NSX-R NA2 Suspension on Stock Wheel Size Pics

Hello All,

Just received a set of NSX-R NA2 dampers. The following is a picture of my NSX with them installed. Ride height decrease from stock was very minimal.

First impressions of the suspension...

Rides very much like the Mugen Showa 5 way adjustable sport dampers on the +3 setting (if you are familiar with this setup on other Honda/Acuras).

Very streetable setup. Ride is definitely stiffer, but not 'bouncy' like stock struts and aftermarket springs. Oscillation is very minimal when at speed on highways. Very crisp turn in, and very neutral handling. I was also very impressed with the way that the suspension rebounds during switchback transitions and off camber manuevers.

I am very satisfied with this suspension for my personal use: 80% street, 20% track.

IMO: if you want to lower for looks... stick with Bilsteins on stock shocks for a lowered look, stock like ride, and slightly crisper handling. The R suspension is a waste of your money for pure asthetics.

However, if you want to transform the very character of how your car handles... I would highly recommend the NSX-R NA2 suspension set up.

I will be at the NSX Prime Canyon Drive and will gladly take anyone very interested in this setup for a ride so that you can make an informed decision.

Thanks Guys...
-Michael. (FlightNSX)

Attachments

• nsx white r susp side 2.jpg
    nsx white r susp side 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,967
Are you sure it is called NSX-R NA-2? AFAIK only our '97 to '01 cars are called NA-2 (at least my '98 has it in the papers) and there has never been a R version of them. Or is the newer design with fixed headlights also called NA-2

FlightNSX

Very nice:) :) :) I like it very much. Very clean setup.

By stock size rims, you mean 15/16, 16/17 or 17/17? Did you do anything to the ARBs, or do you plan to? The car looks great, and I can only imagine how it drives!

Thanks for the review of the NA2 R suspension, i have been waiting on a review for sometime. Can you post more picture of the ride height?? Thanks.

I'm confused. Did you just replace the shocks (dampers) with the NSX-R type and retain stock springs or are you talking about the complete bolt on shock/spring combination created for the 2002 NSX-R?

If the former I can understand the ride height not being lower. If the later I don't understand why the ride height did not change like the spec ( about 1.5").

Did you change the front anti-roll bar to the NSX-R spec?

Curious

Inexcess said:

If the former I can understand the ride height not being lower. If the later I don't understand why the ride height did not change like the spec ( about 1.5").

Curious

NSX-R suspension is 1cm lower than stock which is about 0.4".

My Reply

Hi Guys thanks for the compliments,

Sorry for the delay.... I am out in Minneapolis, MN on a business trip for the week and don't access the Internet very often.

To answer a few of the questions...

*NSX-Racer: NA2 refers to the chassis code of the newer model NSXs. NA1 refers to the older model. 2002+ NSXs are also designated as NA2s.
There were indeed 2 generations of NSX-Rs. The NA1 NSX-R, and the newer 2002 NA2 NSX-R. The suspension setup that I have is the NA2 NSX-R setup. It is tuned differently than the NA1 NSX-R setup.

*White94 I am running 16/17 Enkei RP01s with stock tire sizes. I plan to upgrade to a lightweight 17/17 or 17/18 version as soon as I find something other than the run of the mill Volks. :)

*EK4 Hatchback: Tell me about it. I been searching for as much info on this suspension as I could, and watching numerous videos to study the handling characteristics and ride height of the suspension. I eventually got tired of waiting and bit the bullet and got a set of my own. That's why i am posting as much info as I can about this set up for others to see and experience. I wish I had the info I did now, I wouldn't have hesitated so long. I'll have to take better pics of the ride height so you can see the tires as well, but I can post another one for you for now that I have on hand. Sorry, I'll take more pics when I get the chance.

*Inexcess: I bought the entire strut/spring/damper mount assemblies. They were just a straight bolt in installation. You can't beat OEM fitment. Here is a pic from SOS of what I purchased. I already have a larger aftermarket front sway bar, and the NA2 NSX-R has the same rear sway bar as stock, so I didn't upgrade my rear sway bar.

NA2NSXR_suspension.jpg

*ak: My NSX was lowered about a half an inch...

Attachments

• nsx white r susp side 1.jpg
    nsx white r susp side 1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,685
Ride???

Aaron!!!

I was wondering where you were. :)

Let me know when you want to meet up sometime, you can DRIVE the NSX as far as I am concerned, since you've been so kind to me. I still have to get your HyperRev back to you as well. ;)

Talk to ya later,
Michael.

How are the roads by you?

How does the ride compare to the Tiens?

Koni's?

