NSX or something else?

It all depends on what you want in a sports car. Are you going for value, or exoticness, or handling, or straight-line acceleration?

The Cayman seems to be pretty close in spirit to the NSX. Naturally-aspirated mid-engine, rear wheel drive, similar weight and size, etc. Has the advantage of "modernness" so you get creature comforts/goodies like tire pressure monitoring systems and factory GPS display. I understand maintenance on Porches can be fairly expensive, but as NSXes age they are going to require more repair to keep them in top shape.

The Viper and Vette have a different character than the NSX, being large displacement front-engine sports coupes. I don't really know much about Vipers, but the late model Z06es are excellent values. You get a lot of performance and handling for your money.

Vettes and Porches are pretty common. Vipers and NSXes are more rare. If you're interested in having kind of a rare-ish car, go with the Viper or NSX.

I think most people around here like the NSX for being kind of special. It's a technology demonstrator and a piece of automotive history.

I'd go for NSX since you said its been your dream car since you were a kid. That is the same position I was in and went for my dream, unless you want to keep it a dream. I still dream about it, but its also good to know its reality when I wake up and go to my garage =)

I sold my Zanardi after the last NSXPO at Mid-Ohio. I was fine for a couple of years and then about six months ago I started to suffer seller's remorse. I thought about buying another NSX but then Porsche announced the Cayman R and I went for that.

I've always been a mid-engine fan. Years ago I owned a Lotus Europa. I always wanted an NSX and I got the Zanardi the year it came out. The R is a lot more expensive than a used NSX, yet it is much less than what I paid for the Zanarid when it was new. So, new car to new car along with several years of inflation this is a pretty good deal on price alone.

I think of the R as sort of similar to the Zanardi, basically a lighter, quicker version of the stock car. I had to add the A/C back in, which adds 26#, and I went for the paddle shifter, which adds another 55#. Nevertheless, the car will still be a bit lighter than the NSX with about 40 more HP. With a more up-to-date suspension and traditional Porsche brakes it ought to be a screamer.

Oops! I just noticed my signature still lists the Zanardi and the CLK350. I'll have to correct that.

Last edited:
I think the reason people cross-shop NSX vs Viper/Corvette is that they like the look and rarity of the NSX but wish it had the power of the Viper/Corvette. They probably lean towards the NSX but they need other people opinions to convince or justify themselves into buying the NSX.

While I respect the raw power of the corvette/viper, I have no desire to own one, so it was an easy choice for me. I did cross-shop the NSX with a 05-06 911, but in the end, the NSX won me over.

In the end, you buy what you want, not what other people want you to buy.

You really can't make a wrong choice with any of the cars you are looking at. They are all fun, and isn't that really the point? If you can stretch your dollar amount a bit more, test drive a 2008 Viper (600hp). IMHO that is one of the most impressive cars available in the 60k range. If I could only have one sports car I think that might be it. With that said my next fun car purchase might be a newer NSX as they really offer a unique driving experience.

Last edited:
Lots of threads on this, but its always a fun topic so why not.

The Corvette and Viper are very similar when compared to the NSX, but are very different from each other.

The Viper is pretty brutal and, IMO, not all that fun to drive. I thought very long and hard before not buying one and instead coming back to (my 3rd) NSX.

The car is big and heavy with a loooong hood and feels it. The driving position is a bit odd and the clutch is pretty heavy. The SRT-10 is better in all of these areas and a lot more polished. It is also a bit less raw and exotic.

All of that said, the Viper is a performance monster. It has out of box performance that is above most peoples modded frankenstein projects and needs pretty much no tweaking. It has very exotic looks, gets a ton of attention, looks outrageous, sounds like a beast has great brakes and suspension and is pretty cheap and easy to fix.

The Vette is almost like a sanitized Viper. This is good and bad. It feels more refined, looks less insane, is very very ubiquitous (and people have no clue that a ZR1 is any different than a plain as dirt standard coupe) and is "cozier". The Vette is a car you could commute in every day as if it were a Lumina, and yet it is still a performance monster.

All of that said, it also feels big and heavy (IMO) and like the Viper (although not nearly as bad) the hood seems reaaaaaaaally long. The latest Z06 models can hang with a Viper (any difference is splitting hairs) and are probably the best bang for the buck in Corvette history.

The Cayman is a great mid engine sports coupe. Its a hard top Boxster and is just a great platform. There is probably something to the idea that Porsche deliberately doesn't put a big output engine in the Cayman to keep it from killing the 911. I haven't driven one, but I have driven the Boxster and I like it a lot.

