nsx purchase

Dan

Registered Member
Hello everyone. I think I have found the best nsx site here. I saw an Acura nsx in a magazine article a couple of months ago and had really never seen one before. after reading the article,I have truly found the car for me. I drove a 96 NSX-T and really loved the car. I now have a 99 piece of junk mustang cobra svt with only 5000 miles on it.
I am in the process of trying to sell it.I have read articles about the early nsx's having problems. Are the 91 to 93 model good cars or are the 96-99 the cars to have? I know the prices are alot higher for the later models but I think I can only spend about $40,000 Thanks Dan

Originally posted by Dan:
I have read articles about the early nsx's having problems. Are the 91 to 93 model good cars or are the 96-99 the cars to have? I know the prices are alot higher for the later models but I think I can only spend about $40,000 Thanks Dan

If you only want to spend up to $40k look at the 91/93 cars. You'll be able to find one in this price range and have cash left over for mods.

When compared to most other cars the 91/93 models hardly had anything wrong with them. Yes there were some problems with the 91/93 but don't worry about it as most of them have already been taken care of by the previous owners. You can find all the information about in the FAQ section of the site, http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm. My best advise is read this page.

The bigger issue is finding a clean car for the price you can afford. Also in the FAQ section is a list of things to inspect, http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/used_nsx_checklist.htm. Also I would highly recommend finding an NSX tech in your local area to do a final inspection before putting ink to paper.

Good luck. Once you own an NSX you'll never want to drive anything else.

Originally posted by Dan:
...or are the 96-99 the cars to have?

I agree with Hejo with one additional comment based on your post. You seem to differentiate between 91-95 in one category, then 96-current in another. The biggest difference occured in 97, so the second category is actually 97-current. In '97 the manual NSX went to a 6spd gearbox and increased to a 3.2l engine. read more about year to year changes here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm[/url]

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 21 September 2001).]

Actually, I would subdivide it into '91-94 (all 3.0-liter coupes), '95-96 (virtually all 3.0-liter NSX-T), and '97+. Depending on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend, you probably want something in only one of those groups - considering your price point, the first one.

Hi Dan,

At $40k you are definitely looking at a '91-'94 coupe. If you don't mind doing some extra homework and don't want a passenger side airbag, I'd recommend a '91 because it is basically the same car and will be less expensive. Age/miles do not matter as much as proper maintenance.

The guys who already replied pointed out where to find out about the potential issues with the earlier cars and the due diligence required when purchasing one.

You should be able to find a very clean lower mile '91 that is up to date on all maintenance for under $35k. It's always nice to come in under budget!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Actually, I would subdivide it into '91-94 (all 3.0-liter coupes), '95-96 (virtually all 3.0-liter NSX-T), and '97+.

of course, ken is right here. the narrow scope of my comments were limited to just performance.

Hi Dan,

I wouldn't worry at all about the reliability of an older NSX, provided it's been well taken care of. Last year I bought a '91 with 55k on it. Since then I've put an additional 12,000 miles on it. In that time I have not had a single thing go wrong with the car-- It drives and feels like a new car to me. And when I brought my car to work for the first time, many of my co-workers thought it was either a '99 or 2000 model! That was too cool. Everyone was shocked when I told them it was a '91 for $33k.

Other than the normal stuff you'd look at before buying any high-end sports car, the only big thing to worry about on the earily models is getting a transmission that's not in the dreaded snap ring range (see the FAQ). Looking over top the engine it's very easy to read the serial number of the transmission. If the number is in the problem range, personally I would pass on the car-- there are plenty of other early model NSX's to choose from without this potential problem lurking.

Also, as others mention, you could use the money saved from buying a '91 to buy some mods. Many feel the stock wheels on the early cars look lame relative to the rest of the car. The stock exhaust is WAY too quiet-- adding an aftermarket exhaust makes spirited driving more exciting in my opinon. And with the stock suspenion, the car leans in the corners like a Cadaliac-- stiffer sway bars fix this nicely, making the car feel like it's on rails.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 22 September 2001).]

the narrow scope of my comments were limited to just performance.

So were mine. The '95-96 models, because they are the NSX-T, are somewhat heavier, decreasing performance (and don't have the larger engine of the later years to offset the additional weight). They are also less rigid; even though they beefed up frame rails to compensate for the open top, they added some additional reinforcement in '97.

While the '97+ models are the highest performance, the '91-94 coupes would come next, with the '95-96 NSX-T last.

with the stock suspenion, the car leans in the corners like a Cadaliac

This is quite an exaggeration. The stock suspension is really quite impressive, with only a slight amount of body roll; on the racetrack, it hugs the road, while on the highway, it maintains a comfortable ride quality. Depending on your personal preference, you may want to consider aftermarket suspension mods to reduce roll (while reducing ride quality), but IMO it is not essential to do so.

I drove my '91 for ten years and 88,000 miles before stuffing it into a tree. I had nothing of note go wrong in that decade and I immediately replaced it with another '91 with only 11,000 miles on it (paid $38k for what looks and drives like a brand new car). The '91's are wonderful autos and as reliable as a new one (providing you are out of snap range). I'd recommend paying more for an older lower milage car than the inverse, these cars cannot be judged by age.

with the stock suspenion, the car leans in the corners like a Cadaliac

This is quite an exaggeration. The stock suspension is really quite impressive, with only a slight amount of body roll; on the racetrack, it hugs the road, while on the highway, it maintains a comfortable ride quality. Depending on your personal preference, you may want to consider aftermarket suspension mods to reduce roll (while reducing ride quality), but IMO it is not essential to do so.

