NSX Race History

MCM

Experienced Member
Where can I find info on early NSX race history? SCCA or other wise.
Am looking for info on semi successful road race cars or Teams.
Was into Vintage racing during that time period, and didnt follow it.
Would like to track down a semi clapped out 'no longer competitive track car' for a project.
Thanks! :biggrin:

If you are willing to import from Germany, Springbok Sportwagen GmbH are selling a 1993 ex-Honda Germany race NSX. It is an ADAC GT Cup car. Maybe one of German members can tell us what sort of spec that series requires?

http://www.springbok.de/index01.htm

nsx_sb_1.jpg
nsx_sb_2.jpg

nsx_sb_3.jpg

nsx_sb_4.jpg

nsx_sb_5.jpg

-Rob

Not looking for a competitive car in good cond. More of a restoration project
of an older wheel to wheel racer with a straight frame & maybe an SCCA Log book. Something that needs work (hit a wall, blown engine) Rather than a turn key racer.
Does not have to be a super famous car, just a track car with some history.
Have owned / reworked a couple older race cars, now looking for one in the form of an NSX.
Any ideas? :smile:

In the states,track down: Doug H,Mark Johnson,The DAL guys,Andrie H,John Vasos,all these guys might help,with whatever nsx racers are out there.

Hmmm...off the top of my head. These may/may not have any sort of racing log.

*Benoit Thetge was selling his NSX racecar a few years ago.
*DAL Motorsports had theirs up on eBay earlier this year.
*A Colorado dealership had theirs up sale on eBay as well. IIRC, it actually did fairly well in it's respective class.
*HART campaigned at least two NSXs. The most recent effort was abandoned fairly quickly.
*Hayashi used to regularly race his in local events vs. some very serious machines and had good success. Won OTC a few years ago.
*A lifetime ago, Mike Duncan had one that was prepped by RM Racing and used in local events.
*Dali Racing has one of those Euro GT Cup cars mentioned above.
*There's an Austrailian silver twin turbo NSX that competed in various races in Austrialia, Mexico, CA, and NV. It even competed in the Targa Tazmania.

The Realtime NSX was given back to Honda and now resides in some museum. You'd be the talk of the community if you could a JGTC NSX, the factory turbo Le Mans NSX, or the one that actually won Le Mans. You've got less than no chance the latter two. ;)

Good luck!

The NSX was not listed as a race car under the FIA. So it could only race in non FIA events. LeMans is not under the control of the FIA, but the ACO (French).

Not being an FIA listed car, means that international race cars won't really exist much, and why the NSX doesn't really have a history like other makes. I wonder if it had anything to do with the FIA protecting marques like Ferrari & Porsche etc? (not that I'm suggesting anything of course)

Thanks, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Am in no hurry, just looking to educate my self on the subject.
JGTC & Le Mans NSX's would be nice, but not at all realistic unless
it rolled then burned..... :tongue: An SCCA club car is more realistic.
All/any info is appreciated.
MCM

This probably doesn't help you find a track car, but just for general interest:

The Comptech Racing Acura-Spice GTP Lights car, driven by Parker Johnstone, dominated the IMSA GTP Lights series in the early '90s. It was powered by a reworked NSX motor.

The Comptech Real-Time NSX driven by Peter Cunningham was very competitive in SCCA World Challenge and won the series in 1997.

Back