NSX CTSC compared to BMW M5

My big bro has a 2001 M5, his car couldn't keep up with my NA 2003 NSX. He love to drive my car every time he's in town.

Insteresting today, I dragged an brand new 997 TT today, that car just dusted me off at launch (I didn't know he wanted to race). 1/4 mile before we reach the freeway on-ram from a signal light, my car was about 3 car length behind, the guy was smiling and still gave me a thumb up, and I did the same.

You will be surprise how quick the NSX is, in stock or FI form.

A CTSC NA2 will have at least 400 to the wheel. When compare to a 500hp M5, the power to weight ratio will actully be a little better, so yeah, depend on how you launch the car, the NSX probably should win.

Good story.

Vance

Vancehu said:
My big bro has a 2001 M5, his car couldn't keep up with my NA 2003 NSX. He love to drive my car every time he's in town.

Insteresting today, I dragged an brand new 997 TT today, that car just dusted me off at launch (I didn't know he wanted to race). 1/4 mile before we reach the freeway on-ram from a signal light, my car was about 3 car length behind, the guy was smiling and still gave me a thumb up, and I did the same.

You will be surprise how quick the NSX is, in stock or FI form.

A CTSC NA2 will have at least 400 to the wheel. When compare to a 500hp M5, the power to weight ratio will actully be a little better, so yeah, depend on how you launch the car, the NSX probably should win.

Good story.

Vance

Vance

I don't think the 997TT was going all out. There is no way an NA NSX will ever keep up with a 997TT. I don't care if it has a Type R engine or not. I just saw a link about the new 997TT against a Type R in a drag race (11.9 sec vs 13 secs in the 1/4 which is a lot more than 3 car lengths)
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/12-04-06page-Porsche-997-Turbo-vs-Corvette-Zo6.htm

And no, a CTSC NA2 will not have at least 400 to the wheel. I, along with others who have it, range from 340-380 to the wheel.

I love my NSX but I'm at least realistic

Matt_337 said:
Vance

I don't think the 997TT was going all out. There is no way an NA NSX will ever keep up with a 997TT. I don't care if it has a Type R engine or not. I just saw a link about the new 997TT against a Type R in a drag race (11.9 sec vs 13 secs in the 1/4 which is a lot more than 3 car lengths)
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/12-04-06page-Porsche-997-Turbo-vs-Corvette-Zo6.htm

And no, a CTSC NA2 will not have at least 400 to the wheel. I, along with others who have it, range from 340-380 to the wheel.

I love my NSX but I'm at least realistic

You'll be surprise how many 997TT owners out there with no clue how to drive that car. The difference is that the quarter mile time can be very deceving because how that is all about launch skill, any thing after that is all about the power.

Well, 400RWP NA2 CTSC are common locally, I should have made that more clear, but standerd boost still gaves 400 to the crank, which again, more superior Power to weight ration than M5.

But anway, it's always fun to see how won, who lost. It is aboslutely amazing to see how many "fast" cars owner out there that really can't extract all those ponies in their car.

nsxsupra said:
The 997 TT on the video seems to be Tiptronic, which is acutally a tad quicker than the manuel 997TT. 0~60mph in 3.1sec sec in tiptronic vs 3.4sec stick. Automatic and turbo are perfect match for each other, you can pre-load the turbo for a hard launch, no loss of boost between shift, etc.

I agree with this statement based on following the many threads on 6speedonline about the 997TT.

Vancehu said:
You'll be surprise how many 997TT owners out there with no clue how to drive that car. The difference is that the quarter mile time can be very deceving because how that is all about launch skill, any thing after that is all about the power.

If they're driving the faster tiptronic, how hard is it to mash the pedal like the MB AMG models especially when the majority of the 997TTs are going to be tiptronic and the enthusiasts will know how to launch their car if manual.

nsxsupra said:
The # vary from car to car even on same dyno, same day. On low boost the highest I have seen up to now is 394rwhp. There are 400+rwhp NA2s running high boost with AEM EMS.

If you re-read what I wrote, I was responding to Vance's claim that a CTSC NA2 will have at least 400rwhp. He made a generalization that isn't true. He made it sound like if you had an NA2, then all you needed was the CTSC to reach 400rwhp.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you guys but just trying to stay objective so that owners who are thinking on the fence about getting a CTSC won't think that they can start taking on the world by just slapping that on there.

As for Ricky's (wheelman) car, I've seen it but never actually seen it rolling (always parked) :wink:
I'm sure his car is plenty fast with his setup along with the AEM.

disclaimer: I love my CTSC and my NSX and am not bashing it at all

Vancehu said:
Well, 400RWP NA2 CTSC are common locally, I should have made that more clear, but standerd boost still gaves 400 to the crank, which again, more superior Power to weight ration than M5.