The 911 is another car I loved. I owned one for years in between NSX's and came *very* close to getting a Turbo 996 instead of the 3rd NSX. VERY hard to choose between a 911 and an NSX. That one comes down to personal preference as the experience is surprisingly similar (off a track). Both have great driving position, great visibility, sound great, are extremely fun to drive and have a good "feel". I think the Boxster/Cayman "feel" closer to an NSX, but the 911 is pretty close. The 911 is a Porsche so it has all of the ups and downs of that. You never have to explain what it is, or hunt high and low for experts to fix it, or worry that parts are vanishing. That said, they're sort of all over the place, are expensive as hell to fix, and look pretty tame in general.

Anything Japanese that isnt an NSX I'm really not a fan of, so can't help there.

As far as all of these cars being cross-shopped, I think they get cross shopped because they're all "affordable yet cool" sports cars used and so until people know what is most important to them, they all seem viable.

I think what happens a LOT now that a lot of these cars are "affordable" for folks that haven't put a lot of thought into it and are leading with emotion is this (broken down for each marque):

NSX - many are drawn to it, IMO, for some "baller" factor that lingers from memory. Almost like getting away with something. You can look like you're rolling in a Ferrari even though you can't remotely afford one. But then one day a modded $12k STi destroys you at a light while two 17 year old knuckleheads laugh and the ego gets bruised and the ranting and raving starts. Hate to be brutal, but I believe that 90% of the heavy complaints are exactly this

Vette - many are drawn to it b/c it seems cheap and easy, but quickly realize that there are a MILLION Vettes (almost as bad as Mustangs) and they are all exactly the same and are, hate to say it, just a bit boring. End of the day, when the gas pedal isnt to the metal, it "feels" like a Chevy.

Viper - many are drawn to them for the same reason as the NSX (baller on a budget), but then realize they are pretty BRUTAL cars and they either wind up dead or quietly stepping away tail between legs

Porsche - many are drawn to *certain models* again for "baller on a budget" reasons and then QUICKLY realize that OWNING one is a lot more expensive than BUYING one. Again, exit stage left, tail between legs​

(Disclaimer - above is a bit of a gag - of course like any gag, theres a lot of reality there too :biggrin:)

thank you for the inputs. I'm taking down notes. :)
I'll do more test driving before making the final decision. I am very confused though. too many toys. I feel like a little kid being dropped off at a candy store but only being told to only get one item. Maybe one day I can have all. One can only dream.

I have been part of this forum for a few years, and I have seen quite a few owners that went on to other vehicles come back to the NSX. That says something. Saw a guy drive up from TX to Nebraska to trade in a brand new red C6 corvette for 1991 black NSX. Whatever you choose tak your time in choosing the right vehicle.

Have you checked out the 996 Turbo? It's a fantastic machine. The engine is dead reliable - it's based on the GT1 program and not a new design like the normally aspirated 996's. The 996 Turbo with just an ECU flash will make around 430 rwhp. It's comfortable, modern and higher build quality than a Z06 or Viper. I love my 996TT - especially with the GT2 front conversion.

+1

I have to agree with mknmoves. This is an NSX site after all :cool:

If anybody would know, I would guess it would be mknmoves... let's see, how many NSX's has he had now? 5 & counting?

Actually, there are lots of cars out there that would be fun to own or have access to drive like they were stollen. :biggrin:

The raw HP and torque is fun...

for me, the NSX is perfect. I have no regrets and have no plans or purchasing anything else...

Even though I was tempted to begin a post, Sold my NSX for a Prius... stating that the Prius killed the NSX when it came to gas mileage, so the NSX had to go :smile: (But I don't own a Prius for one thing... but I thought it could be a post that would really FLAME on this site.)

I would suggest, learning all you can about the cars. Driving them, etc. If the NSX has always been a dream car of yours... maybe you should make it a reality.

Actually, the hunt can be quite fun... whether it be for an NSX or whatever.

I love the NSX for the styling, performance/handling, dependability, all aluminum for the most part, something that is unique and can be quite the conversation piece.

Plus, NSX owners, like most on prime are a great bunch of people. That isn't to say that other car enthusiest aren't.

Welcome and enjoy the hunt, in whatever you choose. Keep us posted.

- Rod

Last edited:
My decision process...

i faced a similar decision not too long ago. I have wanted an NSX since i was about 10 years old and when it finally came time to purchase my toy, I wasn't sure what car to purchase.

