NSX or something else?

HI,
First off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Trung and I'm from Houston, TX. I've always wanted a NSX since I was a child. I sold my beloved s2000 about a year ago in order to get a 2004 nsx that a local dealership had. Unfortunately, it was sold a day before I can come back and purchase to a member on here.
I ended up buying a 2008 Lexus ls 460 instead. I love the car. The only problem is that I feel and look old in the ls. Well, I turned 25 last week on the 18th and my SO finally let me go get another toy. I had to talked her into it. The ls is already paid off and the house is also, so it wasn't hard talking her into it. :)
Here are is problem. I can't quite sure which one I want to get. My budget is 50-55K give and take a few. I don't want to push it.
Here are the list of cars that I've always liked.

2002+ NSX
07+ corvette Z06
05+ viper
porsche cayman

I know this is an nsx forum, but I would love to have inputs owners with these car also.

I have driven all of these cars and have a 91 NSX. The Z06 and Viper are really in a different performance category than the NSX. It's difficult to compare them because they are so different. If you like brute force power and speed, they are definitely great cars and you should consider them. The massive power is very exciting, but can get tiresome after about 20 minutes of driving. Not to mention these cars can be quite a hand full- they have more than enough power to easily kill or seriously injure you if you lose control of them. They deserve respect and a good deal of performance driving instruction.

The Cayman is a nice car and is much more similar to the NSX than the Z06 or Viper. It has all of the nice "new technology" stuff like navigation, modern brakes, etc that you can't really get in an NSX. If I wasn't such a huge fan of the NSX, I would own a Cayman S. Personally, I think the early NSX coupes have a more raw sports car feel to them and for that reason are more fun to drive than the Cayman, which like most new cars feels somewhat numb and detached from the road. Also, the driving position and cockpit view of the NSX are unmatched in any car except for perhaps the Mclaren F1. If you have the Cayman on your list, you should also look at the Nissan 370Z. It is a baby GT-R.:)

I strongly recommend that you drive all of the cars on your list before buying. We can trade stats and opinions on the internet forever, but it really comes down to what you like for yourself. The only way to know that for sure is to drive the cars. Good luck with your search.

This question has been beat to death here, but I'll take the bait anyway.

My first question would be for $55k, why the Cayman and not a late model 911, but that's just me. The Cayman has the feel of being a little more tossable, but other than that I just don't get it. I've had a 911, Viper, and an NSX (of those related to your list, anyway). It's all about what you're looking for. At your age, unless you're Billy Johnson :biggrin: I really would advise against the Viper and the Z06, as Honcho did. I realize I'm generalizing with my assumptions on driving capability, and no offense intended, but I'm just going with the odds.

Your best bet as a first serious toy, especially to your 'SO', would be the NSX. You'll fall in love, guaranteed. You'll enjoy driving it, guaranteed. And if you feel that you want something else and decide to get rid of it, you'll do better on resale, guaranteed. Show your wife that you're smart at how you buy and sell your toys if that's what it comes down to. The NSX has equally high rewards in pride of ownership, and gives you little downside risk of looking like an ass with your money. In the future she won't blink an eye when you tell her you're buying another car. I'm your 'Prime' example!

Joe

Thank you for the inputs. I really appreciate it.
I test drove a 370 at the dealership a few months ago, but didn't like it. The way it look doesn't have the wow affect on me either.
I drove my friend's z06 for a week when he borrowed my LS. I love almost everything about the car. The power was pure amazing. I feel like I'm on a motorcycle but on 4 wheels. ( I race motorcycle once in awhile at the track)
I just love the looks of the Viper. I figure the power band should be a little bit more than the z06. I'm not a fast driver in public road so I won't have to worry about making a fool out of myself. The only thing I do not like about the car is the interior.
As for the cayman, I keep seeing one every day. The more I see it, the more I like it.

my list is really down to the z06 or the nsx since I have driven both and love both. It's leaning more toward the NSX. You brought up a great point. My girl will drive it once in awhile. The nsx would be more forgiving.

You're on an NSX forum asking which car we'd prefer, an NSX, a Corvette, a Cayman or a Viper...

Come on, seriously? :rolleyes:

Many here could have any of the above (some have a few of the above) but we have the NSX.

Personally I find it amazing people cross shop the Z06 with an NSX. It basically just tells me you don't really know what you're looking for.

You're on an NSX forum asking which car we'd prefer, an NSX, a Corvette, a Cayman or a Viper...

Come on, seriously? :rolleyes:

Many here could have any of the above (some have a few of the above) but we have the NSX.

well this is the only forum i know of that have the highest chances of other owners owning these cars also. i know if i go to a viper forum, they'll say viper. corvette would say corvette and ect. I know most here would say nsx, but I'm asking for inputs on other cars if you do own one or owned one in the past. the goods and the bads.