I forgot to finish the previous post.

I agree with this part.

Matt_337 said:
I'm not trying to start an argument with you guys but just trying to stay objective so that owners who are thinking on the fence about getting a CTSC won't think that they can start taking on the world by just slapping that on there.
Matt,
It is perfectly ok:smile:. I don't like to get into arguments and don't enjoy them at all. I should just stick to posting pics:redface:

There is no way it can take on the world, only up to a point. Original debate was E60 M5, which is low 12sec to mid 12 car. The original comparision wasn't unrealistic or out of line at all. I have done quite a few tests, completely maxed out at E55 range (476hp). Sad part is we are just comparing a heavily modified NSX vs a bone stock newer car:frown:, but I still like this car better:smile:

Agreed. :)

Back on topic to the M5 and M6. Trap speed tells it all (118-120mph). No matter how fast we can get our CTSC'd cars through the quarter mile (in a similar time to them), those cars will catch up and surpass us.

Matt_337 said:
Agreed. :)

Back on topic to the M5 and M6. Trap speed tells it all (118-120mph). No matter how fast we can get our CTSC'd cars through the quarter mile (in a similar time to them), those cars will catch up and surpass us.

Can you shed some light on this? All things being equal, a car with a better hp/weight ratio will accelerate quicker. Does the NSX "run out of steam" sooner than a M5? Is it a gearing issue? It seems like the NSX should have superior aerodynamics and face less air resistance as speed increases.

No matter how fast we can get our CTSC'd cars through the quarter mile (in a similar time to them), those cars will catch up and surpass us.

Hopefully, we will shut it down before that happens:tongue: We hit it from a roll and he wasn't catching up anytime soon, in fact he shut it down first. I was waiting for him to come up and give him kudos for his car but he never rolled up next to me and kept a good distance behind me when we both entered the freeway leaving the "private" road.

hofffam said:
Can you shed some light on this? All things being equal, a car with a better hp/weight ratio will accelerate quicker. Does the NSX "run out of steam" sooner than a M5? Is it a gearing issue? It seems like the NSX should have superior aerodynamics and face less air resistance as speed increases.

I'm no physicist nor an expert in drag racing but from what I know, the trap speed is the mph that you are going when crossing the finish line. If I have a 114mph trap speed (which I do) and another car has a 119mph at the finish and we have similar 1/4 mile times, then if we used simple logic and extended the road to a 1/2 mile, the 119mph car would pass me as he and I are both accelerating. Both the M5 and M6 have all of this excess weight which hinders it from getting up and really really going. That is why theoretically, I could have the same 1/4 mile time if I drove both cars (manuals in M5 or M6) but would get spanked if the race lasted longer than a 1/4 mile. Keep in mind that the M5/M6 has approximately at least another 75hp compared to my car so once in motion, it can keep going.

As for gearing and all of that mess, I don't know what the gearing is on the M5/M6.

Matt_337 said:
If I have a 114mph trap speed (which I do) and another car has a 119mph at the finish and we have similar 1/4 mile times.
Matt,

I am not debating, just some interesting findings. 114~115mph should be the trap speed for NA1 with I/H/E+CTSC? NA2 with 6spd should be a bit higher, no?:confused:

Factor X got 118.8mph with NA1 6lb kit tuned, no nitrous:confused:, maybe too high.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119818&postcount=5
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119814&postcount=1

The trap speed "seems to me" to be somewhat co-related to E/T and wheel set up. Bone stock Z6 Z06 R/T, C/D, M/T, etc test times:
11.5 @ 127.1 12.3 @ 116.6 11.7 @ 125 11.7 @ 125 11.8 @ 125 11.6 @ 126.6 12.2 @ 120.7 12.0 12.2 @ 118.7 11.7 @ 123

Just something I tought a little bit interesting, actually thinking about it, 1/4mile talk is really silly:redface:

Here is my experience at roebling road raceway.

I was a passenger in both cars.

91 CTSC short gears and 4.55: we hit 140MPH in the straight coming out of turn 9 faster than the M5. The M5 also had about 100 miles on it. The M5 hit 150+ easily.

I personally do not think a NSX has a chance in a race to 150MPH. Just my 2 cents.

Jason

I believe my trap speed is low. It had been a while since I went to the drag strip and I felt like I let off on the throttle just a bit early. Of course, I only got 1 run in that day since I burned my clutch on my 2nd run.

Yes, drag strip talk is silly for an NSX but sometimes we just can't help it :smile:

Back