On one hand, I consider myself to be an enthusiast and feel I can appreciate all of the different characteristics that different cars offer. Saving up for this was also a process for me so I wanted to make sure I made a decision I wouldn't regret. On the other hand, it is a toy, and to some extent, passion and the emotional impact it has should definitely play a role (in my opinion).

I'm by no means a track rat, and the performance of all of these cars is more than enough, so there was a lot to consider.

For me, I had a similar budget and I was considering the following:
- Late model Lotus Elise/Exige (preferably supercharged)
- C6 Z06 (preferably 08+)
- Late model Viper
- Late model Cayman S
- 2002+ NSX

Some would argue that these are all very different cars and that I'm a very confused person - and they'd be partially right :) The one thing that these cars all shared in common for me was that they all provide something unique, and some redeeming quality that I could appreciate.

In the case of the elise/exige, it is the raw/visceral driving experience. I personally like small cars and appreciate the fact that you can still have fun with this smaller, less powerful car within the confines of legal roads. Just zipping around town would be an experience. And as the automotive world continues to move toward bigger, heavier, safer cars, the current gen elise/exige are really the last of their kind.

I think the Viper speaks for itself. A massive, ridiculous engine (and vehicle) that's completely unapologetic for what it is. The days of an 8L engine are also quickly coming to a close, and owning a car like a viper may not be something that we can do for much longer.

With the Z06, it's more of the same. There's been a lot of discussion as to what is going to happen with the next gen Corvettes, and while they may not have the glamour of some of the other cars, there's no denying the fact that it's an extraordinary performer, and it really does stand apart from its standard counterpart with some exotic materials.

Then there was the Cayman S. This is sort of the outlier in the list. It's the unloved child in Porsche's lineup, but it really is, at least to me, the closest thing to a modern NSX (except maybe an evora, which was out of my budget). I love the way it looks, it handles great, and drives well too. It just seems like an obvious choice to keep on the list.

Finally, there was the NSX. Possibly surpassed in performance by all of the other cars on this list. A 20 year old design, and an 5-8 year old car on my budget), for the same price as much newer cars. Older interior. Classic, but potentially dated styling. Small market of sellers meant it'd be hard to find a good one. But at the end of the day, it was an NSX. A piece of automotive history. An embodiment of passion surpassing business logic to really make the best vehicle at any cost. Basically, it was something that went, for me, way farther than just buying another toy.

....But here's the thing. All of these cars are great. All of these cars are cars I'd like to own at some point in my life. And this fact is what made my decision for me. The cayman is still in production, as is the corvette and the lotus. If in 3 years I'm ready to buy another toy, these may still be on my list, and I'm confident that I'll be able to find a good copy of one. I've kept up with the NSX market for years and have found that the number of GOOD COPIES out there has been dwindling, and becoming much harder to find. It's also the oldest of the cars and while it may some day be a classic, for now it's just aging (not that it's a problem, but something to consider).

Basically, for me, it was now or never. You can always buy other cars later, but the time to buy an NSX is sooner rather than later. And as someone who generally only keeps cars for a year at a time before getting bored and moving on, I can say with confidence that the NSX will be breaking that habit. Get the NSX, you won't regret it :)

Last edited:
are you serious? I mean... seriously?

LOL not everyone can handle a lot of hp! seriously!!!!

So many of my buddies won't ride my Busa' since they are scared of the power, odd to me but it's the perception!

Z06 is an awesome car and certainly not that common, especially not the 2010+ models.

IMO Cayman is boring so don't even go there!

Too bad your budget is $55k, the only car I would consider comparable to the NSX is the Audi R8.....

Re: My decision process...

Basically, for me, it was now or never. You can always buy other cars later, but the time to buy an NSX is sooner rather than later. And as someone who generally only keeps cars for a year at a time before getting bored and moving on, I can say with confidence that the NSX will be breaking that habit. Get the NSX, you won't regret it :)

This is a good point... Although the Viper is now gone, so it is in the same boat. Just a few extra model years. I make the point a lot that the NSX is a "classic car" and thats the case now. Like an older Ferrari or Porsche, or a Viper or Lotus Esprit.... These cars are now a part of history and each year acquiring a really nice one will get harder and, potentially, more expensive (obtaining a project car or one with endless "stories" is always easy)

For many buyers, this is also the reason to *not* buy one. It's a very individual thing

Have you checked out the 996 Turbo? It's a fantastic machine. The engine is dead reliable - it's based on the GT1 program and not a new design like the normally aspirated 996's. The 996 Turbo with just an ECU flash will make around 430 rwhp. It's comfortable, modern and higher build quality than a Z06 or Viper. I love my 996TT - especially with the GT2 front conversion.