Personally I find it amazing people cross shop the Z06 with an NSX. It basically just tells me you don't really know what you're looking for.

what's wrong with that?

or do you want me to cross shop a z06 with a shelby? I just listed cars that I would want to own. Too bad I can only get one at the moment. So I'm seeing what others have to say about them. I personally drove the z06 for a week thats why i like it so much. The nsx as always been my dream car. Too bad I only had an opportunity to drive it once. Didn't get to feel it yet.

So it's not really cross shopping a z06 vs nsx, but between something I really like or something I've always wanted. As for the viper, it's just awesome to look at. Cayman just because it's starting to grow on me.

what's wrong with that?

or do you want me to cross shop a z06 with a shelby? I just listed cars that I would want to own. Too bad I can only get one at the moment. So I'm seeing what others have to say about them. I personally drove the z06 for a week thats why i like it so much. The nsx as always been my dream car. Too bad I only had an opportunity to drive it once. Didn't get to feel it yet.

So it's not really cross shopping a z06 vs nsx, but between something I really like or something I've always wanted. As for the viper, it's just awesome to look at. Cayman just because it's starting to grow on me.

I have been all over the car tree (2 NSX's - now on my 3rd, Jeep SRT-8, 2 S2000's, 06 911) and I'm now back at a 91 NSX. More on that later.

I was seriously considering the new Corvette Grand Sport but after driving a few of them and a mates Z06, I was impressed immensely by the performance and sound, however it was no NSX. A close friend of mine has the Viper SRT10 and its nuts. Mental to be honest. Its raw and it gets rather warm pretty fast (door sill, center tunnel). As you've noted the interior isn't great but it sure looks amazing from the outside.

My 2006 911 was a fantastic car but the servicing costs were enormous and I didn't like driving it for fear of breakage (no warranty on it either). So, cost aside I came back to the NSX knowing its relatively easy to care for and inexpensive to service.

As others have noted we can write all we want but its the test drives of each that will determine which one you should be in.

As for the cayman, I keep seeing one every day. The more I see it, the more I like it..

This is a good reason NOT to get the Cayman.

There are 2 sitting in my work parking lot everyday and at least 3 other 911's that look VERY similar. I can drive down to the grocery right now and see at least 2 Vettes on the way. Vipers are rare, but totally different experience than an NSX. The WOW factor of the NSX is great...of course I'm biased :wink:

Last edited:
well this is the only forum i know of that have the highest chances of other owners owning these cars also. i know if i go to a viper forum, they'll say viper. corvette would say corvette and ect. I know most here would say nsx, but I'm asking for inputs on other cars if you do own one or owned one in the past. the goods and the bads.

That makes a lot of sense, but honestly, the best way to find out is to attend a meeting and ask for a drive. Decide what it is you want out of a car and then drive one. If you ever come out near Half Moon Bay you can drive my car.

You really need to put your butt into the driver's seat and do some good old fashioned tested and driving of each car. When I bought my NSX I spent time testing extensively these cars against it... 996, Elise, Esprit, 348, 308/328, '02-'04 Maserati Spyder/Coupes (3 different), and '04 C5 Z06, '65-'68 Mustangs. All of the cars were priced less than what I paid for the NSX (with the exception of the F-cars that were priced similarly or as much as 40% more).

They were all very good cars in their own right and I'm still thinking I might get a 996 C4 or a '02-'05 Maserati (or a Boxster, Z3/4, SLK, TT Quattro) for the Missus.

The only car that seriously competed with the NSX for me was the Z06. Granted this was a C5 Z06 and not a C6, but it still had scads more power than the NSX and was really in a different performance category. However, the OVERALL DRIVING experience of the NSX is in it's own category. None of the other cars could compare to the overall experience. The NSX is just a great combination for me as a driver. It might not have the power of some of the other cars I drove, but it has ample power to have fun with, but the visibility, ride quality, fun factor, and cruise factor just sent me in the direction of the NSX. I also have wanted a NSX since 1991 and felt that even had I purchased the Z06 (since it was a serious contender for my money) I would still have wanted the NSX, and I probably would have been right. I don't find myself pining after the Z06 or any of the others though. Yes, I'm still considering purchasing one for my wife, but that is because she was surprised at how much she enjoyed recreational driving once she started driving the NSX.

I know it isn't much help, but my suggestion is to put your bottom into the left seat and see which one is right for YOU. Any of those choices would make a fine toy.

/rjp

EDIT - Damn Ken, why you gotta post up something while I'm writing out my response?!! :P I was saying the same thing, only a little more longwindedly! <-- That's right, I'm making up adverbs!

