NSX in a video game....

akira3d said:
Actually, I wasn't aware that any of these games have entered public domain. Emulators are extremely cool (especially MAME), but I'd bet that it isn't legal to possess any of the ROMs these emulators use. What magazines have included them with CDs? I know there are a few Intellivision games that are offered for free download, but that's about it.

Actually some are. But very very few (maybe 1% of the emulated by MAME). I know some people of the MAMEWIP team and he told me that at the beginning they tried to contact some software house and the smaller one accepted to donate the older games to the public domain. The bigger one... of course not...

I would give my work (maybe made in 1982) to someone still willing to enjoy it. I am quite sure nobody would ever pay again to play the original Frogger... ;)

I am quite sure nobody would ever pay again to play the original Frogger... ;)

As someone who has bought classic emulated game collections and enjoyed games that have included emulated classics as value-added features, I would have to refute this statement. In fact, I plan to buy some for my Gameboy Advance.

Personally, I am extremely enthusiastic about emulation...those who write these emulators are preserving classic systems, allowing a game developer's original code and artwork to work with modern hardware so that new generations can enjoy these games (and learn from them). But if there's still money to be made from selling these titles, I can understand why the big studios would be hesitant to put them into the public domain (despite the ROMs being fairly accessible via the Internet).

Thanks NeoNSX for pointing out the NSX games available for my... err... daughter's Gameboy Advance SP.

Conrad, owning a Gameboy Advance is nothing to be ashamed of. I own both an original GBA and an SP version...need two so Valerie and I can link up! And my coworkers and I often link our GBAs during our lunch break. Playing Doom II on a portable system is quite a trip. :p

akira3d said:
As someone who has bought classic emulated game collections and enjoyed games that have included emulated classics as value-added features, I would have to refute this statement. In fact, I plan to buy some for my Gameboy Advance.

Personally, I am extremely enthusiastic about emulation...those who write these emulators are preserving classic systems, allowing a game developer's original code and artwork to work with modern hardware so that new generations can enjoy these games (and learn from them). But if there's still money to be made from selling these titles, I can understand why the big studios would be hesitant to put them into the public domain (despite the ROMs being fairly accessible via the Internet).

I understand your point. Rivisting old concepts in a modern way (or on handheld low-powered-CPU consoles that cannot profit of the latest technologies) is not bad. But most of us, play with them because they remind us of our older days. I have all emulated games on MAME, all of them (I love to execute the "Audit" and see that result, I am a geek you know? :D). I played in my youth with maybe 10% of those games I have and I still enjoy most of them.. because they remind me of such sweet days. Hours spent at the arcades with friends... I almost cry thinking about that. ;)

But do you think that a PS2-generation boy would care about Atari's pole Position? Or all of the WONDERFUL Capcom's games? Or Namco's Galaga? I do not think... and he's right. As most of us do not enjoy Fred Astaire's movies or Dean Martin's songs...

There is for sure a market for the old classics VG. And this market knows the emulation quite well and decides to buy them anyway (you, my brother also did, ... some other...). But "new users" of these games are extremely rare.

Again, I would be very proud being John Harris and knowing that 20 years later, there is still someone (you in this case) having fun with a little compiled piece of code (that took me days and nights of work ...and a very small pay). Something that requires more fantasy to appreciate then the modern game. But the result in the end is the same... having fun.

Here's two example letters of somebody that authorized the MAME team and the world to distribute and play with one of his games! I love that there are still people like Jay or Dale! :D

Date: 5.6.1999 2:11
Subject: Robby Roto ROM released for free non-commercial uses by author/owner

I used to write games for Bally/Midway in the 1970's and early
1980's. One of my less successful titles was Robby Roto.
My contract with Midway specified that after shipments dropped
below a certain level, that the rights to this game reverted to me.
Needless to say, this has happened.

I notice that Robby Roto is available on a few download sites for
MAME. I would like the world to know that as the legal owner,
the ROM images from Robby Roto are hearby declared free for
unlimited non-commercial duplication and play by MAME users.

-- Jay Fenton

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:31:08 -0700
Subject: RE: Forwarded message

Hello Aaron,
I've received email from Roger, Ed, and Howard giving permission to use the
roms. I've sent the ok to Al to release them to you. Good luck, have fun.
Remember that commercial use of the rom contents is prohibited, and each of
the fellows would like a copy of the final work so they can finally play
Gridlee themselves.
Thanks a bunch.
I know its going to be a pretty big job.
Dale Luck

akira3d said:

Conrad, owning a Gameboy Advance is nothing to be ashamed of. I own both an original GBA and an SP version...need two so Valerie and I can link up! And my coworkers and I often link our GBAs during our lunch break. Playing Doom II on a portable system is quite a trip. :p

I bought the GBA SP for my daughter's 6 year old birthday in May. My friends and coworkers say that I bought it for myself. So I try not to slip up on stuff like that. ;)

We... err... she only has two games...

Frogger
V-Rally 3

She actually plays V-Rally more than Frogger. That makes me feel better because I felt bad buying V-Rally instead of some Princess Barbie game...