Agree with this also... The 996T was very tempting. I loved my 996NA and the T is almost a perfect car. Tough choice here if one loves both the NSX and the 911.

LOL not everyone can handle a lot of hp! seriously!!!!

So many of my buddies won't ride my Busa' since they are scared of the power, odd to me but it's the perception!

Z06 is an awesome car and certainly not that common, especially not the 2010+ models.

IMO Cayman is boring so don't even go there!

Too bad your budget is $55k, the only car I would consider comparable to the NSX is the Audi R8.....

explain to me how this is true?

Except for those who always seem to answer a question with, "Do a search," or something close to this!

+1

Plus, NSX owners, like most on prime are a great bunch of people. That isn't to say that other car enthusiest aren't.

Rod

What does everything think about the new Lotus Evora? They sure look cool, have a great cockpit and fall into the "exotic" group.

I don't understand why sales have been so sluggish! This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing one. I'd hate to get one and then have no buyers when I go to sell it.

I hear Lotus is on the verge of bankruptcy????

I don't understand why sales have been so sluggish!

Because it currently looks like this:
9080722.010.1M.jpg

And everyone is waiting for it to look like this:
improved_design_features_2012_lotus_evora.jpg

:biggrin:

I understand that is just a photoshopped wanna be from Autocar. Autocar and Lotus apparently don't get along. Can't imagine Lotus would make such a radical change after having the car out only two years???

Besides, I think the current Evora is gorgeous!~

Because it currently looks like this:
9080722.010.1M.jpg

And everyone is waiting for it to look like this:
improved_design_features_2012_lotus_evora.jpg

:biggrin:

What does everything think about the new Lotus Evora? They sure look cool, have a great cockpit and fall into the "exotic" group.

The Evora basic specs is pretty similar to the NSX, and on other thread, some don't consider the NSX an"exotic", so with "only" 276hp/258lb-ft with a base price of $75,000, the Lotus Evora should not be considered an "exotic" :rolleyes:

Lotus Evora S Specifications
VEHICLE TYPE: mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2+2-passenger, 2-door coupe
ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $75,000
ENGINE TYPE:
DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 211 cu in, 3456cc
Power (SAE net): 276 bhp @ 6400 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 258 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

I actually think the Evora is an awesome car. Are there any other 2+2 cars in a MR configuration? I haven't been keeping up since its release, but from what i remember over at lotustalk, the big issue was really just the lack of price:power ratio.

...Then with the rumors (which were later confirmed) of the Evora S, it seemed like a lot of people who were in the market decided to just wait for the S.

...Then a few months later Lotus debut'd all their concept cars with the new design language and it seemed like the Evora was ready for death.

But still, the Evora seems like a cool car. If only it were 10-15k less... :)

Like Mlambert says - what the heck this is fun so I'll join in too.

Lots of cars out there - lots of more modern cars out there. Many that are in the same price range but for 55k - getting a late model NSX is going to most likely be a wonderful thing.

The Vette and Viper are just big ole bashin thrashin American cars - you either like that or you don't. I've been a sports car man all my life - yeah I know what do I think the Vette and Viper are - that's true but there's a big difference between American muscle and the finesse of a smaller, lighter, more nimble sports car. Sure the Cayman is modern and it's nice, the Porsche is a great car too and for 55k you can buy a lot of 911 for the money. If you wait a while you can get one of the new DFI 911s and so while your waiting - buy an NSX! Get a good one and you'll always be able to sell it for close to what you have in it. That's a nice little thing about the NSX - not so with the others!

You can buy an older 911 if you're looking for something that won't depreciate a whole lot more but then you won't get any better performance really. You sure as heck won't get the reliability factor you get with the NSX. I've had 3 911s and I usally keep my cars a short time but the NSX is different. If I sold my NSX it would be to get a later model. Untill some day way off when I might be able to afford the newer gen 911 with the DFI engines. I don't trust the other ones not the 996 nor the 997 with the IMF or RMS possibility.

