NSX CTSC compared to BMW M5

Rolled out of my neighborhood @ 8 a.m. to go to work today only to see a new shiny black 500 hp BMW M5 come along my right side. We both gave each other a thumbs up. I admire the BMW M5 and wouldn't mind owning one especially after all the great reviews and specs on the car. He followed behind me and went to a "private" street where I hit the gas and he followed suit. I gained about 3-4 car lengths and was still pulling when he let off. I looked down and the speedo read about 118 mph. We hit it from a roll when I was in first gear. Very nice car but I was a little surprised by my own car which is 97 w/ CTSC and 9 lbs. of boost.

Where are those lazy copers when you need them???? :biggrin:

(inside joke) :wink:

ok, now I know why I out accerlerated him. According to a recent dyno of a new M5, they are getting 415 hp and 309 lbs of torque compared to my car 381 hp and 274 lb of torque. Throw in the weight of a new M5 (4000 lbs) vs. an NSX (3000 lbs.) and you get the results. Here is the dyno run on a new M5. 500 bhp rating translates into 415? That a huge loss in power somewhere..17 %

2006_M5_Dyno.jpg

Last edited:
Ive lapped in an M6 and can say that at the end of the long straight, that car is going much faster than mine (CTSCd 02, based autorotor). The difference is about 145mph vs 155ish.

I have had the same experience with a BMW M6. From standing still I pulled away from the M6. From 50 km/h next to each other the M6 couldn't keep up my accelaration. Maybe above 200 km/h the M6 could be faster, but at 250 km/h the speed delimiter of the BMW will prevent the BMW to go faster.

Last edited:
Weight on the M6 shows to be 3770 lbs. The 1/4 trap shows to be mid 12's @120 mph.:eek: M5 shows mid to high 12's @ 118 mph.

BioBanker said:
Ive lapped in an M6 and can say that at the end of the long straight, that car is going much faster than mine (CTSCd 02, based autorotor). The difference is about 145mph vs 155ish.

Dave, I've lapped in an M5 and couldn't come close to carrying the same speed as my NSX through the corners at Tremblant. The power on the straights is almost awe inspiring though.

I agree with that Sean (in the corners) as my car was still lapping a couple seconds faster than the M6 with a better driver than I driving it, but with the stock rubber.

But it made up a fair bit of time on the straight.

Hi ppl,

There is a "mode" in M5 and M6 that limit them to 400hp....probably that could be on....beside that, there is a ton of gearbox modes that will affect acceleration...

here in Portugal... we have a friend who removed the speed limit, and reached 343km/h on the small digital speedometer on the beemer....he has a crazy ass video overtaking in top speed some freinds bikes...GSX-R 1000, CBR 1000RR, ZX10R etc....and from 200km/h forward..the bikes won't accelerate much more then the car...

these new M5 and M6 are awesome cars...and as i like NAs...man....i'm crazy about them.... ;)

well whatever the reason was, obviously a CTSC'd NA2 NSX is very close to a new M5/M6 in terms of acceleration. Even being that close is quite good I would say as these are two of the fastest cars around now. Of course I may never know this for myself it may only be a dream.... :frown:

UnhuZ said:
here in Portugal... we have a friend who removed the speed limit, and reached 343km/h on the small digital speedometer on the beemer....

I could believe 320 or 330 km/h but 343...? I'm sorry if I'm wrong but 343 km/h is pretty hard to achieve in a stock car IMO and I don't believe a stock M5/M6 can reach that speed.

TURBO2GO said:
well whatever the reason was, obviously a CTSC'd NA2 NSX is very close to a new M5/M6 in terms of acceleration. Even being that close is quite good I would say as these are two of the fastest cars around now. Of course I may never know this for myself it may only be a dream.... :frown:

Sorry to hear you are still in "Dry Dock" awaiting the Autorotor SC replacement. Any prognosis of when "that baby" is due? At least its winter and you not missing the best driving weather or are you a warm climate NSXer; if so you have ALL my sympathy.:frown:

|Adeel said:
I could believe 320 or 330 km/h but 343...? I'm sorry if I'm wrong but 343 km/h is pretty hard to achieve in a stock car IMO and I don't believe a stock M5/M6 can reach that speed.

well... the video of this test is laying arround in YouTube, StreetFire or something.....and many more...i thing a 4 ou 5 videos total of this M6....i'll try to find them....

EDIT:

here is one with the bikes (the 1000RR ended the 6th gear on the driver window :P) the last one is GSX-R 1000 K5

this one with the GXR-R1000 K5 and ZX-10R (they were untentionally holding up the beemer...so, the driver start the bitching, but we are all friends :P)

UnhuZ said:
here is one with the bikes (the 1000RR ended the 6th gear on the driver window :P) the last one is GSX-R 1000 K5

this one with the GXR-R1000 K5 and ZX-10R (they were untentionally holding up the beemer...so, the driver start the bitching, but we are all friends :P)

Ok, I believe you a little bit more, not quite 343 km/h, but I almost believe you :) Crazy portugals :D ;)

|Adeel said:
Ok, I believe you a little bit more, not quite 343 km/h, but I almost believe you :) Crazy portugals :D ;)

you can say that again :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
(the 343 is what the owner told he read on the little digital display above the gear reading)

i already topped off my NSX at 320km/h read....305km/h real ;););) but just once ;)

nsxsupra said:
I doubt the E90 M5 was running the normal mode. Sound like the other driver knew what was going on, and probably fully prepared and running the 500hp mode.

Isn't E90 the designation for the 2005+ 3-series after the 2000-2004 E46?

NSXGMS said:
Isn't E90 the designation for the 2005+ 3-series after the 2000-2004 E46?
It's a typo:redface:

If you read my post carefully You will see I did mention it as E60 M5 in the 2nd half of post.

nsxsupra said:
Stock NA2 NSX is just as fast as the E60 M5 running 400hp mode or 400hp E39 M5. When you add additional 100rwhp to a stock NSX, you can already figure, power is power. The results are rarely too far off the power to weight ratio.

Road & Track tested the E60 M5 at 4.1 sec. 0-60 and 12.4 sec 1/4 mile. The stock NA2 NSX has been known to do 0-60 in the high 4s and the 1/4 in the low 13s. Add a high-boost SC and it's easy to see how the numbers are very close. Depending on driver skill the SC NA2 NSX could easily stomp the E60 M5.

Back