NSX versus Ferrari - Fun and Costs

You don't need to give a reason to own a Ferrari, its built on racing heritage as was Honda from its start. Don't expect an Nsx to stir your blood under 6000rpm:biggrin: the 328 is nearly full 2 and half seconds slower to 60mph so there goes the fun right there. If your budget is $50k I would add another 10k to it and buy an F355 with major tune up done or buy an Nsx and save some. You have waited long enough buy something more modern than a 328.

The 328 is not 2.5 seconds slower to 60. C&D's test of a 1986 328 GTS says 5.6 secs.

The wiki reports 5.5 secs for a GTB and 5.9 for a GTS - close to a NA1 NSX.

I drove my NSX today to work - and the first two gears to 60 were plenty of fun with the window down (so I can hear the intake). Then traffic :mad:

I'll add that I would love to own a fcar someday but it will have to be a 355 or better. I just don't think the 328 or 348 is good enough to put up with.

Another add: It's damn hot in Austin right now (~ 100 degrees F) and the A/C works perfectly in my NSX!

Too many factors go into cost of ownership. Fcar parts for older cars are expensive and a long wait. The 360 is the first modern car that was "reliable" by Ferrari because of the NSX. I would say test drive whatever you want to buy first and see which one you like best, cost of ownership is really unpredictable.

Big D is right!...if you owe on the car - then use it as a weekend toy and finish paying her off. If you own her out-right, then drive her all the time! The new Ferraris are more reliable than the earlier models...thank God!:eek:

Dam - A proud X-Men :cool:

I'm torn between a 328 and an NSX.

get the nsx.

own 355 and nsx and the 355 its no comparison in terms of driving pleasure. i havent driving the 355 in about 3 month. that says something.

esp the 328 is going to be out dated and shifting with the HH shift gate sucks.

maintenance is defintily more expensive.

i would get the reliable, fun, yet stylish nsx.:smile:

last time i heard, my friend paid in excess of $8k for valve adjustment, timing belt etc.

Yup that's pretty much why I decided on the NSX over a used F-Car. Maintenance costs. Maybe someday when I have more disposable income :cool: ....For now I'd rather travel with the extra $$$ I have. :smile:

So the question to answer for me is: How much fun is your NSX to drive? Does it "stir the blood" the way you hoped it would?
Stock - no, it did'nt do that as much as i'd hoped when i first got it. It's too civilized, but maybe thats a good thing if you're gonna drive it daily?

A couple of mods later - exhaust, intake, chassies ect. Its not quite as gentle anymore, but it definetly stirs your blood! :biggrin:

I've owned both an 85' 308qv(328's cousin) and a 92 NSX. They are very different cars and both a ton of fun. The 328 although a little more refined than a 308qv are still pretty raw sportscars. That and maintenance are why Ferraris are usually weekend toys and not daily drivers. Timing belts are a 30k mile/5 year routine($4500), vs 7 yr/ 90k miles for NSX($2500). I have had great luck with the 308qv and have put about $500/yr into it over 3 years. That includes oil, tires , injectors etc. All routine stuff. (PO did the major)
When I bought the NSX it needed, 3 speaker amps, CCU fix, re-solder main relay , replace aftermarket airbox etc, + tires, fluid changes etc. So they both cost a few bucks to keep running right but they are worth it.
If it's going to be a daily driver, the NSX would be the hands down choice for least expensive to drive/mile and overall comfort (gas mileage too, if that matters). But the Ferrari , especially the 328 isn't that bad IF you get a good one. I think every sports car enthusiast should own both at sometime in their life, they are two very unique and exciting experiences.

Timing belts... 7 yr/ 90k miles for NSX($2500).
I'd like to interject in regards to this point, as we have a prospective NSX owner needing info'/insights.

'91-'96 NSX/NSX-T have a 6yr/90k mile interval for their timing-belt service, which often includes water-pump change (due to amount of shared-labor involved), whereas the '97-'05 NSX/NSX-T have 7yr/105k mile interval.

An Acura dealer service-center will charge $1400 - $1600 for this. If the OEM parts are acquired elsewhere, you can potentially save $100 - $200 off that total.

If an independent-shop/competent-technician does the service, it can be done for $1000 - $1200 (or less, depending on the hourly-labor rate).

Often times, an NSX owner will have deferred other maint'/service intervals such as the the 2yr/30k & 4yr/60k ones. These may include replacement of brake/abs fluids, engine/transmission oils, coolant flush, coolant hoses, plugs, air/fuel filters, valve-adjustment, and other things I can't recall at this moment... lol! These things generally cost $600-$800 at an Acura dealer service center, about $400-$600 w/ an independent-shop/competent-technician. Of-course acquiring the OEM replacement parts from an Acura parts vendor can reduce the cost of materials approx. 20% - 30%.

F355 car 30k is 5-7K depending on the shop.

parts alone are 1600$.

for the nsx. usually with labor you can get out the door for 1600-1900 depending on shop.

parts are much cheaper and you can get them everywhere.

F cars you can only get them through a couple of special retailers online.