Billstein / Eibachs?

I have the Billstein/Eibach combo and love them on the street and like them on the track. If this setup was comparible in comfort to my setup and far exceeded my setup at the track I would switch. If it is just different or a little better - I would wait.

Please let me know your thoughts if you have experiance with the other setups.

Hi Matteni,

Honestly, I've never ridden in an NSX with aftermarket suspensions...

I do have a BAD opinion on Tein coilover suspensions. I have tried the TEIN HA (replaced by the SS line up), and the TEIN RA full coilover suspension setups on my old race car, an Acura Integra Type R, as well as Eibach and Tokico, Skunk2 Coilover sleeves, HKS Hypermax, Apex'i N1s, Mugen Showas, and Zeal Function B2s/S6s on the same car.

THe worst setups for me on the track were the Skunk2 Coilover sleeves and the TEIN HAs. The TEIN RAs were good on the track, ok on the streets, but I had a problem with both setups blowing out on my car on the street. :( TEIN was pretty shitty about reworking the shocks as well.

The ride isn't as stiff as the TEINs, and it is definitely MUCH QUIETER. the TEINs running on pillow uppermounts, much like other coilover setups tend to clink on bumps and breaks in pavement. I winced over every railroad track, speed bump, etc when I was driving my car daily. I don't like to go with coilovers for the street that utilize pillow upper mounts.

I am pretty sure that the NA2 NSX-R suspension will outperform the Bilstein/Eibach combo on the track and will ride similary on the street compared to stiffness. What you have to keep in mind is that the Eibachs were not designed with the Bilsteins in mind, and likewise, so they are truly a sort of 'frankenstein' set up in my mind. Please take what I say with a grain of salt as I never personally tried out this setup but have heard feedback from other NSX PRime members about the stiffness of Bilstein/Eibach on the street. The NSX NA2 NSX-R suspension was developed and produced as a whole inclusive setup. So the springs and damping rates are all setup to work together by Honda engineering and R&D. I don't think I will need to upgrade for a long time.

The only thing I wish the NA2 NSX-R suspension setup would include is a 5 way dampening adjustment so that I can tweak the suspension at the track a little. But all in all, I am very satisfied with my purchase. I won't need to upgrade to a full competition system on my NSX until I can get to the track and get the most out of the NSX-R setup which I believe will be more than enough for me to learn on and be happy with for quite a long time.

By the way, as I get used to driving my NSX (my daily driver) since the setup was installed, I am getting very used to the ride, and sometimes can't feel the difference from stock until I hit tight curves. It transforms the handling characteristics of the car so much that it makes the NSX so much more fun to drive. I am sure that it will be the cause of many future traffic violations. ;)

Hope this helps...

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to write about and qualify your statements. Enjoy your setup - sounds great!

:)

Following the thread in here ........ does anyone have the Bilstein and Zanardi springs, or has tried them? I am sure that will be less stiff than the NSX-R but the NSX-T can take only so much if it is also used for mostly street driving.

Many that I know are coming to the conclusion that the Bilstein with OEM springs (ie non progressive) give a better assurance/feel as a set up for the track than Bilstein and Eibach which are progressive. I have Bilstein and OEM and love its streetability but wish I had a little more on the track.

So I guess the next question becomes what other springs are there that are stiffer than OEM but non-progressive and without lowering the car 1.25" to 1.5" for street driving also ............ only Zanardi?

Hrant said:
Following the thread in here ........ does anyone have the Bilstein and Zanardi springs, or has tried them? I am sure that will be less stiff than the NSX-R but the NSX-T can take only so much if it is also used for mostly street driving.

Many that I know are coming to the conclusion that the Bilstein with OEM springs (ie non progressive) give a better assurance/feel as a set up for the track than Bilstein and Eibach which are progressive. I have Bilstein and OEM and love its streetability but wish I had a little more on the track.

So I guess the next question becomes what other springs are there that are stiffer than OEM but non-progressive and without lowering the car 1.25" to 1.5" for street driving also ............ only Zanardi?

Not exactly an answer to your question but I have driven my car back to back with a Zinardi. My car has the Dali Street sway bars, Eibachs, and Billsteins and the Zanardi was stock suspension. I found both cars to be nearly identical in damping, reboud, roll, and overall feal. I did not drive them back to back on the track but the 2 suspensions felt surprisingly similar and I wouldn't trade my setup for a Zanardi setup IMO. I would consider the NSX-R suspension (when and if my shocks wear out) but only if I was assured that the streetability was nearly as good as the setup I currently have. If the NSX-R setup is harsher then the Zanardi setup then I will bet dollars to donuts that it is equally harsher then the Billstein / Eibach setup I have now.