I need to make sure she has more games than I do... that way it will still be "her" Gameboy. :D

She wants the Finding Nemo game. I'll buy that and then get myself GT. ;)

Speaking of the SP... there is way too much glare on that screen... do you know of any secrets? I wish it had backlighting instead of front lighting...

Speaking of the SP... there is way too much glare on that screen... do you know of any secrets? I wish it had backlighting instead of front lighting...

Way too much glare on the SP? Try playing the ORIGINAL Gameboy Advance. None of the lights available for the GBA work because of the highly reflective plastic covering the screen.

If you have a lot of light hitting the SP (like when you play it outside), try playing with the SP's light turned off. I haven't encountered many situations where I couldn't play my GBA SP.

I bought GT3 Advance as well as Finding Nemo for my daughter's GBA SP. =) GT3 is pretty fun... too bad it doesn't have a view from behind the wheel. (My favorite view for driving games.)

I haven't gotten the NSX in the game yet.

We also finally were able to drain the battery from the SP for the first time since it's initial charge. She opened it on her birthday on May 14. Pretty dang good! (We don't play too much.)

my consoles/computers were(dads in the early days);
and memorable games:
vic20/atari not so memorable ;)

commodore64 (paradroid,commando) joystick breaking games daley's decathlon.

tabletop original asteroids arcade machine and half a ton of those flip top double screen lcd games remember them?
i played a vectrex...once eeewww

amstrad discdrive version (last ninja,jet set willy,sabrewulf)

megadrive (sega genesis in america)(first in my town no-one had heard of it!) sonic hedgehog, shinobi

neo-geo -samurai showdown 1,2 & 3(favourite console of all time)

playstation 1 (return fire ADDICTIVE!,doom, grand theft auto)

xbox (halo,halo,halo.........its really good ;))

(plus i worked in video-games stores for 6 years and 'borrowed' consoles; super nintendo wolfenstein,f-zero,mario kart, 3D0 road rash, nintendo 64 golden eye, playstation 2 gta)

<B>AJNSX WROTE:
neo-geo -samurai showdown 1,2 & 3(favourite console of all time)</B>

LOL... Neo & the Samuari .... there's gotta be a joke in that somewhere. ;)

The NeoGeo was funky as... but the games were sooo expensive!!! The PC emulator is pretty good though.

ajnsx said:
half a ton of those flip top double screen lcd games remember them?

I sure do, those were back in the days. I believe most of them are made by Nintendo named under "Watch & Game" or something.

yeah neo, the console and the cartridges were huge, they looked so cool! BUt if you sold blood or had a connection for second-hand cartridges you were fine ;) I liked the exclusivity the price made the neo-geo and the joysticks were arcade controllers cool, hmm nsx........hmmm analogies

NSXJOY: so close yeah, they were 'game and watch' series. There were even some triple screen ones if i remember correctly.....
:)

<B>ajnsx</B> : hehehe... exclusivity.... :D I think "Final Fury" was the only game I would have considered buying for it.

<B>NsxJoy</B> : Yeah, i had some of those... they were sooo cool! I had a double-screen game of Mickey Mouse + Donald Duck as fire-fighters. It was the first time a geek was popular at school...:D everyone would huddle around to watch 2 people play it. ;) ...ah, the good old days before deathmatch LAN games. :rolleyes:

Here's a screenshot of <A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/hist_zelda/z50.html">Zelda Game and Watch</A> double screen. I remember a friend owned a triple-screen game... i think it was Donkey Kong or something... but i don't really remember. :( It had a large LCD in the center and two half-sized screens that folded out from the sides.

Don't know if you guys ever played one of the Nintendo <A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/hist_zelda/z51.html">game watches</A>... they were 'cool' too. :cool:

I still have my double screen Donkey Kong II Game & Watch...I think it still works too.

I finished GT Advance 3.

Man... I was working hard to win the NSX... it turns out to be the gold cup prize for the LAST championship race!

Fun game... I was just kind of upset that it was the last car to be won... I wanted to play with it the entire time!

That's OK... I guess they saved THE BEST FOR LAST! :D

<B>POWERED by HONDA</B> : Thanx for that report... I'll have to downlo....err..."purchase" a copy of GT Advance 3 for myself. :rolleyes:

Do you get to race with the NSX much after you complete the game? Can you rice it? :D

No, you don't get to drive the NSX at all after you win it. It's the last car you win. =(

I drove it once on the last track. It is NICE! =)

Yeah, you can modify the car. But it's not like Gran Turismo where you can actually change the settings. You just win parts that upgrade the car... and you "install" them by choosing it in the "Tuning" section. That's it. Very basic.

It is a really fun arcade racer... but the Gameboy Advance SP is my daughter's toy. I'm waiting for the PlayStation Portable and Gran Turismo... that will be my toy. :D

Actually, the S2000 I used throughout the game has better handling than the NSX!!! (It showed on the little stat bar next to the cars as well!)

But the NSX felt better (it had more power too!)

... we need more power for the real NSX's. :)

Anyone play Top Gear GT? That may be next on the list to buy for my daughter! ;)

Back