That was meant to be an exaggeration. What I mean is that the car feels like it has a lot more body roll than it should for a car of this type. The body roll was the first thing I noticed when I drove an NSX for the first time.

Adding the stiffer sway bars makes the car "feel" much better to me while only making the ride quality slightly harsher. Amazingly, my wife likes riding in the car better with new sway bars. She noticed right away that the car leaned less in hard corners. And with the car feeling more stable, she felt more comfortable at high speed. I still cannot quantify if this mod helps in a true performance sense, but it sure feels like it does.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 23 September 2001).]

I think with the budget of $40k, I'd say go with a nice '94. I doubt you'll find '95 and above for that price and low mileage.

I'd suggest a good-condition early car and drive it as is. See how you like it, and what (if anything) you want to change. You may find that the stock NSX is pretty darn good and that the cost of mods are not worth the slight change they may make in performance and/or appearance.

I would also suggest making sure you have a few grand in the bank as a reserve, in case the clutch or the air conditioning goes. Don't spend all your available cash on the car itself.

Dan,
8 months ago I was in the same situation...'99 Cobra and had a 2001 on order..Decided to look at NSX's and ended up buying a '91 with 35K mi. I can wholeheartedly say I have never looked back....Best car buying decision I have ever made....Hands down.

Yeah I,m sure the nsx is alot better car than the mustang. I have always bought honda motorcycles, Lawnmowers. I was really not that much into cars because I raced motocross
for so many years. I,m goning to get an NSX
but I have to get rid of my junker. Thanks Dan

Actually, I would subdivide it into '91-94 (all 3.0-liter coupes), '95-96 (virtually all 3.0-liter NSX-T), and '97+. Depending on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend, you probably want something in only one of those groups - considering your price point, the first one.

Hello, Do you know of any good contacts
they may be able to locate a clean low mileaged 91-93 NSX? I have family in Chicago and when Im ready to buy, It would not be a problem to go Check it out. Thanks Dan

wow..this is a great post! I hope I can remember this post when I am ready to get my NSX when I graduate...will probably go for a 97+ NSX-T 6 spd at that time...I'd better start saving up
biggrin.gif

Those FAQ's are great! lots of help! very useful for any car almost...

------------------
bdimc.jpg

Moderator of Acura-TL.Com Forums

[This message has been edited by bdimc2001 (edited 25 September 2001).]

they may be able to locate a clean low mileaged 91-93 NSX? I have family in Chicago and when Im ready to buy, It would not be a problem to go Check it out. Thanks Dan

If I were looking for an NSX, I would not limit myself to one city; I would search nationwide, using the Internet and other electronic resources. (You're much more likely to find a clean, well-maintained car using the resources frequented by the enthusiasts - the e-mail lists, and the forums and NSX classifieds here and on a couple other NSX-specific sites - than on general web resources.) If I found one somewhere, I would then contact a knowledgeable NSX owner in the area to check it out for me, before I bought a plane ticket to check it out myself.

If you want to find one in Chicago, you are limiting yourself. Yes, there are plenty of NSX's here, and there are always a few for sale here and there. And if it's THAT important to find an NSX - ANY NSX - in Chicago or St. Louis, you can do so. But if you only want a certain color, and/or only low-mileage well-maintained, and/or only certain years, and/or an aggressive price point, then your odds go down considerably, compared with a nationwide search. There's nothing special about finding one that's 200 miles from home that you aren't just as likely to find many other places too.

That being said, you can let me know if there's a certain color etc you're looking for, and I can keep my eyes peeled. I can also refer you to NSX owners in other cities if you find one elsewhere that you want checked out.

BTW, the NSXPO 2001 convoy from California and Arizona to Wisconsin will be stopping overnight in your town. Info here.

If I were looking for an NSX, I would not limit myself to one city; I would search nationwide, using the Internet and other electronic resources. (You're much more likely to find a clean, well-maintained car using the resources frequented by the enthusiasts - the e-mail lists, and the forums and NSX classifieds here and on a couple other NSX-specific sites - than on general web resources.) If I found one somewhere, I would then contact a knowledgeable NSX owner in the area to check it out for me, before I bought a plane ticket to check it out myself.

If you want to find one in Chicago, you are limiting yourself. Yes, there are plenty of NSX's here, and there are always a few for sale here and there. And if it's THAT important to find an NSX - ANY NSX - in Chicago or St. Louis, you can do so. But if you only want a certain color, and/or only low-mileage well-maintained, and/or only certain years, and/or an aggressive price point, then your odds go down considerably, compared with a nationwide search. There's nothing special about finding one that's 200 miles from home that you aren't just as likely to find many other places too.

That being said, you can let me know if there's a certain color etc you're looking for, and I can keep my eyes peeled. I can also refer you to NSX owners in other cities if you find one elsewhere that you want checked out.

BTW, the NSXPO 2001 convoy from California and Arizona to Wisconsin will be stopping overnight in your town. Info here.

Thanks, If the cars will be out and about, I will go and check it out. Thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to bring my camera. Do you know if they have any event planned or do they just stop off for the night.

Back