I now have about 300 street miles and 50 track miles on the R suspension.My previous settup was zanardi/koni.I left my sways the same but I did add more -camber for the front tires.The R susp is another level above the old.Better mechanical grip,and more stable at all speeds.Car pushes less so you can still steer a little under power.I would think for a track car this is an ideal settup esp if you are not into fussing with coilovers.imo though this is not a comfortable street setup.There is some pogoing over medium bumps or what I would call swells in the road.The shocks do damp out most chop and the smaller ripples and bumps(but do so harshly) not surprising given the spring rates.I have a targa and this would not be my choice for a street car.The zanardi koni was much better as a street /ocasional track settup.I however am psyched with the R susp and look forward to exploring its'and my limits.

I just installed my 02 NSX-R suspension kit yesterday, also front sway bar, initial impression: WoW, this thing is stiff! Car handles very different, definitely a hard core type modification. The real test is take my wife out for a drive, she does not know about the kit yet, If she can feel it, then it may be too much for most people who use it as daily driver, The car has 17" 18" Volks GTC on it now, I may put oe 15" 16" back on to soft the ride a little, the diff. between before and after is like Int. GSR and Type R for those of you driven both. I would love for other in SE to ride in my car and comment about it, The reason I went for this set-up is to firm up a bit for Auto-X this year. Hope this helps.

Had the 02 Type R suspension installed today, replacing a set of TEINS.

The first impression I had pulling out of the shop driveway is the steering effort is more than with the Teins, and I'm not really sure why. Perhaps the caster or something was somehow different? Maybe one of the more technical guys can explain it.

In the corners, the R is great! Look where you want to go, turn in and you're there. Everything is stable and there's no constant steering adjustments needed before or during the turn. It feels almost as good as my wife's G35 (just kidding folks)

On the bumpier roads at speed, the car doesn't bounce around and while the ride is firm, it's not harsh, if that makes any sense.

The other suspension wasn't bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea for the roads I have to drive on.

Later,
Charles

FlightNSX, EIFFEL and rowr,
I just joined the club as well. Got 4 new type R damper units for father's day and can't wait to install them.
I studied the shop manual and it looks pretty simple to install. A couple of questions:
Did you guys attempt the installation yourselves? Any problems?
The shop manual asks to replace the locking nuts (one at the base and 3 at the top) with new ones. Not bad insurance especially if you track the car. Did you guys replace these locking nuts with new? (it does add up to a pretty penny due to the total number of nuts required).

I reuse the nuts, the reason for replacement is for the special coating on the nuts to be intact, good idea and recommended, but I am kind of cheap. the job is not too bad for DIY, make sure the car is securely jacked before working, expect 6-7 hrs. for first timer. have fun! Make sure get the front sway bar while you're at it.

Could anyone post a pic of the TypeR suspension with the 17/17 wheels or 17/18 wheels??

I'm very sure that I won't mind the streetability of the set up, but my current stock ride is a little too high in my taste(especially with my wheels' offset pushing 'em flush with the fender.)

I'm either going to have the R or Tein RA, based on what you guys suggesting, the R is a better suspension than the RA, the only thing I'm worry about is that the car still look like a 4 by4 with the R suspension...

If you go to RSO's pics gallery (banner add at bottom of prime and look at recent bee pics you will see the susp with 17/17 wheels.I don't think that you should get this susp only for cosmetics,its too good to waste on the street.This susp is made to turn and generate better mechanical grip,but you need to get some good - camber both front and rear to make it sweeter.If you don't run 1-1.5 negative in front you won't be taking advantage of this amazing susp,from my experience.

Doubts!?

Hi to all of you guys :)

I have some doubts, specially for you FlightNSX, hope you! (and all the one who knows) can take my doubts away ;) :)

I have an ´91 NSX (3.000 c.c., + - 280hp), so it´s a NA1.

I would like to know if that suspension (from the NSX-R NA2 Type) fit well and without problems in my car ? Any problem with the stock rims that are 15" in the front and 16" in the back ?

Here in Portugal we have some opportunites to go on track in the international track of "Autodromo do Estoril", a track that in the past received the Formula 1 championship, and i´m thinking to get another suspension, but i need a suspension that can go on track very well, but also in street, because most of kilometers i do on street, and about 800 km per year in that track.

Hope you can help me :)

Thanks in advance ;)

Regards,

Paulo Luz :)

Save your money and stick with the stock suspension.
If ya really gotta upgrade, try street/track sway bars and Biltein shocks w/ original springs. You can do all that for under $1,000US

Back