Last edited:
Hi Trung, first off Welcome! I think its a great question. Poking around this forum is a great way to decide whether to by an NSX and what year. I have a similar dilemma as I might sell my 95 NSX-T which I have owned for over 10 years, and deciding whether to by a C6 Z06 or an M5 or a newer NSX. (very different cars - however, I would enjoy driving any of them). If I had a 3 car garage I would likely keep my X and get the M5 (I convinced my wife its the perfect family car). About the NSX, even 10 years later, I get a kick out of driving it and still admire the way it looks. Its taken me years to even think about selling it and I am still unsure if I can do it!

Couple of things to note that I think make the NSX stand out:
1 - Wow factor: it turns head because you don't see a lot of them.
2 - Awesome looks: my personal opinion is that a well maintained NSX is still one of the best looking cars on the road today.
3 - RELIABILITY: The honda-factor has allowed me to drive this car for 10 years to 112K miles and only have to service standard maintenance items with one exception. My driver's side regulator just failed (but it was 15 years old!!!!). If you crunch the numbers, my car has not been expensive to own (ignoring any mods).

That being said, cars are toys. You are allowed to like more than one. If I had my way I would probably own about 8 very different cars all at once and you better believe the NSX is on that list.

PS: I have driven the Viper the Z06 and the NSX. I don't think the Viper could ever be a daily driver and I am not sure they are very reliable per a couple of owners I used to talk to regularly. Not a fan but i understand the appeal. I have heard the new Z06 has come a long way quality wise and can definitely be a daily driver, therefore one of my favorite cars ever built and in my list of 8.

What the C6 Z06 lacks on looks and refinement, compensates with POWER and BRUTAL performance for the money that almost no one can beat, reality is that a good Na2 will run between 40-50 K's, so, it's unavoidable to cross shop / compare each other, based on price, I am a believer that the best garage is with both of them :)

Oscar

I have been all over the car tree (2 NSX's - now on my 3rd, Jeep SRT-8, 2 S2000's, 06 911) and I'm now back at a 91 NSX. More on that later.

I was seriously considering the new Corvette Grand Sport but after driving a few of them and a mates Z06, I was impressed immensely by the performance and sound, however it was no NSX. A close friend of mine has the Viper SRT10 and its nuts. Mental to be honest. Its raw and it gets rather warm pretty fast (door sill, center tunnel). As you've noted the interior isn't great but it sure looks amazing from the outside.

My 2006 911 was a fantastic car but the servicing costs were enormous and I didn't like driving it for fear of breakage (no warranty on it either). So, cost aside I came back to the NSX knowing its relatively easy to care for and inexpensive to service.

As others have noted we can write all we want but its the test drives of each that will determine which one you should be in.

ysoslow, jetpilot3 just about sums it up. It's really down to personal preference. Take me for example, looks are important, so that excludes the Viper and the Vette. Doesn't have to be super fast not cost an arm and a leg to repair. So NSX is the car for me. Now which one to get. Like the hideaway lights, didn't care if it had the 3.0 or 3.2 motor but wanted a targa. So I ended up with a '96. It's all up to you mate. Good luck in your search for a nice NSX..oh or should it be a Porsche, no problem lots of 'em same for the Vette and as for the rare Viper, damn all I hear is they are hot inside, brute force that gets old after a while. Did I say somewhere in this post...it's all down to personal preference. :wink::wink:

ysoslow, jetpilot3 just about sums it up. It's really down to personal preference. Take me for example, looks are important, so that excludes the Viper and the Vette. Doesn't have to be super fast not cost an arm and a leg to repair. So NSX is the car for me. Now which one to get. Like the hideaway lights, didn't care if it had the 3.0 or 3.2 motor but wanted a targa. So I ended up with a '96. It's all up to you mate. Good luck in your search for a nice NSX..oh or should it be a Porsche, no problem lots of 'em same for the Vette and as for the rare Viper, damn all I hear is they are hot inside, brute force that gets old after a while. Did I say somewhere in this post...it's all down to personal preference. :wink::wink:

Sidwac, is that a Monte Carlo SS in your pic?

For me, the Caymen doesn't have a wow factor.... neither does a Viper or Vette. I see them all the time.

I still can't get over the attention that this NSX gets.

This is interesting! When you have an NSX and a Viper together in the same sentence, and then asked which one?,................I think you are very confused.:biggrin:

thank you for the inputs. I'm taking down notes. :)
I'll do more test driving before making the final decision. I am very confused though. too many toys. I feel like a little kid being dropped off at a candy store but only being told to only get one item. Maybe one day I can have all. One can only dream.

Back