NSX paint

Is the NSX's paint a "no clear coat" paint? So you can buff and buff to get out significant scratches or road-rash? (I overheard an NSX owner say this, and I was unaware so I'd like clarification)

Pretty sure all NSXs are base coat/clear coat. According to my detailer, the NSX paint and clear are unusually soft so he has always used a lighter touch and less aggressive machine pads and compounds on it compared to what he uses on most cars. If you "buff and buff" you risk going right on through the clear if your compound is aggressive enough, especially in vulnerable areas like panel edges and creases.

Not sure what color yours is...in the avatar it looks like it could be black. If so, about the only way I know to get all the swirls and micro-scratches out is with a machine polish. But it's not something you want to try yourself if you've never done it. Get a pro or get a high quality random orbital buffer and practice on other cars until you are satisfied with your skill level. Patience is the key to a great finish.

Pretty sure all NSXs are base coat/clear coat. According to my detailer, the NSX paint and clear are unusually soft so he has always used a lighter touch and less aggressive machine pads and compounds on it compared to what he uses on most cars. If you "buff and buff" you risk going right on through the clear if your compound is aggressive enough, especially in vulnerable areas like panel edges and creases.

Not sure what color yours is...in the avatar it looks like it could be black. If so, about the only way I know to get all the swirls and micro-scratches out is with a machine polish. But it's not something you want to try yourself if you've never done it. Get a pro or get a high quality random orbital buffer and practice on other cars until you are satisfied with your skill level. Patience is the key to a great finish.

Very good advice. Black cars are definitely easy to make a mess of, if you don't have a lot of experience with a buffer.

Damn, could that print be any smaller. ^^^^^^^^^^^I had to use the magnifying glass I use to pee with.:redface:

Attachments

• tidh00.jpg
    tidh00.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
when the nsx came out pretty much everything was cutting edge particularly the crazy complex paint /cure process to get a lasting durable adherence to aluminum. Although pitted from use my oem berlina paint has no major flaws/peel/tone changes after 19 years.

Last edited:
All NSX has base coat and clear coat. Who ever told you that does't know what they are talking about. lol

Well Formula red is a tri coat. Base coat, tinted clear midcoat, and a clear coat. Im sure the pearls are the same.

-Alec

Was this same process used up to 2005?

I'm pretty sure it is since mine is a 2003. When I had my bumper cover repainted by Joe (pbassjo) he told me it was a tri-coat and joe always knows what he's talking about. :tongue:

Frankie

That would have been me, regurgitating what I understood from the detailer, whom I probably misunderstood. . .he did use the word "soft" a lot.

I know nothing about detailing / paint

Last edited:
Yeah when i got home that day i was making calls to see about getting my bumper repainted and it made me think about what you said... And i know who detailed your car and he's by no means an advisable source in regards to NSXs so i came to the forum for clarification.
Yeah every detailer that worked on my car was always shocked about how incredibly "soft" the paint is!

Back