I had a friend with a 996 and it may have been an early model - the ones that were supposed to have more of the issues I mentioned but he went 120k miles with it and had replaced his RMS but the car as far as he felt was ready to "move along" to someone else. Ohhh boy - wouldn't want to be the recipeint of that exchange. As others have said it is one thing to buy a 911 and another to maintain one. Oh my friend here - he's a mechanic and works at an independant Porsche shop.

Certainly the NSX will be as cheap to maintain as anything Honda makes almost - the NSX parts arent cheap but then there are just not that many you need. Engines are going a very long time without major work at all.

Lotus - mmmm, well not bad and much better since they don't build thier own engines or transmissions anymore although I had heard they were talking about doing that - I surely hope they don't make that decision.

In the end - drive some figure it out - it's your money - we can't convince you but this is an NSX forum. We have likes and dislikes but we've all made our decision and it's based on the same kind of thing you're doing now. Good luck in your decision. Oh, and we do have a great site of support and lots of nice guys and gals here.

personally i have a corvette...i just got the NSX so i can't comment on how i like it's driving characteristics.

i find the corvette a bit cramped inside, but the nsx feels like it'll have the same cramped feeling. the viper (i've not driven the current generation) i found to be horribly cramped.

the m series bmw convertibles are nice and open and perform nicely...just a though. another thought is...if you really search, you could find a ferrari 360 in your upper budget.

Lots of cars out there - lots of more modern cars out there. Many that are in the same price range but for 55k - getting a late model NSX is going to most likely be a wonderful thing.

The Vette and Viper are just big ole bashin thrashin American cars - you either like that or you don't. I've been a sports car man all my life - yeah I know what do I think the Vette and Viper are - that's true but there's a big difference between American muscle and the finesse of a smaller, lighter, more nimble sports car. Sure the Cayman is modern and it's nice, the Porsche is a great car too and for 55k you can buy a lot of 911 for the money. If you wait a while you can get one of the new DFI 911s and so while your waiting - buy an NSX! Get a good one and you'll always be able to sell it for close to what you have in it. That's a nice little thing about the NSX - not so with the others!

You can buy an older 911 if you're looking for something that won't depreciate a whole lot more but then you won't get any better performance really. You sure as heck won't get the reliability factor you get with the NSX. I've had 3 911s and I usally keep my cars a short time but the NSX is different. If I sold my NSX it would be to get a later model. Untill some day way off when I might be able to afford the newer gen 911 with the DFI engines. I don't trust the other ones not the 996 nor the 997 with the IMF or RMS possibility.

I had a friend with a 996 and it may have been an early model - the ones that were supposed to have more of the issues I mentioned but he went 120k miles with it and had replaced his RMS but the car as far as he felt was ready to "move along" to someone else. Ohhh boy - wouldn't want to be the recipeint of that exchange. As others have said it is one thing to buy a 911 and another to maintain one. Oh my friend here - he's a mechanic and works at an independant Porsche shop.

Certainly the NSX will be as cheap to maintain as anything Honda makes almost - the NSX parts arent cheap but then there are just not that many you need. Engines are going a very long time without major work at all.

Lotus - mmmm, well not bad and much better since they don't build thier own engines or transmissions anymore although I had heard they were talking about doing that - I surely hope they don't make that decision.

In the end - drive some figure it out - it's your money - we can't convince you but this is an NSX forum. We have likes and dislikes but we've all made our decision and it's based on the same kind of thing you're doing now. Good luck in your decision. Oh, and we do have a great site of support and lots of nice guys and gals here.

For the record, the 996 Turbo doesn't have the RMS or IMF problems that the normally aspirated cars had. In fact, the 997 Turbo used the same engine until the last year when they switched to the 3.8 liter DFI. Just wanted to point that out as the 996 Turbo is a fantastic, reliable daily driver that can both take you to the corner store in the middle of a snowstorm and light your hair on fire at the race track.

Hey

I too have been a fan of the nsx for quite a long time and i must say i wish i was in your situation...lol ..for me that day will come i will own an nsx one day...no other car out there is for me ...my wife says im crazy for having this obsession with the nsx but i cant help it

good luck with your choice ....hoping one day that ill be able to own an nsx

Well stated Tim!

I had to bump this thread because I just spent the day with a caymen S.I was instructing a student all day with an 08..It very much is a german nsx.Any nsx owner could easily feel comfortable in it.The stock suspension is set up more twords track performance than the oem nsx though.He had some sport exhaust which made it sound kinda like a cup car.My only complaint is my pet peeve with porsches in general,the dash is too high.

Back