F car's cost of ownership comes down if you can do your own maintenance. 30k for the 355, someplaces charge 30hrs.

stick to the nsx, you here asking questions for a reason.

I was too looking for an F-car. F355 to be exact, similar to the 348 so I think this is applicable . this is my summary:

NSX:
- killer looks, very Ferrari like, but lacks the "brand name"
- Reliable
- low maintenance cost
- can be modified to perform much better than a 355.

F355:
- Killer looks, exhaust note to die for, BUT,
- Melting interior parts (this is what did it for me)
- poor fit and finish (something else I could not get over)
- high maintenance cost (livable, but hey, I am pretty frugal)

my 2 cents...

P.S. if youre not even going to step up to a 348, and going to a 328, I would say NSX hands down...

F355 car 30k is 5-7K depending on the shop.

parts alone are 1600$.

for the nsx. usually with labor you can get out the door for 1600-1900 depending on shop.

parts are much cheaper and you can get them everywhere.

F cars you can only get them through a couple of special retailers online.

F car's cost of ownership comes down if you can do your own maintenance. 30k for the 355, someplaces charge 30hrs.

stick to the nsx, you here asking questions for a reason.

Great post.

BTW, the cost of ownership for a Ferrari and NSX has been guesstimated a few times and the average numbers I've seen were at least $0.80/mile for the Ferrari and that was calculated using a newer Ferrari (360/430). That number obviously increases as time goes on (the car gets older, things break, parts get harder to find and more expensive). The formulas I saw had the high-mileage Ferraris somewhere like $1.50/mile. :eek:

The cost per mile for an NSX is somewhere around $0.08-0.10/mile.

Regardless of their perceived reliability (I think many of the "breakdown" stories we hear are a bit exaggerated, especially on the newer F cars) the cost to own a Ferrari is always going to be much higher than a Honda/NSX.

If you're concerned in the slightest I would really urge you to stay away from the Ferrari, especially pre-355 models. The 328 or the 348 will simply not give you the day-in-day-out reliability and overall problem-free driving the NSX will. And the regular service for the NSX is comparable to other Hondas and the service intervals are much greater than the Ferrari.

You may also consider buying the car with maintance done.

Drive it for a year then sell it without spending a penny:smile:

get the nsx.

own 355 and nsx and the 355 its no comparison in terms of driving pleasure. i havent driving the 355 in about 3 month. that says something.

esp the 328 is going to be out dated and shifting with the HH shift gate sucks.

maintenance is defintily more expensive.

i would get the reliable, fun, yet stylish nsx.:smile:

Why haven't you driven the F355 in 3 months? I'm curious because I've thought about getting one for a weekend fun car (like look and sound better than 360, and cheaper) although I wouldn't expect any performance improvement over my 2005 NSX. Is it just not that much more fun?

On the Tire Wear Issue for the NSX. If you aligned the rear toe to zero instead -2 deg or whatever stock is, that largerly eliminates that problem. Of course the purist will be appaulled by that statement. I have my alignment setting as suggested in the facts for tire wear and don't notice much difference. If you track it, that may be a different story.

I want to drive 348 one of these days. I think I'll put a super charger on the NSX before I buy one though.

from my experience with italian cars, if you don't drive them they will break. unfortunately in older ferraris' case, if you drive it, it will break too.:wink:

Any you think the Ferrari has less problems? or cheaper to maintain? Drive a Ferrari the same amount of miles as an NSX and your expenses, headaches are triple or higher for the Ferrari. Maybe you dont hear much complaints about Ferraris because most have less than 15,000 miles in their entire existence. After paying for their first few Ferrari tuneups, the owners stop driving their Ferraris. :p

But if I had real money to burn... I'd get a Lamborghini

Greetings

A friend of mine spent just under $10K for the 30K tuneup on a Countach. It took about 45 days to be completed.

Do you really want a Lambo?

Cheers,
Martin

You don't need to give a reason to own a Ferrari, its built on racing heritage as was Honda from its start. Don't expect an Nsx to stir your blood under 6000rpm:biggrin: the 328 is nearly full 2 and half seconds slower to 60mph so there goes the fun right there. If your budget is $50k I would add another 10k to it and buy an F355 with major tune up done or buy an Nsx and save some. You have waited long enough buy something more modern than a 328.

I'm not sure where you are finding 355s for 60k but thats not happening. And if you do find one trust me its because it has issues. I had a 308 for 5 years and it was very reliable but still, they are expensive. Major service including the TB every 5 yrs or 30kmiles will set you back $3500-$4000 at a good independent. Its not the engine thats going to cost you a lot, well hopefully not. Its all the little things, slow windows, bad AC a sagging door hinge, leaking brake caliper. They are old cars now and just cost to upkeep. If you want the F car you should get it. I loved my 308 but am glad I sold it and bought the NSX. The NSX is fast, looks great, you hardly ever see them and its just nice every time I drive it I feel solid. I would take it on a trip anywhere. I took the 308 on an 1100 mile round trip and the car ran great. The problem was the WHOLE time I was driving it I was worried it would break down on the PA turnpike. When I got home to my driveway I was relieved. Get the Fcar so you can finally stop wondering. You'll love it. Then once it's out of your system get the NSX. You'll love that too. Good luck.

