenge to drive (the difficulty of them made them a legend among "true enthusiasts" (masochists)), that I dont think they can be remotely compared to the NSX which is ALWAYS "criticized" as being "too easy" for a super car. When the critics say that, i think they're specifically thinking of cars like the old 911 that are "not easy". As for the 996, it doesnt feel any less visceral to me than the NSX did, although the character of the car is really very, very different.

RPM217 - Thanks! Im not going anywhere man... Much like MYNSX, I will continue to haunt the forum and inflate my post count! After all, I'm a Patron... Gotta monitor my investment!

ccns23 - the 968 is a good option as well. That's a really great and often underappreciated car. It's my favorite of the front engine Porsches.

My comparison to the earlier 911 is the overall feeling of connection to the road. You can feel what the car is doing compared to the road condition. The newer 911s (996) feel much less connected as compared to the NSX and I think that they are much more like my M3, the car simply feels heavy for lack of a better term. It could be that my M3 is more of an anomaly since it has 19 wheels with larger than stock width. They handle well but I guess I simply don't feel as comfortable pushing them. This has been echoed by a friend of mine who is an instructor for both the Porsche and BMW clubs. I have never had my Porsche on the track (Cabriolet) but I have driven other 911s on the track. The 911 wasn't difficult to drive on the track, you simply had to avoid certain bad habits and this is the "legend." Currently, the much touted GT3 is reportedly similar to the 911s of the past (Haven't driven the GT3 so going by reports only). You're right, the NSX is easy to drive in comparison to many "supercars" but my supercar experience is limited to earlier Ferraris (308 and Testarossa), a Diablo VT, Lotus Esprit and various Porsches. The NSX transmission shifts like it reads your mind and the throws are perfect. The steering is precise and feels quick. The gearing in the 6 speed is extremely well mated to the characteristics of the engine. But more importantly, I feel more connected to the road and the car. I'm sure that some of the instructors in the group could comment more eloquently but to me, it feels right. I have that sensation of feeling right (differently but still feels right) with earlier 911s which I never experienced with the 996 series or the E46 M3. The earlier M3 to me feels better than the current iteration. This is just my simple and inexperienced opinion.

Tim

I guess its highly subjective and extremely subtle. Having driven NSX's for years now (98 and 03), I really dont feel such a big difference going to the 996. Don't get me wrong, the characteristics are totally different, but personally, I dont perceive the NSX being more "connected" somehow.

For what its worth, I've had a fair amount of seat time in the M3 and I didnt find that it felt heavy or disconnected either.

This is definitely one of those highly personal issues, I think, that is just going to be different for everyone (casual and professional drivers included).

It just so happened that on Wednesday evening I stopped by a good friends house for a visit, he's kind of a car nut that changes his ride as often as I change my socks. He got rid of an 03 SL500 last November, replaced it with an S55, gave that to his wife last month and got himself the new 40th Anniversary issue 911 ( he had a Boxster S before the SL) He said let's go for a ride and flipped me the keys. I've driven plenty of Porsche's from the 01 911 Turbo to the 03 C4S and my impressions are as follows. The 04 Anniversary edition is no different than the plain edition other than badging. The clutch catches very high, much more dificult to launch than the NSX. The steering felt great, very connected and responsive, the gear box is OK, not NSX smooth, but adequate. The car felt heavy, not nearly as quick as the NSX does (seat of the pants feel), the numbers 0-60 are very similar, but the feel of speed, the sound of acceleration are not as visceral as they are in our cars. Nice car, to me not an "exotic" ride is very comfortable, amenities are plentiful, it's "pretty", but not gorgeous. JMHO FWIW

Thought I'd add my 2 cents here as I own an NSX, but also 2 Porsche 911's (an '87 Turbo Look Cabriolet and a '95 911 Coupe).

First off, for the $30,000 you have to spend, you could buy a nice, moderate mileage early ('91-'93) NSX. On the Porsche side, for the $30,000, I would recommend either an '87 to '89 911 Turbo Look Coupe with the G50 transmission or a mid to higher mileage '95 911. I would stay away from the '90-94 models. The Turbo Look (M491 optioned) cars had the look and suspension and brakes of the Turbo, without the Turbo engine, and they are pretty rare, but worth the effort to locate. The '95 is a better, more modern car vs. the '87 to '89, and most Porsche purists consider the G50 transmissioned '87 to '89 911 and the 993's ('95 to '98) the best Porsches ever made.

The NSX is the easier car to drive fast, looks much more exotic, and is a bit cheaper to maintain. I love my Porsches a whole lot, but will probably never sell the NSX unless I upgrade to a '97 and newer model.

As a prior 911 owner... I can assure that it will NOT be my last. I am guessing that once I tire of my current NSX, it will likely be my last. I sold the 911 because it was a convertible and I wanted a coupe for driving school. During the search I stumbled across my current NSX. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but it will definitely be a once in this lifetime toy. 911s on the otherhand I think have much more character and each year and model has a very different one from the last. The beauty of this fact is that it negates the tendency of each new model obscuring the last. I had a '90, my father has a '79, I have driven 993s and 996s, each are totally different. I personally favor 993s over all others but would quite possibly replace my NSX with another 964 (90-93).

As far as maintenance... its the same as with any other car. Find a good independant guy and it won;t cost you much more than anything else out there (baring any monumental issues like replacing oil lines).

As far as used, get a thorough PPI (just like any other car). My 964 never, and I mean NEVER, dropped a drip oil, however another guy in my building has one and everytime he moves the thing there is an exxon valdez size oil slick under his car. YOU NEED HISTORY ON EVERY 911!

Also, log onto rennlist.com they have their discussion boards divided by year/model. You will get a wealth of information and be able to make a more informed decision. At the bare minimum you'll get an idea of which models you should test drive.

Do keep in mind that with every new iteration, the 911 suspension continued to evolve and on the track the newer ones (964 and newer) are substantially easier to handle than the earlier ones.

Dollar for dollar, any NSX out there will most certainly perform better than a 30k Porsche. A 1990 911 does not have the same kind of power that a 996 has. Oh ya, and a 1990 911 has this horrible little problem. The flywheel is fluid damped, runs about $3k, and is likely to break. I broke my Dad's when I was 16 :(. Seriously though, a 996 model Porsche compares with the NSX pretty well as far as performance goes, but the earlier models are quite a bit slower (aside from turbos $$$). I chose a '95 NSX over an '01 911 last year when I bought my car. Yes, the NSX cost me about $10k less to buy, but that wasn't the decision maker. Some people like the handling of Porsche's, some people like the handling of Ferrari's. I prefer the Ferrari, and the NSX is nearly identical in handling to a 360 Ferrari (minus the steering feel).

Driver would be the diff between the two (performance wise) , But.......
My NSX has about half the brakes of all the porsches I've owned.
(74-99).- Jolt

I agree with Jolt. I am not sure where some people get their stats on 911s but I happen to just receive a back issue of road and track that compared the '91 NSX to the '91 Carrera 2 and ZR1. The NSX was the slowest. When looking at newer 911s remember that there is a significant performance difference between a Carrera 2 and a Carrera 4 (heavy understeering pig).

In addition I can tell you that my '90 911 Cab felt much quicker (when in fact it was about the same) because of the huge amount of torque down low. Had I had a coupe it would cetainly outpaced my 3.0L NSX.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my 996. I had a 90 964 C4 and wasn't so fond of it. The 996 handles a ton better and is easier to drive. Not to mention the extra 50 HP it has. I love my NSX also, but they are two different machines. Different feel, different look. I will probably never be without some kind of Porsche.

Back