NSX vs. M-Coupe/Roadster

Wondering if anyone can give me their experience in an BMW M-Coupe or Roadster versus the 91-96 NSX manuals. I've owned both the M-Coupe and Roadster previously, and am looking to buy a NSX, so I'd appreciate any comparisons. Thanks in advance!

I rented an MRoadster when I was in San Fransisco last summer to go on a drive with the NSXer's and I could not keep up in the twisties. I did not feel confident in the car compared to my NSX. I was impressed by the power though. I did not like the softness of the ride, the shifter felt like a wet noodle, and overall I felt like I was driving a Miata. I was at one time considering buying an MRoadster to have along with my NSX, but that is no longer a possibility. Even though the NSX may have less power, it is far superior in every other category imho.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters which one, both handle essentially the same. The only difference between the s54 and s52 roadsters are that the newer ones have the springs of the coupe. That helps a little by not by much. The main fault of the M roadster/coupe is the stock suspension and the use of sem-trailing arms in the rear. The stock suspension is way too soft under compression. With aftermarket suspension, the M's will inspire a lot more confidence, but still the semi-trailing will be the weak link so most drivers will do better in the NSX when doing spirited or track driving. Now, if you're an experienced driver/racer, you'll do good with anything. =)

Me, I'm getting ready to sell my '00 M roadster for a '98+ NSX. You just can't beat Japanese reliability rolled into a race car like package. Also, I'm a bit tired of being cramped in the M roadster (was originally for my wife). Obviously the NSX or M roadster/coupe isn't for everyone and you can only take everyone's comparisons with a grain of salt since not everyone possesses the same driving styles or has the same needs. I say, go test drive one. For people that dream or think about new cars, a test drive usually gives you a final answer just like it did for DocL. Best of luck to you.

jwocky said:
Did you rent the s52 (240hp) engine or the s54 (321 hp) engine M-Roadster?

jwocky said:
Did you rent the s52 (240hp) engine or the s54 (321 hp) engine M-Roadster?

It was a brand new 2003, so I assume it was the 321 hp. Another reason why I didn't try to push the cars limit was because I was not familiar with the roads, and as previously stated I only rented it for one day. What is also interesting is that my girlfriend did not feel as safe in the BMW as she does in my NSX, and I drive my NSX like I stole it sometimes.

Ah yea it makes sense then that it was significantly more powerful than an early year NSX. Does anyone out there have experience in the 240hp M-Roadster/Coupe and can compare it to NSX? I've owned both the 240hp M-Roadster and Coupe before, and am looking for comparisons.

You really don't have to push it to the limit to tell that the suspension is soft. Your gf probably felt less safe in the M since it's interior feels much smaller. Also, quick changes in directions would reveal the soupy feeling in the suspension, which would make me feel less safe compared to a more planted car. =)

DocL said:
It was a brand new 2003, so I assume it was the 321 hp. Another reason why I didn't try to push the cars limit was because I was not familiar with the roads, and as previously stated I only rented it for one day. What is also interesting is that my girlfriend did not feel as safe in the BMW as she does in my NSX, and I drive my NSX like I stole it sometimes.

I agree. The stock suspension in my M-Roadster and M-Coupe were both way too soft. There was excessive squat and dive with the cars. H&R/Bilstein shocks and springs cured it right up though.

The NSX will gladly torches any M-roadster in a race. I have done this personally, and magazine facts will back me up on it.

I drove the M coupe with 240HP. It was a ton of fun, but it was WAY too small and it looked like a shoe!

CRX B16B VTEC said:
I thought they were all 321 bhp?

In europe they may well have been. Remember that the US E36 M3 got a different engine than the rest of the world. That engine, the S52 US, is a 3.2 liter with 240 hp/236 ft/lb torque, and was used for the initial US models of the M-Roadster and M-Coupe, through the 2000 model year.

When we got the E46 M3 in 2001, they upgraded the engine in the US M-Coupe and M-Roadster to that engine (S54), but using a version that made 315 hp. due to the differences in measurement of hp in the US and europe (approximate 5hp loss in the conversion from european to US hp.) and changes to the exhaust and emissions systems for packaging and US emissions reasons.

I would think so, but I don't know for sure. The US E36 M3 was cheaper, that was part of the point of giving it a different engine (others being to fit an automatic transmission and the different driving climates of the US and europe).

Back