Obviously daily driving the NSX will increase the maintence costs and depreciation vs. the F-Car sitting in the garage. So it is reasonable the net costs could be similar. But one car you actually get to drive and the other will just be pretty to look at. Everyone knows the a ferrari is a big gamble when it comes to maintenence costs. Do you feel Lucky???:smile:

I bought mine as a weekend toy, but realistically I only drive it once or twice a month. So for me, YES! it does "stir the blood":biggrin: Especially on a twisty road or on the freeway. I will say that I don't like driving it in traffic or in town. The clutch is pretty stiff and my left leg gets tired. It is geared for top end and seems to like cruising above 80mph...but it feels more like 55mph.

If your worried about depreciation, then I think an early car is the way to go as the maintenece costs will be the same with less depreciation. Not many people want a high mile late model NSX whereas high mile early cars with up to date maintenence still fetch somewhere around $23-25K. You can't go wrong.

Just be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable NSX tech and pay extra for a compression check and leak down test. Only buy a car with fully documented maintenence history and you will enjoy problem free ownership.

Good Luck

Sorry to quote Big_D so late in the game here but he and Ron98 simply nail it (Ron is a well recommended NSX mechanic/tuner out here in Cali if ya don't know).

I have an '01 and dropped a bit more cash than the early year folks, but I can tell you it's a dream to drive, look at, and maintain. I was set on a 355 as the next purchase (which I would recommend over the 308/328/348), but a friend's nephew is a certified Ferrari tech and I've learned quite a few things from him.

Repair/service costs can be truly brutal.

You also have to watch for converted "Challenge" cars. They'll beat the hell out of a Ferrari Challenge, clean it up and sell it to someone who doesn't understand the Ferrari culture.

The cost of entry is a bit rough. I'm looking at 10 year old 355's and they are going for $70-100K.

I still love 'em (I am Italian, by heritage so I guess it's in the blood), but I'm looking to go Lotus for the next toy, since you have light weight, killer handling, and a reliable (and self-serviceable) Toyota power plant.

Last edited:
On the Tire Wear Issue for the NSX. If you aligned the rear toe to zero instead -2 deg or whatever stock is, that largerly eliminates that problem. Of course the purist will be appaulled by that statement. I have my alignment setting as suggested in the facts for tire wear and don't notice much difference. If you track it, that may be a different story.

I want to drive 348 one of these days. I think I'll put a super charger on the NSX before I buy one though.

This is correct. The less aggressive the rear toe settings the more life you'll get from the NSX's tires. It's not uncommon to see 10-15K miles out of OEM rear tires after less aggressive toe settings are applied (vs 7-10K miles with OEM rear toe settings).

There will be a performance difference but nothing you'd feel on the street and nothing anyone but a very skilled driver would feel on the track.

There's also reports of the Goodyear GS-D3 rear tires lasting up to 20K miles+ with a less aggressive rear toe setting. Those tires are extremely comparable--if not superior--in performance to the OEM tires.

If tire wear is a major concern between the 328/348 and the NSX I would worry much about that.

Greetings

Rent a Ferrari before you buy one. I did -- that is why I did not buy one. Money to purchase either car was not a problem. I had wanted a Testarossa and drove one around for about 6 hours -- No Thank You. It all depends on what you are looking for -- a weekend car, a daily driver, or a "bragging rights garage queen". You can use a Ferrari or an NSX to fulfill any of the above. Mine is a daily driver.

Cheers
Martin

I sold my F355 not too long ago. I picked up an NSX on a whim and was quite surprised at the handling and "gawk factor". I think the gawk factor is equal to the Ferrari. I have pictures of both cars at photos.excelsus.com (click on Steve).

The only thing I miss is the sound. At WOT, nothing comes close to the F355. I bought the Ferrari without doing a test drive. I was very underwhelmed with the lack of torque when it arrived. I sold it expecting to buy a 360 next (have been searching). That search is going to be delayed now since I'm having fun with the NSX (eyeing mods to get the power I want).

Steve

85 Porsche 928
93 Viper RT
97 Viper GTS
00 Viper GTS
68 Ford Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)
01 Saleen
95 F355
91 NSX [current]
50 Chevy Truck Hot Rod w/502 [current]

If you can just afford to buy a used 328,don't.Your talking about a 20 yo car with very differing quality control from day to day.Literaly you can have one in which the interior holds together,paint ect is not melting around the back/exhaust,and another one where the whole thing is just not right,try to fix the deteriorating ferrari and you will be on food stamps if you don't have ample $. 355/360 that should be your target.

Greetings

The NSX was called the Ferrari Killer because of its performance and because its quality was so much higher than the older Ferrari's -- 308, 328, and 348.

My favorite for looks is the 308. I loved watching Magnum PI.

Cheers,
Martin

these guys are right on the money. If you could get a good f355 for 50k it would be a different story. I say buy a cheapo 308 , take some pictures of it in your garage ,ship it for a grand or 2 less then buy a nsx and dont look back. At least you wont have to worry about not being able to beat that stock 08 accord v6 to the next light

Back